Avenged Sevenfold
Hail to the King

1.0
awful

by MegaMetalHeadBro USER (8 Reviews)
August 29th, 2013 | 27 replies

Release Date: 08/27/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Absolutely atrocious vocal performance coupled with terrible guitar work leads to awful album

It is truly coming to something when even people who despise Avenged Sevenfold with a passion are finding a way of praising M Shadows’ vocals and Syn Gates’ guitar solos on their newly streaming sixth studio album. One of these people had listened to the album once and decided it sucked and given it a 1, whilst another gave it a 2 and found a way of slipping in praise for one of the worst vocal performances in history. Thankfully, I am not one of these people. This album is atrocious throughout and the vocals are perhaps the most terrifying thing about it.

The guitar riffs are about as awesome are as adverse to society as such things as war and aids, whilst the drummer clearly has a dire hatred for “The Rev” as he decides to completely piss away any form of credibility this band’s drumming ever had on this one performance. Take a listen to the “classic metal” influence in the title track for an example of this album, and going from that song onto the full album is like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. Not a second of this album contains anything remotely redeeming aside from the huge sigh of relief you get when it finishes playing and you know you don’t need to throw away any more time on it.

The vocal performance takes the absolute worst seconds of albums like City Of Evil and adds an even more nasally, hoarse spin to it to the point that it is mind-meltingly bad. “Requiem” is an example of this with its atrocious, stupid and ridiculous attempt at singing. I know it’s hard to sing whilst choking on phlegm at the same time, but was there really any need to record it and put a sticker on the front calling it an album? Whilst on the subject of the front of the album, what possible reason could the band have to zoom in on the band’s logo (the ridiculously titled DeathBat) and use that as the front part of this album? Seriously?

This album is as devoid of creativity as could be thought, from the ridiculous mumbled, muffled spoken word section that sounds like someone has smoked a hundred cigarettes a day for the track, to the awful attempt at slotting in a choir to open up “Requiem.” Nothing about this album speaks to anyone except record labels as the attempts at being catchy (a.k.a. annoying, irritating, nauseatingly bad choruses) and will appeal perhaps to a minor-league audience. But aside from that this has no real market. This is just flat out terrible musicianship and a terrible vocal performance that throws away any credibility the band may have maintained.

Lamb of God ResolutionNine Inch Nails Hesitation Marks
Joy Division Unknown PleasuresBring Me the Horizon There Is a Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It
Annihilator FeastAnnihilator Never, Neverland
2.4

Curse.
August 29th 2013

The totally needed your review

Digging: Beach Slang - Cheap Thrills On A Dead End Street

Insurrection
August 29th 2013

not your worst rev skele, not your best either. this album is pretty bad

Digging: Aspherium - The Fall of Therenia

Scoot

worst band and their fans are even worse

August 29th 2013

Sweet! Just finished downloading!

Digging: KEN mode - Reprisal

Scoot

worst band and their fans are even worse

August 29th 2013

Ya true. Their fans can lick chodes for all I care.

Twelvetribes230
August 29th 2013

Album isn't that horrible like their last album, but it's just so boring. The riffs just repeat themselves throughout the whole song and the drums are so simple. I know they wanted to make so songs have a groove feel, but its just gets boring after a minuet into the song and doesn't really go anywhere.

StallionMang

OhCarrots

Eat shit and die

Rawben
August 29th 2013

This album actually got decent reviews from other review sites. Why!?

Digging: Celldweller - End of an Empire - Chapter 01: Time

August 29th 2013

I'll listen to this after new NIN, which I'm listening to when I finish Colored Sands. I'm in the mood for some shit music. Not NIN and Gorguts obviously.

Rawben
August 29th 2013

BTW I actually liked your review... it seemed like a review and not a rant.

Green Baron

20000 Comments

shitty shit shit

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

SitarHero

Better than BVB, agreed.

dante1991
August 29th 2013

No, it's not THAT bad. It's still way better than the self titled album. It is a bit generic in places, but I enjoyed the second half of the album and there's no way it's a 1. Just the haters giving it way too much hate, fans of the band will find some to enjoy here.

Freddey
August 29th 2013

What's with all of these reviews already?

Milpool

Brendan Schroer
20 August
So I'm listening to the new Avenged Sevenfold album... honestly, this is really hit-or-miss. Some songs like Requiem and Shepherd of Fire are great, but then there's something like This Means War, which sounds exactly (and I really mean exactly) like Sad But True by Metallica. So far, this is getting a 3/5 from me. Not sure where the rating will go from there. Goodnight, everyone.
Like · Comment

Acedia Lechery likes this.
Lloyd Newgreen better than Holy Diver agreed ;-]
20 August at 18:19 · Like
Brendan Schroer People are never gonna let that go xD
20 August at 18:20 · Like
Mark Laughton Its not as bad as claimed but its semi decent
20 August at 18:28 · Like

dante1991
August 29th 2013

I think it's pretty funny that Metal Hammer gave it a 9/10 and said it was one of the best metal albums of recent years...

OhCarrots