Unhappy
Despair

by dragoth USER (31 Reviews)
August 19th, 2013 | 45 replies

Release Date: 06/08/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: DSBM at its finest, darkest and most depressing

Dark orchestration, violins playing a sombre melody, a drone in the background. This is the start to a very dark journey that will draw you in, break your will and push you out again feeling miserable, isolated and depressed, but you will have enjoyed it. Unhappy is a one man depressive suicidal black metal band by lone member 'Lame Bastard' and Despair is the second album by this project, the first been Dear God, Thanks For The Suicide Option. And its as dark, depressive and brilliant as the first.

Opener Black Metal Desolation starts with the previously mentioned opening before thrusting you into a fast, furious battery of guitar and drums and tortured vocals. Lame Bastard does all the instrumentation, from the guitar, to the drums, to the synths in the background, and even a piano on Rain And Grey Sky. All of it beautifully comes together to create the perfect dark and gloomy atmosphere, which is the true selling point of Unhappy, you believe the message. The guitars with their grating and dark distortion set up many perfectly crafted riffs and tremolo picked lines, both fast and slow licks, with a level of precision and thought clearly been placed into every one. The drums underneath play a variety of different patterns, from all out blast beats and rolls, to slow almost rock style lines, many are imaginative patterns that stand out, unlike many from other projects. The synthesisers that appear in some songs, such as the opener add to the atmosphere, creating sombre lines in the background that, whilst they don't draw your attention away from the body of the music, you are still greatly aware of them. Whilst the bass isn't that audible, it doesn't take anything away from the sound, that when brought together becomes an audible embodiment of the feelings and pains that DSBM always strives to create. For the most part this album is slow, with exceptions such as Black Metal Desolation, but for the most part tracks such as I Want To Die (Then Die!) and Darkness Is My Sun are slow tracks, guiding you through the maze of twisted thoughts and feelings that are been expressed, taking you through the dark mind of a depressed individuals musical escapism.

Which takes us to the vocals of that individual, Lame Bastard has a unique style of vocals which iv'e not heard anywhere else. His hoarse and tortured shrieks are the highlight of the album, for they are what truly sells its message of suicide and despair, ranging from a high shriek, to a hoarse moan, to low growling, never getting in the way of the music, and unfortunately never often having discernible lyrics, they are hard to listen to, they are obviously full of the sadness, despair and pain that is expressed through the music itself, and the lyrics most likely are on the same page.

So, Unhappys next album is as harrowing, dark, despair and depressing as the first, though slower for the most part, this comes up as another totally unique example of DSBM, just as Dear God... was, DSBM fans, or just black metal fans in general should check it out.

Recommended tracks:

Black Metal Desolation
Darkness Is My Sun
Despair
I Want To Die (Then Die!)
Rain And Grey Sky

To download Unhappy albums visit: http://unhappy1.bandcamp.com/
(Though this album is not on there)

Mayhem Esoteric WarfareXasthur Nocturnal Poisoning
Watain Casus LuciferiWhen Mine Eyes Blacken When Mine Eyes Blacken
Buzruh Alone In The DarkSatyricon The Age Of Nero
2.6

August 19th 2013

Don't know why you can't get it from the bandcamp page, but if you scour the internet you can find it

NocteDominum

Excellent display of DBM

"Black Metal Desolation"
"I Want To Die (Then Die!)"

seriously

i mean the fact the band is called 'unhappy' is bad enough but wow

August 19th 2013

Its DSBM what do you expect it to be like?

August 19th 2013

less awful and corny than that, that's fucking shameless

August 19th 2013

sounds like my soul i will listen

also "creating sombre lines"? is that right?
and a few run on sentences but ill throw a pos in

August 19th 2013

@foxhound give it a go, its great, i'll have a check through and change them

August 19th 2013

this review reminds me of my review for Winter-into darkness. and ya its on my list

Oneiron
August 19th 2013

The music is as bad as the names though. I tried a few songs off everything on the bandcamp. Songs don't stay in rhythm, his voice clips like crazy, and the production is a horrid slog that makes the guitars often resemble pink noise.

August 19th 2013

yeah this is genuinely one of the worst things i have ever heard, sorry

uh oh

Evreaia
August 19th 2013

I like DSBM a lot, but this is fucking junk, covers are rad though

sixdegrees

lol damn

Digging: yasumiyasumi - Tokyo Digital Love

Tyrael

20893 Comments

yea this is pretty bad

stick to silencer, people

August 19th 2013

if this review teaches us anything it's that you can hype anything up with buzzwords

Evreaia
August 19th 2013

I wondering, is this a joke band? So many album in such a short time make me guess it is?

sixdegrees

01. Black Metal Desolation
02. Anxiety A.K.A Bourgeois Depression
03. Darkness Is My Sun
04. Despair
05. I Want To Die (Then Die!)
06. In The Garbage Of 21th Century
07. Rain And Gray Sky

you be the judge

Keyblade

wow this looks awful

and silencer ain't all that

Digging: Submotion Orchestra - Alium

August 19th 2013

the dude calls himself 'lame bastard'

yeah i think this is a joke band

LB1981
August 19th 2013

what the fuck is joke band? I'm doing this music with my all pain, loneliness and anger... and I'm not saying Unhappy is great music...No it's not, it's lame and weird...like life... my music is not perfect because life is not perfect...