Alice in Chains
The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here

by Tunaboy45 USER (13 Reviews)
August 18th, 2013 | 19 replies | 1,227 views

Release Date: 05/28/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A solid album that will please both the older side of the fan base and the younger side too.

It's a known fact that Jerry Cantrell likes to stick to what he knows. A lot of people say that all of their songs sound the same, which is definitely not true. One thing that is expected of an Alice In Chains record, is the bleak lyrics and sludgy, doomy guitars, and there's definitely plenty of that here.
No one thought they could top 2009's Black Gives Way To Blue, which was an excellent record but for the most park, Jerry and co have succeeded.
I'm going to first start with the vocal harmonies between Jerry and William. They exist on most of the songs on this album and they never get old. The harmonies are what make the band so unique, in my opinion. The layers work perfectly and are really pleasing to the ear.
One problem I have with the album, which a lot of critics have picked up on, is the length of the album. When everything sounds slightly samey, 67 minutes seems slightly overlong and overwhelming.
There's some experimentation in the song 'Voices'. The acoustic intro leads into terrific vocals, and the song follows a verse chorus verse formula which really works. The chorus is extremely catchy and it will be stuck in your head for a while.
The first real glimpse we got of this album was back in late 2012 or early 2013 which came in the form of 'Hollow' which is one of my favourite tracks on the album. The slow, doomy riff really compliments the vocal harmonies and the drum work is terrific. Everything you love about Alice In Chains is on show in this song. I have an eargasm every time both fantastic singers wail "Silence, so loud / Silence, I can’t tell my up from down". It really is a beautiful and haunting moment.
Then we have the second single 'Stone' and let me tell you, it has a monster of a guitar riff in the opener and the chorus. But the best part is easily the bass, which is prominent throughout the song. It's good to hear Mike Inez playing some awesome lines, getting the attention he deserves.
The title track has fantastic harmonies and spectacular lyrics which are a critique of Christianity, which get the point across without being too full on. A great example is in the chorus "The devil put dinosaurs here, Jesus don't like no queer". A very powerful line.
This album is overall, a lot less immediate than some of the bands previous works, and that can cause it to drag for some listeners. It's definitely an album that requires a few listens to really appreciate it. It's definitely not as depressing in sound and lyrics as 1992's Dirt was, but the doom laden lyrics and guitar keep the album from being too upbeat.
So overall, this album really is a trip down memory lane for fans, and it's good enough to make the band some new fans along the way. By playing it safe and sticking to what they know, the band has successfully made an album to please not only their 90's audience, but also their 2013 audience, and that is a feat that should be commended.

Rammstein MutterStone Sour House of Gold and Bones - Part 1
Five Finger Death Punch American CapitalistMarilyn Manson Born Villain
Kidz Bop Kidz Kidz Bop 23Deftones White Pony
  • PsychicChris (4.5)
    Alice In Chains's second album with William DuVall upholds the band's expectations but is ...

overtureoverride (5)
    A beautiful selection of songs that engages the listener from start to finish...

AaronBatt (4)
    Jurassic Fantastic......

JTD (3.5)
    Alice in Chains release a great yet slightly disappointing followup to the excellent Black...

• Greg Fisher STAFF (3.7)
    The new Alice in Chains effort bursts with enough vitality to make a lasting impression on...

Super Grover (3.5)

donovan909 (4)
    The Devil Put The Dinosaurs finally lays to rest any qualms about post-Staley Alice. They ...

YoYoMancuso (4)
    The album Alice In Chains needed to make....

• Peter K. Mark (4)
    A slightly different monster that bites just as hard as their previous efforts....

August 18th 2013

Nice review, pos.. Only a few things need to be fixed:

- First, break the review in paragraphs because this way it looks and reads weird.
- Also, you don't need "I'm going to first start with...", just start with what you want to say.
- You can put the album titles in between italics ( [ i ] before and [ / i ] at the end, without the spaces in between them)
- There is an unofficial rule of one review per day. This way people can read your review and you don't knock yours and others' off the front page)

Digging: Karma To Burn - Arch Stanton

Decayingmajesty
August 18th 2013

Hollow is the best track.

August 18th 2013

I love Breath On A Window, Stone, Lab Monkey and Hollow most. The other tracks are really solid too. One of the best albums released this year so far.

August 18th 2013

I'll take that into consideration insomniac15. The Marilyn Manson review was actually about this time yesterday. Yeah the paragraphs do look weird, but I'm happy it's had a better response than my previous review!

Digging: Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory

August 18th 2013

Sorry if it was yesterday, I just saw it on the front page. Most new users start reviewing a lot within the first days.
Regarding the response, don't worry about it, the first reviews are usually lacking, but this one is nice. If you keep doing it and read others for guidance, you'll do better and better. My first review was the most fanboy-ish possible for Nine Inch Nails' Year Zero. Everybody hated it.

Also, track-by-track reviews (like the one for Marilyn Manson's best of) are hard to pull off because if you don't have something good to say about each track, it ends up really inconsistent.

August 18th 2013

Thanks for the great advice. I don't think I'll be doing a track by track again!

August 18th 2013

Feel like reviewing with teeth at some point.

slagun
August 18th 2013

Phantom Limb is the best track.

RobbaqPL
August 18th 2013

Why does every review of this album quote the Jesus don't like a queer line like it's the most shocking and/or brilliant phrase ever.

August 18th 2013

@Tunaboy45 - They have a new album coming out in 2 weeks or so. You could do that if you want to review NIN.

August 18th 2013

@insomniac15 Yeah I almost preordered hesitation marks but I didn't get round to it. Expect a review of with teeth in the coming days.

Mongi123
August 18th 2013

Good review dude. I listened to this again yesterday and it's still good. Love the title track and
Phantom Limb. Though the songs do feel bloated and start to sound the same after while.

Gwyn.

YES AN ALICE IN CHAINS REVIEW

Digging: Buzzov-en - Sore

Pestiferous

Hollow and A Breath on a Window both rule

Judio!
August 18th 2013

Nice review, and a giant improvement over your last one.

Here's a tip: put spaces between your paragraphs. It makes it so much easier to read, especially for someone like me who is reading this on a phone.

Digging: Integrity - Those Who Fear Tomorrow

slagun

@Pestiferous

Man youre crazy, how can you rate this higher than Dirt and Facelift???

Pestiferous

@slagun

i didn't....facelift and dirt are both 4.5's

August 18th 2013

Yeah in my next review I'll put larger spaces between paragraphs.
Thanks JudioRuso.

August 18th 2013

Yeah in my next review I'll put larger spaces between paragraphs.
Thanks JudioRuso.