Nine Inch Nails
With Teeth

by Tunaboy45 USER (11 Reviews)
August 19th, 2013 | 21 replies | 1,133 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Just How Deep Do You Believe?

In my opinion, Trent Reznor is one of the last true musicians. He has created some of the greatest albums of all time. Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile. All critically acclaimed albums. But there is an album that I feel is truly underrated. That album is With Teeth.

The album has some brilliant guitar work, which stands out in The Hand That Feeds, which is a song with a political tone, and the first single from the album. This is one of the only examples of an song on the album that has any angst, because this album has many mellow moments. This album was released after he got over his drug addiction, so that is something that should be expected. If you come into this album expecting The Downward Spiral part 2, you're going to be disappointed. If you go in with an open mind, this is an extremely enjoyable, if not perfect album.

All the love in the world, the album opener, is a mellow song with Trent singing "Why do you get all the love in the world?". The song is just over 5 minutes, but it's too long for its own good that's not to say I don't like it, I just feel it could've been shorter.

In terms of lyrics, the album has its ups and downs. Songs like Beside You In Time and Only really showcase what Trent can do in terms of lyrics. But then you have You Know What You Are? Which sounds like the lyrics were written by a nine year old who has just discovered swearing. There is a cool effect in the said song though, when it sounds like Trent's voice is glitching, and I thought there was something wrong with my CD.

When I first heard this album, I was confused. Because this was my first NIN album, and I'd heard so many good things about Mr. Reznor and his music, I was wondering what I was missing. But then straight away, I listened to it again, focusing on the instrumentation and the vocals and it all started to come together. This is an album that requires your dedication as a listener, otherwise you aren't going to enjoy it as much. The songs captivate you as one flows into another, and you are swept away by the layers of guitars and synths. Not many albums can do that. It takes a intelligent and skilled musician.

This may not be a masterpiece, or a genre defining album, but it's a damn good piece of music, and with hesitation marks coming out in about two weeks, maybe we'll get a perfect album. Only time will tell.

Rammstein MutterStone Sour House of Gold and Bones - Part 1
Five Finger Death Punch American CapitalistMarilyn Manson Born Villain
Kidz Bop Kidz Kidz Bop 23Deftones White Pony
user ratings (1926)

ThrashTillDeath94
August 19th 2013

Nice write up, I enjoyed reading it. Pos'd.

Digging: Royal Blood - Royal Blood

HolidayKirk
August 19th 2013

This reads like you should be stammering it it in front of your 5th grade classroom.

You make too many points with no support. Why is Trent one of the last true musicians? Why should All the Love in the World
be shorter?

2028 Comments

The song feels like it just goes nowhere.

Digging: Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

20776 Comments

album is one of trents weakest efforts. last three tracks are great though

Yeah they are.

20776 Comments

theyre ok. definitely didnt name myself after that song or the fucking trivium one

2028 Comments

Haha just wondering. What's your favourite NIN album?

20776 Comments

its cool lol. the fragile and TDS are basically perfect to me, depends on my mood really but i listen to the fragile more. yours?

2028 Comments

Same as you really. It'll be interesting to see how hesitation marks turns out. (Please be good please be good please be good)

if the two released songs are any indication im thinking itll be a solid 3.5-4

2028 Comments

Yeah. Came back haunted is better than copy of a in my opinion.

2028 Comments

I'll just wait until you review it so you can do an amazing job of it.

2028 Comments

Why don't you do one now then?

Polyethylene
August 19th 2013

New NIN song 'Everything' is major key and Cure-esque you guys should check it, I actually enjoyed it

I'll check it out.

August 19th 2013

Album is solid as a rock. Definitely the last thing I ever enjoyed from the man.

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

The777thVermicide
August 19th 2013

Not bad review, but you should remove the first paragraph. Album is solid but pretty hate machine, broken, the downward spiral and the fragile rapes this.

ThrashTillDeath94

"Pretty mediocre review"
"I could almost certainly top this pathetic excuse for a review"

Somehow I doubt this troll could. Obviously he is an alt. There is nothing constructive about what he does.

September 21st 2013

Yeah I know -_-

oltnabrick
June 6th 2014

Trent Reznor is one of the last true musicians.

dude, i agree. pos'd!