Infernal Majesty
None Shall Defy

by Aaron Arneson CONTRIBUTOR (108 Reviews)
August 31st, 2013 | 62 replies | 2,392 views

Release Date: 1987 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Get ready to enter the kingdom of thrash

From the lightning speed guitar solos that kick off the album on 'Overlord’ to the satanic lyricism of the brutal title track, there’s simply no escaping the wrath of Infernal Majesty’s debut album. Released in 1987, the appropriately named None Shall Defy is a true gem of the thrash genre and should not be dismissed by anyone who takes a little metal with their morning coffee.

Formed out of Canada, Infernal Majesty seem to have learned from the best and they rarely put their foot to the brake on this release. The drumming is furious, the bass is impressive, and perhaps most importantly, the vocals are demented. The vocalist has a deeper growl than a lot of other bands in the genre, which is likely to please both fans of death metal and thrash alike. However, it’s the manic delivery that makes the vocals so intimidating on this record. At times, such as on the opening track or ‘Skeletons in the Closet’, he’s so damn fast it’s hard to keep up with his spastic performance. Other times his low, raspy vocals are easier to understand, but just as skillful and add character to every song.

The production on None Shall Defy is slightly raw, but not enough that you can’t hear the evil instrumentation that outlines every track. One of the most enjoyable moments on the album has to be the one-two punch of ‘R.I.P/Night of the Living Dead.’ Some excellent guitar-work on ‘R.I.P.’ leads into the next track which is 7 minutes of heavy riffing alongside one of the most enjoyable vocal performances on the album. The song benefits from taking its time rather than just being a lesson in speed, but isn’t any less sinister than its surrounding tracks as it's backed by some of the most terrifying lyricism on the entire record.

This isn’t just your typical thrash release. It’s a relentless ride into the darkest recesses of your imagination. Whether you usually stick to death metal, thrash, or even black metal, there’s a little something for everyone to enjoy on this fantastic effort. It’s one of the most unforgiving and well crafted albums in the genre and it never loses steam throughout its 50 minutes of thrashing. In fact, it will have you coming back for more, in exchange for your soul, of course.

Trvth ApproachingAgalloch The Serpent and the Sphere
The Byrds Mr. Tambourine ManSomos Temple of Plenty
Fireworks Oh, Common LifeA Slow Descent On Ganymede
recommended by reviewer
Torture Storm Alert

19451 Comments

Trying to get back in the swing of things. Tried to have some fun with this one but any feedback is always welcome. Album is awesome.

Digging: The Who - Tommy

manosg
August 31st 2013

Excellent choice for a review dude. Album rules and your review did absolute justice.

"should not be dismissed by anyone who takes a little metal with their morning coffee."

Well, I've stopped drinking coffee when I quit smoking but I do enjoy some metal with my morning orange juice.

haha thanks manosg m/

damn no coffee eh? I should prolly cut back myself lol. Yeah i wasn't sure if that coffee line was too much but just wanted to have some fun with this one.

93 goddamn

lol treb.

i haven't even reviewed nearly as much as you lately but I see you're kind of catching up ;)

My plan is to get to 100 in december

manosg
August 31st 2013

The coffee line is great. Whole review is well written and fun to read.

19451 Comments

@manosg, you're too kind :] glad you enjoyed it man. I'm assuming you've heard Torture - Storm Alert? The vocals in this kind of remind me of that.

@Trebor, good luck man. I've written 93 in a year basically but i feel like my first 10-20 are pretty bad

JamieTwort

19981 Comments

Great review bro. Album rules.

19451 Comments

thanks as always JT, glad you like it

August 31st 2013

"i feel like my first 10-20 are pretty bad"

This is true for everyone

Insurrection

20636 Comments

atari review sweet. nice job as always

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

Scoot

yep album is dope

Digging: Unjust - Glow

Omaha
August 31st 2013

Cool, man, you've improved as a writer

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

Thanks Ins!

@Omaha, wow thanks for the compliment man I appreciate it! Gonna try to start writing more regularly again so ill do my best to keep up the quality ;)

Mister Twister
August 31st 2013

this is as close as im gonna get to you checking out majestic isnt it

Calc

11989 Comments

I'll never listen to this.

that being said good review mayne.

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02