Blessthefall
Hollow Bodies

1.5
very poor

by John Mohlman USER (7 Reviews)
August 13th, 2013 | 61 replies | 8,329 views

Release Date: 08/20/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Well, it's on par with the last two albums. So how much did you like those?

"Blessthefall" was one of the first post-hardcore bands I ever heard. So it seems that no matter how unoriginal their albums have been, I have a soft spot for them. Maybe that soft spot has gone away or maybe this album just isn't that great. I'm fairly certain it's the later.

If you are looking for something new and innovative out of this record, don't even bother. Throughout this entire record, Hollow Bodies sticks to the generic post-hardcore formula. You'll hear plenty of breakdowns, average choruses, and other filler; but what more did you expect? Their past albums have been the same basic thing. Blessthefall really just failed to mature at all on this record. I'm not sure who the lyricist is, but he comes across as quite childish on some of these songs. Lyrics such as "You're just a bitch." and "You're just a ***ing disgrace." hold about as much shock value as a nine volt battery.

I guess I can't hate everything about "Hollow Bodies." This album does have a few good things sprinkled throughout it. The guitarists sometimes shine through the mix with some pretty good lead parts. Although they are few and far between, they're used well. The harsh vocals are above average. I know that most people won't agree with that statement, but I like the raw screams that Jared Warth has. And even the breakdowns are bearable at times (see "Youngbloods").

Right when you start to enjoy some of the songs something always happens. What is that you may ask? Beau Bokan. He might be the biggest thing holding this album back. His vocals are bland and void of emotion. His range is very limited as well. I honestly don't think he ever sings above or below the staff. His ballad track on the album "Buried in These Walls" is cringe-worthy.

If you like generic post-hardcore, knock yourself out; you'll have a blast with this album. However, those who are looking for something that doesn’t feel like it was rushed to this rather bland end result, will be lulled to sleep during this record. The songs have very little replay value and the lyrics are uninspired. They did a good job of doing what they know, i'll give them that. But nothing ventured, nothing gained. "Blessthefall" definitely didn't gain anything on "Hollow Bodies."

Pros:
Guest vocal spots.
Some pretty good guitar parts.
Jared Warth

Cons:
Beau Bokan
Generic song structures.
Overuse of breakdowns.

Bleach Blonde Starving ArtistThe Killing Tree The Romance of Helen Trent
Beartooth SickAbove This Titanium
Hands Like Houses UnimagineHousefire! Street Party!
3.1
good

Streaming here:
1st negative review, so constructive criticism is appreciated.

Digging: Astronauts - Hollow Ponds

exodus is insane fuck your 2 rating bullshit

Digging: Wovenwar -

August 13th 2013

Okay. Thank you. That was quite constructive. God forbid I have a different opinion from yours.

EvoHavok
August 13th 2013

It seems the album is the hollow body. Never liked whatever I heard from these guys anyway.
Review's ok.

Digging: Ningen-Isu - Burai Houjou

spartanawasp
August 13th 2013

Man, I wanted to review this first.

BillClinton

Nah. Its bad.

August 13th 2013

I don't know man. I just don't like this album. Once again, some of the songs are alright. But nothing really stood out to me.

spartanawasp
August 13th 2013

I absolutely love Open Water.

FourthReich
August 13th 2013

is that like a lil blood diamond kid on the cover, shit this must go hard

Digging: Dot Hacker - How's Your Process? (Work)

August 13th 2013

it's half awesome half mediocre, not as good as the last 2 but a solid 3.8/5 to be exact

FourthReich

damn definitely sounds deserving of a 4

August 13th 2013

"dude you're obviously entitled to an opinion but a 2? dude that's just not fair when this band sounds way better than most
"generic post hardcore" bands do. idk i just don't really get a poor rating. at least an average at worst."

Yes but the average generic post hardcore bands are like a 1.5, so a slightly above average one is a 2

Mabbitt
August 13th 2013

I really dug the song Deja Vu, but everything else I heard was extremely meh. The other three albums
are much better.

Digging: Rx Bandits - Gemini, Her Majesty

ok whatever dude

willafrant
August 13th 2013

beau brings this band down sooooo hard

August 13th 2013

"beau brings this band down sooooo hard"
Agreed.

YakNips
August 13th 2013

I'm not going to bother checking this out.

Their first album was decent.

Digging: Hit the Pigeon Boy! - It's a Pretty Dark Place to Leave a Piece of Light

TooLateToGoBack
August 13th 2013

Can't believe they got Generic Sturgis to produce this shit.

BlackLlama
August 13th 2013

Average metal core release garners a 2, this is a solid 3.

Digging: Cinderella - Heartbreak Station