Endsight

by Magnus Altkula STAFF
August 13th, 2013 | 11 replies

Release Date: 07/26/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Treading the path most known

Endsight piqued my interest when their track "The Dive" surfaced. A delightfully atmospheric cut of metalcore-infused melodeath, it gave me hope that the rest of their newest album A Vicious Circle would be more of the same. And it is, but not in the way I expected. A Vicious Circle boasts a stringently structured sound throughout that can easily and most correctly be referred to as "more of the same" indeed, but contrary to my original hopes that can not be taken as a compliment. "The Dive" is regrettably by far the best track on here and the only one that deviates from the album’s unexciting, rudimentary skeleton. The short, curiously mechanical intro on the first track "The Final Sunlight" gives an impression that something really cool-sounding is about to unfold, but quickly enough the song settles into a conventional melodeath formula which is disappointingly the norm for the rest of the record as well. The sounds on offer can actually be quite pleasant at times, but predictable songwriting, At The Gates-worship riffs, and a distinct lack of really anything to set Endsight apart from the hundreds of bands performing this style of music make A Vicious Circle a less than enticing listen. We’ve heard this record tens, probably hundreds of times before, it just had a different name on it. That’s not to say A Vicious Circle is a giant waste of time, though. For those into the style in question the album is bound to be at least slightly rewarding. After all, it’s decently played and sounds almost like a collection of At The Gates b-sides, just with far less personality. It also doesn’t overstay its welcome, respectably clocking in around the 35 minute mark, meaning that even though it sounds way too familiar, A Vicious Circle is at least concise and to the point. Still, it’s impossible to get around the fact that the album provides us with nothing worth noticing.

Endsight's sophomore effort isn’t bad. Instead, it is just another album in a genre where following existing models to a T rarely yields success due to the overabundance of same-sounding material. There’s really nothing fresh or exciting about the record, but it doesn’t display qualities associated with bad albums either (both the vocals and instrumentation are solid, if absolutely underwhelming). Passable is the adjective made precisely for works like this one – works that don’t scrape the ear, but have no real gripping power either. A Vicious Circle is that painting at the exhibition that you pass by without looking back at, and sometimes that’s even worse than blatant awfulness. Collectively loathed works of art are at least interesting in their absolute failure. Often surrounded by excitement, they manage to garner attention and can be the story of the day/week/month. Mediocrity though, now that’s a sad, lonely state no artist wants to find himself in.

Atrum Tempestas NeantEluveitie Origins
MiXE1 Starlit SkinDoom:VS Earthless
Nocturnal Breed Napalm NightsThyrien Hymns of the Mortals - Songs from the North
3.1
good

"The Dive": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xQkSUoyTQQ

"Circles of Inferno": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9422mmU5ejY

Quick write up to get the creative juices flowing again. This one didn't do it for me but if someone here finds it worth looking into, then I'm glad I could bring it to your attention.

Voivod

album stream: http://endsight.bandcamp.com/album/a-vicious-circle

Will read and listen asap.

Edit:

Having listened to the album 3-4 times, I tend to agree with the review and your rating Magnus, this is enjoyable but pretty standard metalcore/melodeath. However, I would give it an extra 0.5+ for the sound production (made at Devasoundz Studios from members of Septic Flesh and Rotting Christ) and the fact that this album was good enough to make me want to revisit At The Gates and The Mind's I album from Dark Tranquillity.

put a comma right after "music".

Digging: Seduced (AT) - The Proclamation

greg84
August 13th 2013

Good write-up, Magnus. I'm not gonna bother with this though.

Digging: Dope Body - Lifer

August 13th 2013

Thanks guys. Voivod - the production is well done, I agree, but to me it's not enough to push this any higher. I most probably would have deducted from the 2.5 instead if the production had been poorer.

Voivod

I hear you Magnus.

Talking about really good metalcore/melodeath, the new Mercenary album is a case in point. In fact it is so good, that the said tags feel inadequate at describing it.

August 13th 2013

Really? The only full album of theirs that I've heard is Architect of Lies and I wasn't overly impressed by it. You always give great recs though, so I'll give that one a go based on your word.

NocteDominum
August 13th 2013

That Mercenary album is incredibly catchy,

Wizard
August 14th 2013

19558 Comments

Well written review buddy but doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Now the new Carcass album.......damn! I'm looking forward to posting my review.

Digging: Nero Di Marte - Derivae

AtomicWaste
August 15th 2013

2010 Comments

Good review, man. I'll have to give this a check, though it doesn't sound stellar.

Digging: Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places

August 15th 2013

@Wiz
Damn straight, new Carcass is some good shit, looking forward to reading your take on it.

@Atmoic
Thanks man, if you're into this style you may still like it to a degree. Just take Voivod for example.

beeroine87
September 4th 2014

Metalcore is dead ... that's all