Marilyn Manson
Lest We Forget ( The Best Of Marilyn Manson)

by Tunaboy45 USER (12 Reviews)
August 18th, 2013 | 22 replies | 1,003 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I'll make you a believer.

It's a track by track, so I know that that is going to turn people off already.

1. The Love Song
A pretty good opener. A criticism of the American government. 4/5

2. Personal Jesus
A cover song, the original was performed by depeche mode. Not much different from the original, apart from a cool guitar line. For the most part, a good song. 3.5/5

3. mOBSCENE
A brilliant song with an infectious chorus, that will have you singing along in no time. Top that off with some cheesy cheerleader vocals and you have an excellent song. 4.5/5

4. The Fight Song
A punk anthem, with a neat little guitar intro before everything explodes. This song contains one of my favourite quotes. "I'm not a slave, to a god, that doesn't exist!' 4.5/5

5. Tainted Love
The first song I heard by Marilyn Manson. This is a cover, but he makes it his own. An all round classic song, it's easy too see why it's his most successful to date. 5/5

6. The Dope Show
The first single from Mechanical Animals, Marilyn's glam rock album. We've all seen the iconic video where he has prosthetic tits. Great song, brilliant guitar and drum work. 4.5/5

7. This Is The New ***
This is a pretty weak song, compared to what has been and what is to come. Poor lyrics, decent guitar work. 2.5/5

8. Disposable Teens
The first single from Holy Wood, a teenage anthem with a pun on a Beatles lyric "You say you want an evolution, the ape was a great big hit. You say you want a revolution man, and I say you're just full of ***" Brilliant song. 5/5

9. Sweet Dreams
Wow, just wow. The song starts with a haunting guitar, before Manson's vocals come in. Again, he makes this song his own. This is the song that got me into Marilyn Manson, and it remains my favourite. 5/5

10. Lunchbox
A single from his first album. This song feels like it's just here for the sake of it, and I'm not a huge fan. I usually skip this. 2/5

11. Tourniquet
A very scary song from Antichrist Superstar. I love the bass into, just wish it was longer! Twiggy makes the guitar sound like it's crying, and Manson's creepy whispering and shouting routine is put to full use. The lyrics follow the overarching narrative of Antichrist Superstar. A spectacular song. 4.5/5

12. Rock Is Dead
From Mechanical Animals. Catchy chorus but pretty basic guitar work. Clever lyrics from Manson. 3.5/5

13. Get Your Gunn
First official single by Marilyn Manson, a very good song. About a real life murder which I can't be bothered going into details about. Good lyrics, bass, guitar and drums overall. 4/5

14. The Nobodies
This song criticizes the media and the affect it can have on people. A good political song, with some good drums. 3.5/5

15. The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell
Featured on the Spawn soundtrack, this is a very industrial song. Some interesting background vocals and strange lyrics. Virtually no guitar in the verses. Not bad. 4/5

16. The Beautiful People
Well, we finally got to this beast of a song. You all know it, you've all heard it. The first single from Antichrist Superstar, this song propelled him into the mainstream, and made him a cultural icon. I love everything about this song, so I'm not going to say individual things. I'd give it a 6 if i could. 5/5

17. The Reflecting God
From Antichrist Superstar, this is a good way to end the album. (Minus the bonus tracks) Has a political feel to it. Interesting bass. 4/5

Now we get to the bonus tracks.

18. (s)AINT
This song is ok, but the lyrics feel recycled and it's a bit boring. Feels tacked on. Not great, not awful. 2.5/5

19. Irresponsible Hate Anthem
The first time I heard it, I thought it was a live track. Disturbing and weird, but also genius as ever lyrics, this is another good way to close the album (if you have the bonus tracks) 4.5/5

So that's it. A great collection of his best songs. This was supposed to be his farewell album, but he is still continuing today, with no signs of slowing down. Thanks for reading!

Buy It For...
Tainted Love
Sweet Dreams
mOBSCENE
Disposable Teens
Tourniquet
The Beautiful People

Stone Sour House of Gold and Bones - Part 1Five Finger Death Punch American Capitalist
Marilyn Manson Born VillainKidz Bop Kidz Kidz Bop 23
Deftones White PonySoulfly Savages
mmfan486 (4)

Deviant.
August 17th 2013

It's a track by track, so I know that that is going to turn people off already.

This does not belong in a review

A pretty good opener. A criticism of the American government. 4/5

Terrible - what do you expect people to take away from this critically?

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

August 17th 2013

"This has been reviewed many times, but as my first review, I thought I'd have a go at it. It's a track by track, so I know that that is going to turn people off already."

Stuff like this should go in the comments are not at all

Digging: The Hotelier - Home, Like NoPlace Is There

Acanthus
August 17th 2013

Most criticism of the compilation is that it's missing tracks off of Mechanical Animal, but I'm just fine with that.

Agree with Trebor and Deviant on the other bits, Track by Track reviews are pretty much phased out across the board. Take some time on your next one and use a different format/style and see how it works for you.

Digging: Symphony X - Paradise Lost

The Tainted Love cover is pretty good

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

Acanthus
August 17th 2013

Pretty phenomenal, his covers generally kick ass.

Disrupt
August 17th 2013

they are not at all what treb

Judio!
August 17th 2013

This is an extremely lazy track by track. If you want to do this style of review, that's fine. Just work on not making it choppy like this is.

Digging: Brand New - Deja Entendu

sixdegrees
August 17th 2013

great review, keep it up

Digging: Tam Tam - Polarize

DominionMM1
August 18th 2013

why would anyone review this

Digging: Clutch - Blast Tyrant

FearThyEvil9
August 18th 2013

It read's like an itunes write up from fans that always give an album a 5/5.

DarthMann
August 18th 2013

my response to six's comment: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/image.php?u=453362&dateline=1376799683

sixdegrees
August 18th 2013

are you really that surprised

DarthMann

don't encourage him

ConcubinaryCode
August 18th 2013

it has one other review and if you know people dont like tbt reviews why would you do it?

August 18th 2013

Thanks for your criticism. I plan on doing another review very soon and hopefully it will be better than this

August 18th 2013

If I could change the score now, I'd give it a 4.
My next review will be The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here by Alice In Chains.
I definitely feel this review could have gone better.

LPFTW
August 18th 2013

I like track-by-tracks but this is just so half-assed

Digging: Lana Del Rey - Born to Die

LPFTW
August 18th 2013

Doesn't do the album justice either and JUST WHY WOULD YOU GIVE THE REFLECTING GOD A 4/5!? and the only weak tracks are Personal Jesus and Disposable Teens

August 18th 2013

It was my first review. Chill out I hate it too.

DominionMM1
August 18th 2013

so if you hate it why did you submit it?