Metallica
Metallica

by DixieNormous USER (6 Reviews)
August 28th, 2013 | 45 replies | 2,032 views

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Metal Gods That Failed

Metallica was THE thrash metal act to beat back in the 80s, the only band that may have beat them as far as raw talent was fellow bay area thrashers Slayer - but Metallica always held the edge in fans.

Who doesn't remember the breakneck pace and lyrical genius of Master of Puppets? Or the slower paced, but even more powerful ...And Justice For All? The Black album was a huge leap backwards for the band in songwriting. And it seemed that Hetfield had misplaced his balls.

Where Puppets and Justice dealt with mature and thought-provoking issues including drug abuse, religion, and injustice, "Black" has Hetfield rambling on about issues like putting your kids to bed, being a wolf and science and technology. Huh? The only two songs on this entire thing I could listen to without cringing were "Sad But True" and "Holier Than Thou." The latter is the closest we would ever see Metallica come back to their thrash metal roots.

The rest of the album is simply a travesty. Lyrics are laugh-out-loud absurd. The guitar riffs have no real power behind the overpowered bass in them. Drums are too loud and have that annoying echo effect everyone and their mother were so fond of in the 80s. And Kirk mangles every solo because he's standing on a waah pedal.

The decision to go with Bob Rock. The absence from the studio, the yet to be acceptance of Jason Newstead as the replacement bassist. Boy things were never going to be the same again.

This was probably the ultimate turning point for this band in changing direction. It's just that for the vast majority of fans who followed the band didn't expect that change to be so drastic.The "black album" as it is called, is a heavily produced and slick sounding recording. It sounds fantastic but the band dropped longer complicated metal patterns and meaningful lyrics, for shorter songs, simpler catchy riffs, and two obvious ballads.

You either favored this change, or hated it. In the end I somewhere fell in between in this album mostly leaning to the disappointing side because it lacks a huge amount of creativity in song writing and musical chops that Metallica was so famous for displaying.

It is definitely one of those albums I have had that sits in my collection and gathers dust. If I ever find a use for the CD for anything besides a beer coaster I'll let you know. If any other band had made this album it would have been VERY impressive, but the reality is it was done by the founding fathers of modern metal, who just seemed to be throwing all of their uniqueness out the window.

In the end other bands came in and filled that void and still do, and I can't remember the last time I pulled out a Metallica album to listen to in a VERY VERY long time. And when I do pull out a Metallica album to listen to, it sure wont be this one.

Nirvana NevermindKorn See You on the Other Side
Thirty Seconds to Mars This Is WarLimp Bizkit Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog...
Def Leppard Hysteria

Minus.
August 28th 2013

This album is at the very least a 3.5, but anyway this is a well written review albeit a little goofy in some places. I havent decided if I should pos it or not.

WarmInTheWinter
August 28th 2013

"If any other band had made this album it would have been VERY impressive"

You literally say that the album is impressive, yet let your bias to the band sway you. That's not really looking at this critically. I'm glad at least to see that someone else gives it a negative rating.

LocustGrove
August 28th 2013

The silly metallica fanboys are going to neg this even though the review itself is well written. Typical sputnik...

Sniff

U all mad and horny?

Oneiron
August 28th 2013

Review is not well written. Review is also redundant.

JamieTwort

20014 Comments

I guess you haven't noticed but there aren't exactly many Metallica fan boys on Sputnik these days.

ButteryBiscuitBass

[2]

JokineAugustus

Cool sexhey! Have a pos.

Digging: The Chariot - One Wing

TheSmashBro

"Not thrash? Sucks."
No but really, this review is way too obviously biased. Also the way you interpreted the lyrics in this album made my cringe.

Jeffrulesyou
August 28th 2013

Metallica definitely sold out here, but it's a still a good album

Freddey
August 28th 2013

I have NEVER liked Metallica, the most pussy out of all the classic-metal bands, and i don't even like classic metal.

DrGonzo1937
August 28th 2013

The only Metallica album I actually like.

JamieTwort

20014 Comments

lol

DominionMM1
August 28th 2013

"Or the slower paced, but even more powerful ...And Justice For All? The Black album was a huge leap backwards for the band in songwriting."

lol implying that the songwriting was actually good on justice

Digging: Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood

JokineAugustus
August 28th 2013

Justice is better then this Dominion.

Decayingmajesty

good review.

DominionMM1
August 28th 2013

sure if you like repetitive, boring, uninspired riffs and shit production

BigRedSofa

Enjoyed this review. pos'd

manosg
August 28th 2013

"But with the 90s came the end of the band's domination. That was marked clearly with the release of "The Black Album."
What are you talking about? The album sold millions.

"The rest of the album is simply a travesty."
And you wonder why people neg?

"You either favored this change, or hated it."

I won't neg cause I don't want you to miss the point but your review is 100% biased.

XfingTheSullen
August 28th 2013

GODS for fuck's sake, not GOD's. Only the summary, and bad grammar already. Fuck this review.