Counterparts
The Difference Between Hell and Home

good

by Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (90 Reviews)
August 8th, 2013 | 57 replies

Release Date: 07/23/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I've never seen myself as optimistic, so this should come as no surprise/ No one feels good forever

The difference between a good record and a great record is not always apparent. Trying to separate anticipation, and comparisons with previous works is also difficult to grasp. These two things combined make The Difference Between Hell and Home a very puzzling listen for me. Counterparts are able to seamlessly blend the styles of their unpolished, but charming debut album Prophets, with its more focused and emotional follow up The Current Will Carry Us, but for some reason it just doesn't do it for me. Maybe it's because none of the tracks stand out to me, or because my exceptions and attachment to Counterparts' previous record were too high. Whatever the case may be, The Difference Between Hell and Home is stricken with the ever so boring distinction of being simply good, and nothing more.

The song structures are always shifting yet remain tight and focused, the breakdowns are sparse and only rear their ugly head when needed, and the interpersonal lyrics perfectly match the tone of the music and always seem to follow the constant changes in the songs. All these factors are fine and dandy, but everything is so neat and nice without actually standing out or saying anything at all, and worst of all, I've heard it all before but done better in the band's previous albums, and other albums in the genre. Unfortunately The Difference Between Hell and Home is not greater than the sum of its parts, nor is it a worthy measure to its counterparts. Prophets had "Goodbye, Megaton" and the title track, The Currents Will Carry Us had "The Constant" and "Reflection," The Difference Between Hell and Home has eleven songs that all have one word song titles and can all be described with one tragic word: acceptable.

Tiny Moving Parts Pleasant LivingPrawn Kingfisher
Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) You Will Eventually Be ForgottenKyary Pamyu Pamyu Pikapika Fantajin
Brave Bird T-Minus Grand GestureOld Gray/Tiny Moving Parts Split
Charlie (4.5)
One of the most mature and emotionally wrought Metalcore offerings of the year....

Aziz STAFF (4)
The band that plays every other band’s music finally finds its own lane....

Ryan Lizotte (4.5)
From the deepest depths within, Counterparts' third studio album shines well above their peers....

Chuck Haller (4)
¡Counterparts 2013!...

The Current Will Carry Us

Prophets
recommended by reviewer
Climates What Means The Most

August 8th 2013

I'm kind of late on this, and everything has already been said about it, so I just did a little personal write up

Digging: Viper the Rapper - You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack

Nocturnal

This is so boring.

Spec

I disagree.

Ire
August 8th 2013

my counterpart my foolish heart

ZippaThaRippa
August 8th 2013

Everything this band has ever done is boring

love u ire

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

Cygnatti
August 8th 2013

last album was enjoyable.

Digging: Jon Hopkins - Immunity

NastyCrab

"Goodbye Megatron" come on treb

TheSupernatural
August 8th 2013

I just found this band through Audiotree, consider me impressed. Not sure how good the record is, but they sounded incredible with the live performance.

Digging: xSPONGEXCOREx - How Tough Are Yah?

spartanawasp
August 8th 2013

Great review but for me this is a 4.

kingjulian

FINALLY.

ILJ
August 8th 2013

"Unfortunately The Difference Between Hell and Home is not greater than the sum of its parts, nor is it a worthy measure to its counterparts"

i c wat u did

short review but you drove your points home well. good job, not many people on this site can execute the short review.

Hawks
August 8th 2013

Agree completely with this.

Digging: Engraved - Before The Tales

August 8th 2013

I've been writing so many short reviews lately, I want an album to come along and blow me away that I can fap to for like 7 paragraphs

EaglesBecomeVultures

Digging: Yung Lean - Unknown Memory

kingjulian
August 8th 2013

Glad to know it's "Goodbye Megaton." Fallout reference, cool. Transformers reference, not so much.

silentstar

great review.

it just boggles me a bit that someone who liked their second album doesn't like this one as much. I see it as a perfect successor

Wait it's Megaton? How the fuck did I never notice this, that is cooler