Rosetta
The Anaesthete

good

by Brootalisk USER (4 Reviews)
August 13th, 2013 | 33 replies

Release Date: 08/08/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A transformation worth exploring instead goes ignored.

Post metal outfit Rosetta have recently undergone a thorough face-lift. Their “modernized” band logo is entirely unreadable. Their new album cover is a striking aberration from the ensemble's previous artworks. They've become their own band, removing themselves from their previous record label. What does all this reconstruction translate into? Is this metamorphosis significant and worthwhile, or is it simply change for change's sake?

Musically speaking, Rosetta haven't adjusted much, but the variations that do exist are subtle, requiring multiple playthroughs to uncover the hidden gems. One of the most prominent examples of this is the fade from “Oku / The Secrets” to “Hodoku / Compassion.” The latter plays its part extremely well as the interlude in the album, but it could feel out of place if not for the wise decision to slowly evaporate from the aggressive into the calm and serene. The instrumental “Ku / Emptiness” is arguably the strongest song on the album, as it draws from an extremely wide range of influences and goes all over the place in a delicate yet stable manner. It's these small yet vital touches of awareness and creativity strewn throughout that showcase Rosetta's increased maturity since The Galilean Satellites.

However, faults most certainly exist within this record. “Myo / The Miraculous”, the shortest song in the record, is also one of the most promising, as it sees Rosetta breaking out of the shell that they seem to have placed themselves in. However, it ends all too abruptly and without reason, making the endeavor a frustrating and lacking listen. “Shugyo / Austerity”, the outro to the album, isn't really a song so much as an ambient experience. This might not be a problem for some, but for others it can last for far too long with little to no gratification. It hinders the aural involvement with the album, and ultimately the record would feel much more satisfying if it was simply taken out, or at the very least three minutes shorter.

Rosetta have, without a doubt, created a musical venture that invokes a wide range of emotions, encompassing both vigor and, unfortunately, disappointment. That's not to say there aren't moments here that aren't rewarding. There are songs present that are encouraging for long time Rosetta fans, as they display a unique angle on their patented sound that is vehemently screaming to be explored. For The Anaesthete, though, a physical change in appearance doesn't translate into a much needed musical change in sound.

Ryan Kroner (2.5)
A passionless and monotonously-structured affair, The Anaesthete is a largely feeble imitation of pa...

SgtShock (4)
Rosetta branch out, making some additions to their sound as well as venturing into darker territory....

Cryogenix (4)
I shed a tear for what Rosetta might have become but is slowly dying in the shadows of mediocrity as...

Great review man

zxlkho
August 13th 2013

good review but actually this rules

oltnabrick

but actually its boring XD

Digging: Drexciya - Neptune's Lair

Brootalisk
August 13th 2013

Thanks Trebor! I feel like I'm one of the few who actually doesn't hate the artwork with all my being

zxlkho
August 13th 2013

I actually really like the artwork a lot.

I must be the only one.

TrueBlood
August 13th 2013

really not digging the artwork

like really not digging

XingKing
August 13th 2013

The artwork and logo would be fine for a different band but given this is Rosetta, it's pretty shitty

MeatSalad
August 13th 2013

Seriously wtf were they thinking with that cover its so fucking shit

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

Brootalisk
August 13th 2013

Oh god what have I started

So how bout that new Breaking Bad?

demigod!
August 13th 2013

when hank closed the garage door OMG

Digging: Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright in the End

BigPleb
August 13th 2013

Never been into this band.

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins on Io

SgtShock
August 13th 2013

Ah, some competition! The other review... Well, lets not get into that. Anyways, great job man.

DanielNightLewis
August 13th 2013

This is a well written review however I get the feeling that if I weren't already familiar with Rosetta, I would have absolutely no idea what sort of music to expect. Maybe it is a matter of personal reading/writing taste but a little more info on the sounds experienced would be nice.

But as it is, it's a very well articulated reaction to the music presented!

FadedSun
August 13th 2013

Considering the theme with Japanese song titles, I don't really understand the cover art. By itself, the picture is great, but in the context of the band and possibly this album; I don't think so.

MrElmo

1955 Comments

Yeah this is amazing but damn good review, pos

johnnydeking29
August 13th 2013

This is dec, I don't get the hype

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins On Io

SpritzSpritz
August 13th 2013

love the artwork personally. album sounds like watching stuff burn to me, so i feel it fits. also i love this album. totally understand the polarized reception to it, though. it just clicked with me.

also heard a bunch of these live when I played with these guys last spring. everything sounds great. lovely review, too.

JasonCarne
August 13th 2013

There's nothing wrong with artwork from a technical standpoint but it just makes zero sense for them and their sound. This looks like it could have been album art for Astarte or something.

Anyway, album is pretty good, far from their best though.

Digging: Echoes (UK) - The Pursuit