Sworn In
The Death Card

good

by wowyouresohxc USER (3 Reviews)
August 15th, 2013 | 56 replies

Release Date: 08/20/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Shoot me fucking dead, I'll let my eyes roll back into my head, wishing I was dead, wishing I was dead."

Rumbling. Guitar plugs in. Here we go. Vocals. Fade out.

I don’t want this review to be a constant disparagement to Sworn In just because of the genre. This is a metalcore album; it meets the criteria in every sense of the “m word.” But that’s what I don’t understand: Why do people discredit an album or band just because of a genre? I understand that some metalcore bands are - eh - pretty bad to say the least, but to write off an entire genre because of a few years worth of bad releases seems pretty inane.

The band claims that this is a concept album, but the loathing seems to be the only constant theme. And believe me, this band is pissed, or at least I like to believe so. I think that’s what makes this album keep drawing me back. If you do truly believe that they are pissed, it suddenly becomes extremely passionate.

As for the instrumentals... there has been a huge improvement. This album is not a breakdown. There are probably more than enough to go around, but it’s not as bad as their previous efforts. This album “brings teh junz”, but it adds to the overall heaviness. In a sense, I like to listen to this album for the same reason that I like to listen to Iowa by Slipknot. No technical aspects whatsoever, but the musicianship is great, the passion is there, and let’s face it, everyone likes to get irate once in awhile.

This album is held back, however, by the one thing that sets it apart. Tyler Dennen’s lyrical ability is somewhat lacking. All the songs are extremely specific about their loathing, but they’re delivered with the poise of a shotgun: He doesn’t vary his subjective delivery of them; there’s no metaphor whatsoever.

Also, the interludes and songs under two minutes are highly unnecessary.

The biggest improvement is still Dennen’s vocal style. He has mostly ditched his fry style vocals in favor of false chords, giving a more aggressive sound. There is more overall vocal range (rather than just an irritating mid-range).

This album is definitely a major improvement, and if these young musicians vary their musical style, I believe they could be on their way to being one of the few critically respected bands in today’s scene.

2.8
good

Hit me, trollz.

Digging: Viper the Rapper - You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack

August 15th 2013

Yeah. His twitter bio was literally "I like trains" for the longest time. And thanks man.

August 15th 2013

Nice review breh. Album brings the junz, but like you said, that isn't a bad thing. Pretty pissed album for sure.

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

Thanks a ton, dude!

Good review.

Thanks.

sixdegrees

trains

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

trains [x2]

trains [x∞]

Nocturnal
August 18th 2013

Pretty shitty album. Surprised frankie palmeri didn't have a guest spot.

XtrainsX [4]

dbilidb
August 21st 2013

Korn. :3

haydenslame
August 26th 2013

listening now. i dig it.

haydenslame
August 26th 2013

Could do without the clean vocals.

tylerdennensmom
August 26th 2013

any rabbi's need a cock sucking on here?

Nocturnal
September 23rd 2013

Ya tylers mom stick a finger up my ass next time tho.

thewired
October 27th 2013

hit me clown because im not from your town now, hit me clown

KSK1
October 27th 2013

Album is surprisingly enjoyable in a guilty pleasure sorta way