Arrayan Path
IV: Stigmata

by warlordfun USER (7 Reviews)
August 28th, 2013 | 25 replies

Release Date: 06/10/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Arrayan Path expand their sound to something great

IV: Stigmata, the fourth full length album by Cyprus-based neoclassical power metal act Arrayan Path, is another solid notch in the band’s belt. With their previous albums they managed to prove to the power metal scene that they were a rising force to be reckoned with, although, their inability of absorbing and balancing their influences was a downside for the band’s career. Until the release of the excellent Ira Imperium, Arrayan Path were nothing but a solid power metal band, but the release of IV: Stigmata shows a band, which expanded its musicianship to a whole new level. If nothing else, IV: Stigmata is an enjoyable outing that presents Arrayan Path as a more confident and dynamic band than its previous releases.

In IV: Stigmata, Arrayan Path take their sound into a more straightforward and heavier songwriting approach, while the lyrics deal with the Christian mythology. This is in contrast to Terra Incognita and Ira Imperium, where the Cypriotes incorporated an emotionally invested and bombastic retelling of various ancient myths and cultures. First and foremost, the lead guitar lines are amazing, with blazing fast arpeggios and melodic classically infused scales. There is much stronger emphasis on galloping rhythms and speedy segues, like the chorus and main riff on Midnight and the First-Born Massacre –which is probably the album’s finest moment. The group never really breaks into the realms of speed metal, but the songs are intensive enough, so as to escalate your heart beating rate. On the other hand, there are some slower and more plodding songs to be found here, such as the beautiful Harbringers Of Death and the infectious Pharaoh’s Wish. The self titled track focuses a bit more on subtle symphonic elements and slow paced, melodic guitar lines, in an attempt to amplify the dark content of the lyrics.

The powerful weapon of Arrayan Path is the vocalist and band founder, Nicholas Leptos, who seems to be a lot more confident in his singing duties with respect to past releases. He attains an extremely melodic mid-pitch vocal range and as a vocalist, i could consider him as a crossover between Roy Khan and Fabio Leone. Listen to The Bible Bleeds or Midnight And The First-Born Massacre and you will see what i mean. Some weaker moments though, such as The Storyteller couldn’t be avoided. It would be very nice, if the album closed with one epic song, but this isn’t enough to downgrade the album’s quality.

To sum it up, the dark concept of the lyrics and more brooding atmosphere help set this apart from other contemporary power metal acts. If you dig bands like Rhapsody, Kamelot and Iron Mask you will appreciate what the band has to offer here. IV: Stigmata is the best Arrayan Path release to date and it is another landmark in what is growing to be a monumental discography.

Overall: 4.2/5
Recommended Tracks:

Heavens Gate Livin' In HysteriaSacred Warrior Master's Command
Medieval Steel Medieval SteelWarlord The Holy Empire
4.2

August 28th 2013

Hey guys, i hope you like my review.
If you are new to this band take a look, please:

Clepsydra

Midnight And The First-Born Massacre

Stigmata

Cassiopeia

Mystic Moon

Liberation Song

humm, no comments. sigh

August 28th 2013

Was expecting some "Keepin it white, keepin it right", NSBM, hopes foiled, leaves thread dejected.

Digging: Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith

Good review Mr. Man.

August 28th 2013

@BallsToTheWall what exactly are you trying to say?

@BallsToTheWall thanks

August 28th 2013

I was expecting this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M18BtleeCgs .

August 28th 2013

@BallsToTheWall, ahh ok my bad.

August 28th 2013

Overall, this is a very solid review. Have a pos.

Constructive criticism:

*Your "I's" in your review are lower case.

*I noticed that you have both the album names and the song titles in bold. From a formatting perspective I feel your review would look more professional if you italicized the album names and put the song names in qoutation marks. About 95% of the experienced writers on Sputnik do it that way as a universal thing. Regardless, you could do it your own way but it would be nice to see some type of distinction between the two.

In regards to my interest in this album/band:

Just from the simple fact that you mentioned this vocalist has Roy Khan-like characteristics, my interest has increased. Perhaps, when I have time, I'll give those links you posted a listen.

Digging: Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence

August 28th 2013

@CaptainDooRight, i appreciate your constructive criticism. I'll bear these things in mind, i'm trying to improve my reviews, believe me.

manosg
August 28th 2013

Well written bud, have a pos.

Digging: Acrimony - Tumuli Shroomaroom

August 28th 2013

thanks dude. check this album out, you won't regret it!

manosg
August 28th 2013

I've added a couple of the tracks to my list and I'll give them a listen, I trust your taste.

Voivod
August 28th 2013

Good review overall, kudos for writing it and pos, the band is tight indeed.

Digging: Aeon Sable - Visionaers

August 28th 2013

@manosg, that's great, and please share your opinion with me, when you'll listen to these songs

August 28th 2013

@Voivod, Wow thanks for taking the time to help with some of this. Your constructive criticism is more than welcomed!

August 28th 2013

hey bro, glad you like my review. You won't be dissapointed by this album!

lostforwords

Good review, pos.
For some reason I was lead to believe they were an epic metal band, but they sound like a 90's Italian
power metal act instead (Labyrinth, Rhapsody and Symmetry), which is fine with me!

"Good review, pos"
@lostforwords, thanks man!
"but they sound like a 90's Italian power metal act instead (Labyrinth, Rhapsody and Symmetry), which is fine with me"
Yes exactly! Μan i used to believe that Dickinson, Fabio Leone, Geoff Tate, Rob Halford had their own unique voice, but in power metal (and other genres) you will find so many vocalists with a similar voice quality!

aggelosm
August 29th 2013

very well written. Have a pos.