Woe, Is Me
American Dream

1.0
awful

by TommyIcedB USER (16 Reviews)
August 21st, 2013 | 20 replies | 2,377 views

Release Date: 08/20/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Open wide; here comes the chug chug train

This is going to be a short review. There are two reasons for this. Firstly, because there really isn't a lot to say about this EP. And secondly, because I'm going to put the same amount of effort into this review as Woe, Is Me did into this EP.

It was understandable if you intended to listen to Woe, Is Me's new release, 'American Dream', looking for signs of improvement. After all, 'Genesis' suffered from being rushed out after multiple line-up changes, and being hurt lyrically by Rise Records influence - exploiting their so-called "feud" with Issues. You'd think that, now they've settled into their new lineup and the whole Woe vs. Issues shtick is behind us, 'American Dream' would be a step in the right direction for the "new" Woe, Is Me.

But of course, why step in the right direction when you can churn out even more of the same generic, repetitive crap that made 'Genesis' so bad?

Woe, Is Me put seemingly zero effort into this EP. 'Genesis' was criticised for using the same tired, recycled formula on almost every track, and sadly 'American Dream' follows that trend. Breakdowns, breakdowns, breakdowns! Oh, and then there's some simple chord progression for the clean vocals. Which, I must add, sound a lot lazier here. Did the entire band just give up?

Lyrically? Well, it still sounds like the same whiny, bitchy fifteen year old that wrote the lyrics for 'Genesis'. The titular track provides such gems as "To every motherf*cker who tried to bring me down/To every sorry f*ck who had no faith in me". Shameful.

You can criticise this review. It was lazily written, and hardly any effort was put into it. But, it's a review for 'American Dream' by Woe, Is Me. Why should there be effort put into a review for an EP that had hardly any effort put into it itself? This is one of the most downright asinine musical releases anyone could ever have the displeasure of stumbling upon. And that concludes my review of 'Genesis Part 2' by Woe, Is Me.

Snow White's Poison Bite Dr. Gruesome And The Gruesome Gory Horror ShowInsane Clown Posse The Mighty Death Pop!
Abandon All Ships InfamousThe Starship Destroyers The Rise of Alexander Powerslide
The Bunny The Bear The Stomach for ItBlood on the Dance Floor Let's Start a Riot
2.3
JaxonWaxonFlaxon (2)
A final attempt to make a name for themselves....

merpmerp (2)
Improving ever so slightly, Woe, Is Me have crafted an EP not worthy of praise, but not deserving of...

Number[s]

sspedding

these guys are a joke

BigPleb
August 21st 2013

Is this worse than Genesi[s]? haha.

Digging: Arc Iris - Arc Iris

nononsense
August 21st 2013

No it's better than Genesis, not by much

Digging: Invent, Animate - Everchanger

BigPleb
August 21st 2013

That 2.5 rating seems generous.

The777thVermicide
August 21st 2013

That 2,3 rating hurts my eyes. Band has no talent, the only thing that I heard is a constant chugga
chugga and lame lyrics made by a retard. People who rates this with a score above 1,5 must consider
suicide

nononsense
August 21st 2013

Yeah the 2.5 was a little generous. The clean vocals are really the only strong point and they save it for me.

ThenamesTrenton
August 21st 2013

Shit album, review is not impressive. Sorry brah.

Insurrection

ILJ

Woe, Is 1

henryChinaski
August 21st 2013

Kinda like the artwork, but I won't bother listening.

Digging: The Tidal Sleep - Vorstellungskraft

pjquinones747
August 21st 2013

I will listen to this to see for myself if there is any improvement.

I'm glad it's an EP because I'll know if it's shitty much faster.

Digging: GWAR - War Party

slep
August 21st 2013

if you weren't going to put any effort into this, why bother writing it at all?

DegausserGuernica24
August 21st 2013

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway had waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many chugs.

pjquinones747
August 21st 2013

Listened to the first three and had to skip the last two because I didn't care for generic acoustic bs to couple with the genericore bs. Actually very slightly better than Genesi[s] but still bad.

Genesis1992
August 21st 2013

This is sooo much better than Genesis...not sure why its hated so damn much, there is much worse being released

expassion
August 23rd 2013

And what were you expecting? A breakthrough? A 5-track's long outstandingly renditioned masterpiece? Of course it is generic, show me a post-hardcore band that isn't.

theKingsliar17
August 24th 2013

They should honestly just change the name of the band because there is only one original member left. In no way is there any resemblance to the original woe is me. Its a completely different band, with a completely different sound, that is generic and not very well written. Good review.

SirDazza28
September 6th 2013

I agree, they should change their name.