Mew
Frengers

by Hogan CONTRIBUTOR (38 Reviews)
August 20th, 2013 | 61 replies | 2,846 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Listen closely, and you will remember.

Memories are an assortment of feelings and thoughts on past events. Mostly not needed, memories offer a person to return to the place where they can feel their happiest. This can also be reversed at the singularity to form a well-being of pure anxiety and depression. Remembering a dead family members can bring back thoughts of incline and solitude. You can’t bring that person back to life, but they can live in the harmony of your happy memories. Its incredible how time flies by and memories fade faster than they can be remembered. Subtle and calm memories disappear at the blink of an eye, while short pinches of pain and oppression remain dented into your skull. I can express every inch of detail in a memory of the car crash I went through, or the death of my grandmother. However I can’t remember the day where I first kissed a girl, or when I hit my first homerun. The symmetry of bad to good memories is buried deep in my brain, where no air or light enters. Then there is this rather interesting part of my memory that lets me remember little things that become etched in my head. These cannot be forgotten, but they are so little that it seems futile to remember them. One of these small fragrant memories residing in my head is the title names of every song on Mew’s Frengers.

It’s ridiculous that I haven’t listened to this album for a total of four years, and yet I can remember such a trivial thing as all the songs on this album. I don’t overplay it like I used to, or sing along to the opener every night as I lie awake in bed. The CD was kept undisturbed in an enclosed box in my attic for four counted years, the undying lust for this album was intimate at the time, and I still feel it in me now. Each lyric or hum buzzes through my head like a broken record, and every single angelic guitar line is etched perfectly in the soft spot in my memory. There is no way to rid my mind of something that meant so much to me. The darkest shadow could never replace the glow of Frengers, no matter how foreboding or sentimental the value of darkness becomes.

This is an album of questions and answers. Whenever you think the next song won’t be as good as the last, your blown away by the elegant response, breathing a fresh gulp of air and continuing. The angelic tone of the album is never replaced with heavier stones, but rather light feathers. Each song takes you up further into the clouds, and by the end it’s impossible to see the ground. The crushing symbolism in the lyrics can mean anything to anyone, and it means a hell of a lot to me. Farrah is meant to be the girl you hold dearest to you, but I see a different face each time. Symmetry asks me where I am, but I can’t begin to answer before the music answers for me, in a place of pure surreal beauty.

Frengers is an unforgettable album, with every song being well written and exceedingly well done. For the first time in four years, I’ve felt that little bit of teenage manifestation that I’ve longed for return. An album that meant so much for me back then, means even more to me now due to its longevity. It hasn’t aged a bit, and every melody produced can be comprehended by any listener to form their own thoughts on the material. Only a few albums have ever reached so far into my cranium to pick up what I value most, and decode them for me. Listen to this album, and remember what you hold dearest to you.

The Antlers HospiceColour and Codeine If I Die Tomorrow
St. Vincent St. VincentKashiwa Daisuke Program Music I
Have a Nice Life The Unnatural WorldThe Spill Canvas Sunsets and Car Crashes
4.2
Sean Rizzo (4.5)
Fantastic moods and beautiful sounds with little to complain about....

Chris Maziejka (5)

fuck yes pos

Digging: Obliteration - Black Death Horizon

August 20th 2013

Just undug the CD, can't believe this thing is still in perfect shape.

larrytheslug

am i wry????????????

larrytheslug
August 20th 2013

diamond ring, diamond ring!

avonbarksdale221
August 20th 2013

Great review dude, reminds me of chan's TDAGARIM review, and I mean that in the best possible way. I
actually downloaded No More Stories last night and have been jamming it non stop since then. This
sounds amazing though, can't wait to give it a spin.

Aids
August 20th 2013

I don't know who you are but I love you

August 20th 2013

This is a lot better than your Silverstein review I must say

August 20th 2013

yea just read this, really nice piece

August 20th 2013

I don't think I fully read chan's review of the devil and god, but he's a pretty Damn good writer. Soo ill take that as a major compliment

@trebor, that may have been the worst review I wrote on this site next to my story so far review..

And thanks aids c;

NightProwler
August 20th 2013

Such a great review, I pos'd. This album is amazing, I don't know why I don't have it at a 5

Digging: Neil Young - American Stars 'N Bars

Motiv3

Incredible album.

Digging: Opeth - Pale Communion

ZilbelPing
August 20th 2013

This is an amazing review and perfectly describes my situation with this album.

Pos'd

August 20th 2013

Thanks guys, thinking about it now I think I put forward a lot of effort into making this one. Guess the album just means that much to me.

Motiv3
August 20th 2013

What an amazing review and one that mirrors my thoughts with this album. This part especially got to me:

"Farrah is meant to be the girl you hold dearest to you, but I see a different face each time. Symmetry asks me where I am, but I can’t begin to answer before the music answers for me, in a place of pure surreal beauty."

I have had the exact same sentiments for years now.

Anyway, Pos'd.

August 20th 2013

My dad told me that symmetry was one of his favorite songs in college, it's such a nice peaceful song, and Am I wry? Is just an incredible opener.

August 20th 2013

Didn't mention comforting sounds it seems, damn.

Forgot about this band

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

mindleviticus
August 20th 2013

i've only heard and the glass handed kites and it's pretty damn good