Botch
American Nervoso

by OmNomsky USER (3 Reviews)
August 24th, 2013 | 22 replies | 1,165 views

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: We'll never see them again.

Overlooked and underrated, American Nervoso seems to be the most misunderstood of Botch’s releases. Anthology and We Are the Romans have overshadowed Nervoso in the retrospective manner eleven year’s disbandment can create. With Anthology’s short, digestible length and WATR’s arguably softer tone, Nervoso hardly stood a chance.

Botch's style, said to poineer the mathcore genre, was first introduced through their early E.P.s but was more effectively promulgated by American Nervoso. Botch refined their sound from their first releases into something tasteful yet abrasive. Track after track, Nervoso assaults the ears and mind of the listener in a manner that could make even the most grizzled and callous metalhead cringe. Naturally, this album is best received sadomasochistically. It reminds one of the glory in dissonance, and of the sanguinity in release. Throughout Nervoso, Botch creates a soundscape nearly unheard of prior, and unlikely to be created again.

For an album of such fervor, Nervoso utilizes tension and release remarkably, and in such a way that the album flows smoothly despite the generous use of dissonance. Transitions such as (0:52) of John Woo and (2:33) of Oma balance the sound and give the listener a break, although only to create space for the next incursion. However, at many times it can be difficult to tell the difference between tension and release on Nervoso. A riff will build up just to break into a new riff, equally as tense. That’s not to say it doesn't work however. Take Thank God for Worker Bees, for instance. The initial minute simply features distortion, yet when relieved of that restriction sounds completely different, freer, despite that the actual song remains the same.

Despite the abrasive tone of American Nervoso, many riffs, even entire songs break the mold of what genre-hardcore is assumed to be. Only three tracks in, Dali’s Praying Mantis defies the logic set by the first two tracks, featuring vocals that might be considered comical if they weren’t so unexpectedly tasteful. Then after the intro to Dead for A Minute, it’s back to business as usual (whatever that means). This general unpredictability is present throughout the album, and rather than presenting itself as simple eclecticism- which is less oxymoronic than it sounds- it appears as despondent, unapologetic hysteria.

If your head’s in the right (or wrong) place, American Nervoso can be listened to- and enjoyed- in a single sitting. It may require a touch of psychosis, or taste for the grim satisfaction of burning bridges, but regardless if you have either or both, Nervoso will surely outmatch the sweetest melancholy you've ever tasted.

If you don’t, however, it’s doubtful that you’ll enjoy yourself at all.

Joseph Ellery Castenell (3.5)
"It's so quiet in here..."...

David Driver (4)
Innovative and frantic, Botch begin their short career and install their legacy with their groundbre...

Gwyn.
August 24th 2013

"We'll never see them again"

:'(

Digging: diSEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence into the Peripheral

demigod!
August 24th 2013

awesome album i think i like it more than the EP

Digging: Failure - Magnified

DirEnRefused
August 24th 2013

Worker Bees is probably my favourite Botch track.

Gwyn.

Japam

DirEnRefused
August 24th 2013

Eurgh, maybe. They were so friggin' consistent. Even random shit like The Wizard is amazing.

DrGoatandTheWagons

best botch

Fluttertrank
August 24th 2013

"We'll never see them again."

geez, thats fucking depressing.

suppatime
August 24th 2013

yeah this album is wayyy overlooked

Fluttertrank
August 24th 2013

Hutton's Great Heat Engine rules.

wacknizzle
August 24th 2013

Yeeeeaaaa boy, this shit rules. Decent review, pos'd although I wouldn't be able to accredit Botch with being the creators of mathcore although it fits their sound well. Dillinger, Coalesce, Converge, Deadguy, and Botch created mathcore nearly at the same time in almost what seems to be a collective unconscious effort discovered through the progression of 90's hardcore.

Digging: Amenra - Mass V

Relinquished
August 24th 2013

yeah these guys took a lot of their sound from deadguy

wacknizzle
August 24th 2013

True, and Deadguy are the most likely candidate as the creators of mathcore. Although similar in vein I still think Botch are quite original no matter how much they worshiped Deadguy

Chesse

Rules.

Digging: Engraved - Before The Tales

OmNomsky
August 24th 2013

"I wouldn't be able to accredit Botch with being the creators of mathcore although it fits their sound well. Dillinger, Coalesce, Converge, Deadguy, and Botch created mathcore nearly at the same time in almost what seems to be a collective unconscious effort discovered through the progression of 90's hardcore."

I'll change that bit.
Anyways, "We'll never see them again" is the first line on the album.

ffs

so quick!!

Nikkolae
August 25th 2013

fuck, i love this band so much

Digging: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden

fromtheinside

summary is false.
they just realsed a new album
Wrongdoers

Digging: Transcending Bizarre? - The Serpent's Manifolds

Laughl13
August 25th 2013

I wouldn't say Converge really plays mathcore they're straight hardcore really Dead Guy is my shit though!!