Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution
A Call To Arms

by Steerpike USER (24 Reviews)
March 27th, 2006 | 8 replies | 3,303 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Rally, friends! They say the revolution will be televised, and it will be. But that's not the revolution we're talking about. No, this is a different revolution, one not of bloodshed or violence. Specifically, the acoustic revolution! Our leader Tomas Kalnoky has assembled an inner cirle of thirteen specialists to guide us through the dark days into victory. Though they themselves are the true Acoustic Bandits, we each have our own part to play, and the first step in our mission is to acquire and distribute the necessary propoganda to make the sheep understand.

The EP, A Call To Arms, is the first issue of this propaganda. It is a five-track compact disc, also available in digital format at the band's headquarters (website) free of charge. Before we can begin disseminating this EP, however, it is important for you all to understand the contents of it. It's pointless to get up on a soapbox if you don't know what you're talking about.

The first track of the EP is titled "This Is a Call To Arms" and is the anthem of our organization. The instrumental is a medley of melodies and will precede our glorious march to victory.

The following track is titled "Here's To Life." Pay close attention to this one, soldiers. The weaving of the strings and brass represent the sinergy and teamwork that we ourselves must achieve. Brother Paul Lowndes drumming and the haunting vocals of Sister Natalia Ushak are also points we must emphasize on this song. The lyrics themselves are poignant as our leader sings to us why we must not give up the fight as those who came before us did.

Following that is an echo from General Konalky's past in "Dear Sergio:" which he recalls from his early days in Catch 22. We see the past re-imagined better than ever with the breakneck speedy lyrics we've come to know and love but with the added richness of the strings section.

The fourth song is "It's a Wonderful Life" and the Bandits deliver a touching message of what it is like for soldiers who must go off to fight and leave behind their loved ones in the name of the cause. The horns are truly at their best here. The song brings out the realization in us that battles to be fought must be for a worthy cause. Soldiers make great sacrifices to fight the good fight, so we must not let their actions be used in vain or for the wrong purposes.

Finally, we come to the final section of the EP: "They Provide the Pain for the Picture Perfect Masterpiece That You Will Paint On the Inside of Your Eyelids." Yes, you are expected to know the whole title. Again, the Bandits deliver a message of peace. They seemlessly blend ska with classical and Russian folk music in this song, ranging from classical melodies to Russian-influenced breakdown.

All together, this is a triumph of music that we must all acquire and learn backward and forward. The Bandits are due to release a full-length album this year, so we must be prepared, for the Acoustic Revolution has begun!

To arms!

Edguy Space Police - Defenders of the CrownAncient Bards Soulless Child
Ancient Bards The Alliance of the KingsVolbeat Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood
Jonathan Coulton Where Tradition Meets TomorrowHuman Fortress Eternal Empire
4.2
TheStefan (4.5)
To Life......

J_McMeaty (5)

Brain Toad
March 27th 2006

Really interesting review, I enjoyed it.

This is the best album I think Kalnoky has released, BOTAR is a lot more interesting to listen to than Keasbey Nights era Catch 22 and Streetlight Manifesto.

Zebra
March 27th 2006

No way, Keasbey Nights is the best out of anything that Kalnoky has released. I have to admit that this is an incredible ep, although it's not up to Catch 22 standards.
Decent review. A little more detail for each track would be nice.

Zesty Mordant
March 27th 2006

awesome review. Short but concise, which I guess is apt for an album of this length and caliber.
From what I've heard (rumours on the intraweb) an LP is due sometime this year. Needless to say, it should be awesome.

DaveToopes
March 27th 2006

I agree with BrainToad, this is definitely the most interesting piece of work that Kalnoky has released. I can't wait for a full length.

Taxman
March 28th 2006

yea..its suppobly comin out in May...but i doubt it

this album is AMAZING however

it encompasses so much amazing material in just a short Ep
thanx for reviewing it and nice job

i think Kalnoky is an extremely talented writer, much under appreciated

i love this albumThis Message Edited On 03.29.06

Freakofsaturn
April 3rd 2006

Great great album

its a wonderful life is probably one of the best songs ever

i surely hope to God that they come out with something over 20 minutes soon