Bring Me the Horizon
Sempiternal

by theNateman USER (9 Reviews)
September 1st, 2013 | 40 replies | 2,335 views

Release Date: 04/01/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Metal for the punk lovers hooray!

Let's make one thing clear before I begin. I don't like normally like heavy metal. I am a pop punk, melodic, rock n' roll, sing along song kind of guy. I enjoy the occasional mosh session, but for the most part, heavy metal is not included in my music repertoire. Hear me out though. The bands of the metal genre who catch my ears are usually those who are find a melodic side and lyrical intensity that i like. In the past, I have ran from releases from bands like Suicide Silence, a Touring Mate of Bring me the Horizon. Despite my initial misgivings on the entirety of the genre, I checked this album out, and surprising no one more than I, I found this album to be immensely enjoyable.

Bring me the Horizon are traditionally deathcore, heavy metal, screamo, etc band. But in this album, they diverge from their original sound so much, that it's hard to believe that the youthful, raucous, and chaotic band that released "Count Your Blessings" is the same band. As of recent, BMTH have created a sound that is more Ambient Rock, or Post-Rock than deathcore. Tracks like "Can You Feel My Heart" and "Sleepwalking" feel more focused on the songwriting and melody, rather than the chaotic and hard hitting guitar riffs. Other Tracks, like "Antivist" and "House of Wolves" crank up the heaviness and speed a few notches each. These track and bring on the heavy sound without sounding too chaotic or headache inducing. With lines like "the only kingdom you'll ever see is 2 foot wide and six foot deep" screamed with such intensity, it's hard for me not to sit back and go "damn. that's crazy stuff there."

Standout track "Shadow Moses" is probably the single most effective track that BMTH have put together as of yet. Oli's vocals are equal parts brain numbingly catchy and blisteringly intense. Lyrically his output is pretty darn good, offering some brilliant lines, but never pushing his limits; Oli knows what he's good at and he sticks to it, putting up his best material to date. The Guitars are fast and crushing, yet still melodic enough to bring return listeners of lighter music. The Chorus is catchy, and will become engrained in your head for hours. Album Closer "Hospital for Souls" is probably the best closing track i have heard this year. It transitions from ambient to crushing, to melodic, then in your face in a concise six minute passage. Lyrically, it has Oli's highest standard of writing. The backing instruments are brilliant. Every member of the band plays off each other highlighting each other's strengths and downplaying their weaknesses. This is my favorite track from the album.

Overall, this record is Bring Me The Horizon's most accessible album. Many old fans will abandon the band for "selling out", but it's a loss they can take. If they "Sold out" then they did so while creating an album that many would enjoy. The Drumming is tight and vicious throughout. The Guitars play like heavier Saosin meets Metallica. Oli's got a distinctive voice. The bass however is nonexistent, following the guitars to make them sound heavier. the Post Rock bits were deeply effective, and helped the band's sound to feel mature and fresh, even if the riffs sounded a little bit samey. Good effort from Oli Sykes and Co.

Anberlin LowbornThe Used Imaginary Enemy
Chiodos DevilIncredible' Me est. 2012
The All-American Rejects Kids in the StreetStory of the Year Page Avenue: Ten Years And Counting

September 1st 2013

This is irrelevant in a review

Digging: Banks - Goddess

September 1st 2013

Everything in this review is irrelevant.

Artuma

lmao the first paragraph

Digging: Le Pre Ou Je Suis Mort - Le Pre Ou Je Suis Mort

September 1st 2013

@Deviant, thanks for pointing that out. will be more concise with my following reviews.

September 1st 2013

How about just not writing any more? That would benefit everyone, not just you.

September 1st 2013

at least i'm trying. no harm done.

Play nice pit

September 1st 2013

"Bring me the Horizon are traditionally deathcore, heavy metal, screamo, etc band."

ahhh one of those OK

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

September 1st 2013

But it's no fun playing nice when I'm drunk!

Kman418

best review ever maybe

Digging: OutKast - Aquemini

September 1st 2013

@ Trebor -i was writing for those who are unfamiliar with the band and looking into them. just as i was before getting into the album.

September 1st 2013

I think he was referring more to the "etc" side of things than anything else

Damn Dev 3.2

SirDazza28
September 1st 2013

Too many reviews for this album. O_O

Decayingmajesty

This albums sucks. Decent review tho. Pos

DrGonzo1937
September 1st 2013

First paragraph is awful.

SharkEthic
September 1st 2013

they're neither heavy-metal nor screamo, and calling their sound more "Ambient Rock, or Post-Rock than deathcore" is ridiculous.

ThenamesTrenton
September 1st 2013

Cool review, but I see there's too many reviews for this album.

DrGonzo1937
September 1st 2013

Ambient lol not a chance

Decayingmajesty