Ramones
Ramones

by GeorgeNelson USER (21 Reviews)
August 16th, 2013 | 16 replies

Release Date: 1976 | Tracklist

This is a fantastic album. I’m happy because it gave me affirmation. I love punk but ‘Ramones’ made me realise why and thus is as valuable as any album can be.

I ***ing hate it when people say ‘studying something ruins it’ but maybe they’ve careered into something interesting by chance. I like thinking about an album – why shouldn’t I – but wham! This one is so in your face, has such rough, thrashing guitars that the great stuff is unmissable. The Ramones grew up on The Stooges, The New York Dolls, and in 1974 the ‘Ramone’ moniker consumed them. This record hammers you into submission with three chords – isn’t that minimal! But its parts are maximal. Every song is a hurry: ‘Judy is a Punk’ is an exhilarating song, they yell ‘Second verse, Same as the first!’ and it’s gone in 1:30. There’s no time for deliberation – before you know it you’ve a lighter in one hand and some chlorine trifluoride in the other, caught up in the frantic, angry and fearful world that the group are consumed by. The critical authoritarians might want self-important ditties but where is the thrill in that?

‘Ramones’ is punk at its best; brave but tantrum-like and inconsistent, these are things that scar the distressing road to the grand denouement this ambitious and intelligent group run for. This album is hopeless and directionless. Wow! I didn’t get punk before I heard it and then it was obvious, what is a good listen if not that? Wow! ‘Beat on the Brat’ says smacking kids is alright and has freaky and thrashy chords to prove it, but the ‘Now I Wanna/I Don’t Wanna’ song-title thing is as brattish as anything. That’s expert inconsistency. Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue’ is lawless, it will split your skull and pump in petrol. ‘Don’t Wanna Go Down to the Basement’ is a jumpy 2:35er with guitars that will kill you and eat you. All this, and then DeeDee’s Nazi thing. ‘Blitzkrieg Bop’ was once called, can you believe it, ‘Animal Hop’. Full blown Nazism is what it is – ‘Shoot ‘em in the back now’, they sing. That’s ***ed up no matter what. A young DeeDee went to Germany and got picked on, I’m not sure how he dealt with it – maybe he shrugged, mumbled ‘What can you do?’ and beat them to death with a baseball bat. Whatever, weird Nazi feelings creep in and out of an album that is amoral, directionless, and delightfully punk.

Except ‘Let’s Dance’. They ought to apologise to the 1:51 chunk of PVC for using it so carelessly. Oh well. ‘Leave Home’ and Rocket to Russia’ were good but I don’t feel they match this. The Ramones blew up a crazy, Nazified bomb. It’s so babyish in places that it’s laughable, so why aren’t I laughing? No matter the power chords or cracked-out chants of ‘Hey! Ho! Let’s go!’ Joey is always wounded, panicky because he’s really got something to panic about. He’s not part of some mighty counter-cultural crusade. Every time he yelps I’m hit with the horrible senselessness of brilliant punk. Something it did best in 1976.

Arctic Monkeys AMDe La Soul 3 Feet High and Rising
The Notorious B.I.G. Ready to DieRihanna Unapologetic
Prince Sign o' the TimesThe Mothers of Invention Freak Out!
4.3

What is this

Digging: Friendzone - Collection 1

MrSirLordGentleman

overrated as hell

August 16th 2013

I would agree in terms of punk n00bs who are like "ramones and sex pistols 4 life that's all punk is!"

rocks

Digging: Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses

MrSirLordGentleman
August 16th 2013

it's a funny album, but I think it isn't a proper example of "Punk Icon"

Well it is, so

Friday13th
August 16th 2013

I remember when pop punk was huge in the mid 2000s and kids were just discovering the Ramones. haha still could care less.

Digging: Echolyn - Mei

DegausserGuernica24

Excuse me, but neg.

Oh god! Why?

DegausserGuernica24
August 16th 2013

Well, the first paragraph should be a sound-off, and...

'Wow! I didn’t get punk before I heard it and then it was obvious, what is a good listen if not that? Wow!'

LloydIsSkeleNow

Awful review.

Haha why?

VolcanoDay
August 17th 2013

Album is damn near perfect. Review is not.

Oh no! Why?

VolcanoDay
August 17th 2013

It's a bit all over the place, without a clear structure. The tone is too informal. Also, some sentences-
"isn’t that minimal! But its parts are maximal."
are pretty cringeworthy.
Try and focus more on reviewing the overall sound of the album- I kinda get that from what you've written, but it could be far clearer.

August 18th 2013

Right. Has anyone else got any comments?