Avenged Sevenfold
Hail to the King

by AaronBatt USER (50 Reviews)
August 20th, 2013 | 14 replies

Release Date: 08/27/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: not QUITE as bad as others would have you believe...

I'm just coming out and saying it, Hail to the King is nowhere NEAR as bad as that God-awful Falling In Reverse record, despite the first round of 1 ratings. Is it a great record? Hell no. Is it better than Nightmare? If I had to choose, I would say yes.

Nightmare as a whole was cursed the moment Avenged Sevenfold's original drummer Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan died. Sullivan was by far the most creative member of A7X and that legacy died with him. Mike Portnoy was nothing more than a session drummer essentially on that album and the album as a whole suffered from obvious grief. It would have benefited Avenged Sevenfold much more if the band members had given themselves time to grieve and accept The Rev's loss instead of succumbing to the pressure of releasing Nightmare mere months after The Rev died. Nightmare was at best a scatter-brained effort and at worst the sound of a band trying in vain to immediately get over Sullivan's death. Had A7X waited a year or so to finish writing/recording Nightmare and then release it, the record may have been more better.

Which brings me to Avenged Sevenfold's latest record, Hail to the King. It is the first Avenged Sevenfold record with new "drummer" Arrin Illejay, who let's be honest is nothing more than a hired hand. Hail to the King is also the first Avenged Sevenfold record that bears their "new" sound. According to the band members, Hail to the King is more blues-rock/classic metal oriented (which I thought City of Evil WAS their first classic metal-inspired album? But whatever). The band pointed to the simplified and more groove-oriented drum patterns as the "new" template for their sound. Which is sort of true, since the guitars no longer shred away at a gazillion miles an hour.

Let's start with the first single, the title track. Are the drums annoying as ***? A little bit. Are M. Shadows vocals still nasally? Yes. But the song grew on me for some reason the more that I listened it. For some ***ing reason, Avenged Sevenfold decided to overmix the drums WAY above the guitars, which makes Hail to the King the album sound a "bit" mushy at times. Considering that one of the main reasons Avenged Sevenfold gained so much popularity was because of the notable abilities of Synyster Gates and Zacky Vengeance. At least you can hear the ***ing bass guitar a little bit. Shadows still sounds too nasally and whiny for my tastes, but it's not as bad as on past albums. The lyrics are still about God knows what, but who listens to Avenged Sevenfold for the lyrics anway?

Shepherd of Fire is actually a pretty good song, with a slight Pantera swagger that is certainly welcome. Doing Time begins with an absolutely retarded spoken-word section and the song itself is not much better. This Means War is a complete ripoff of Metallica's Sad But True (c'mon A7X, you even stole the vocal melody?!!!?!?). Requiem begins with hilariously bad Latin-chanting but the song has a weird sort of "epic" feeling that redeems the intro. Crimson Day (again) rips off Metallica's Black Album, this time the poor victim is Nothing Else Matters. Since A7X mentioned the Black Album countless times as an influence when writing Hail to the King, I'm not surprised, but seriously if Metallica has any artistic integrity left they should be preparing a hefty copyright lawsuit against Avenged Sevenfold.

Heretic has another Pantera-esque swagger, while Coming Home is meh. Planets may just be the best song on Hail to the King, as features a wicked riff and decent vocals from Shadows. The finale Acid Rain is a crapshoot, with an orchestra and piano and a bunch of other stuff, in an obvious attempt to recreate A Little Piece of Heaven (only without the hilarious lyrics).

I still don't know why in the hell the drums were mixed so high, but in the end Avenged Sevenfold's new album Hail to the King is not the complete natural disaster that others would have you believe. I'm no super fan of A7X, although I do count these guys as one of my occasional musical guilty pleasures. Hail to the King is certainly the heaviest Avenged Sevenfold album since City of Evil. Gone are the constant genre-jumping of the self-titled album and the weepy ballads of Nightmare. Instead, A7X locks in on a more groove-metal oriented style that might serve them well if they worked on developing it more. So I go back to my original question: is Hail to the King better than Nightmare? Yes. Is it better than the self-titled album. Close. Is it the abomination that the newest Falling In Reverse album is? God no.

So, there's my objective view on the new Avenged Sevenfold album Hail to the King.

Linkin Park The Hunting PartyCirca Zero Circus Hero
Zac Brown Band The Grohl Sessions, Vol. IMetallica St. Anger
Gary Clark Jr. Blak and BluJack White Lazaretto
2.3

hogan900
August 20th 2013

City of evil was ok... The rest is garbitch in my opinion, but I might check this out for a few laughs.

AaronBatt
August 20th 2013

Honestly, to me Avenged Sevenfold at this point is more of a classic metal parody band than a band that does anything super original, so that's how I look at this album. I don't take it too seriously.

JS19

Stop reviewing this after 1/2 listens people. it makes you look 14

Digging: Lights - Little Machines

imadrumbass
August 20th 2013

Sullivan did write almost all of the drum parts on Nightmare actually. Mike played them pretty much the same way Rev would have.

jackedupmachine
August 21st 2013

the only reason i have a 5 right now is because of these unfair reviews. I get not liking "This Means War" because of its extreme similarities to "Sad But True", i agree and i've only listened to the track once because of that issue. But I don't see how anyone could give the album a fair review after less than a day of the album being out. Everyone seems to be looking for influences that may be present but aren't clear rip offs of the artists. Every artist borrows, Metallica obviously borrowed from the NWOBHM and Sabbath, just like every artist borrows from every other artist that influenced them.

jackedupmachine
August 21st 2013

NeoSpaz
August 24th 2013

oh one of the people who set to balance out the ratings by fiving it

kudos

BFORD
August 25th 2013

jackedupmachine This Means War doesnt borrow anything, it straight up steals from Sad But True. Heres a mash up

BillMurray
November 6th 2013

This is yet another heavily opinion based bias ass review from yet another seemingly upset kid who thinks they know something
because a band sounds like it's influence. How do you think music happens nowadays? Someone gets influenced by a band or
bands and starts one of their own trying to get as good as those influences. This Means War sounds like Sad But True yes, the
build is alike but it is different more than it is alike it's not rocket science. If metal, alt metal, thrash metal, etc metal is metal bands
didn't sounds somewhat like their influence we'd have the justin biebers of metal for music.

Crimson Day and Nothing Else Matters are different, the sound and lyrics and meanings. It's not just a7x this website has opinion
based bias ass reviews on, it's damn near every band that is good. Less review and more like criticism.

What makes me laugh the most is everyone gets like teenage girls when a band sounds like it's influences, but when it's an actual
cover credit is given in a lot of cases. Disturbed did a nice little cover on Fade to Black which kicked ass. Metallica has done more
than one bob seger song which not gonna say sounds better because that'll cause a likely shit storm, but they rock in every aspect
of metal brought to those songs.

This site and many like it are a fucking...sorry a sad excuse of alcohol abuse and broken condoms. Now with that being said I'll be
on my way.

Spec

New drummer sucks.

MeatSalad
December 26th 2013

band is the definition of queef

Spec
December 26th 2013

Avenged Sevenfold: is an emission or expulsion of air from the vagina. It may occur during or after sexual intercourse or during other sexual acts, stretching or exercise. The sound is somewhat comparable to flatulence from the anus but does not involve waste gases and thus often has no specific odor associated.

Jennifer22
December 26th 2013

First time listening to this band. They're alright, I don't really hear anything special about them. The guitar and vocals kept me entertained for the duration of the album however.

Digging: Fair to Midland - Arrows and Anchors