Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
The Heist

by RoundOnEndHiInMiddle USER (15 Reviews)
August 7th, 2013 | 30 replies | 1,250 views

Review Summary: Excellently written songs backed up by flawless production, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis create a fun, thought-provoking, and moving record.

Modern day hip-hop, while very popular and beloved by many, is also one of the most hated genres in the entire world. If you ask someone who hates it, they will tell you that the only people that actually buy records from rappers such as Lil Wayne, Drake, and Nicki Minaj, are drunk high school and college kids that are too stupid to listen to anything but what the radio plays.

While that is not exactly the truth, modern hip-hop has come under fire for it's repetitive subject matter and lack of writing integrity. So when independent Seattle rapper Ben Haggerty, better known as "Macklemore", and his right-hand-man/producer Ryan Lewis, released their debut album "The Heist" to considerable radio play, many, including myself, expected another sex/drugs/money rapper to brag about himself (which, in hindsight, seemed like the only type of rapper the radio's tolerated).

I am very happy to admit that I was wrong.

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis make for a dynamic duo across this 15 track LP, which features excellently crafted songs with flawless production. Macklemore's style of rapping is very subject-based, meaning that he does not ramble on about random things for 4 minutes (Except on the hit song "Thrift Shop", where he quite literally rambles on about random things for 4 minutes.) This allows him to play it safe with his lyrics, as they do not have to be vague or complex for us to understand his (usually) deep meanings. Songs like "Ten Thousand Hours", "Same Love", and "Starting Over" are excellent story-telling songs written by Macklemore.

As for Ryan Lewis, he is the real star of the record. Every beat on the album is well-crafted and fun/moving to listen to. His beats and sound production fit Macklemore's style perfectly. I was hard pressed to find any song that was not made much better by Ryan Lewis' production. Songs like "Can't Hold Us", " Thrift Shop", and "Jimmy Iovine" have so many different elements to their respective beats, but Lewis makes everything flow together as smooth as silk.

The record isn't perfect, as there are a few songs that are either out of place, ("Cowboy Boots"), or just not up to par with the others ("Thin Line"). That being said, it is easily one of the better hip-hop albums of 2012. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis were made to make the other better at what they do, and that is exactly what happens on this record. Macklemore may not do anything new or inventive with his lyrics, but his socially and politically conscious mind allows him to appeal to our better nature, and to make us think about the world around us, and the values of that world. And as Ryan Lewis backs him up with his fun/moving beats, he really is able to drive the nail home.

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis may very well be the future of hip-hop, for better or worse. It's comforting that they take a big leap towards the better with this excellent album.

Del tha Funkee Homosapien I Wish My Brother George Was HereLantlos Melting Sun
DjRum MountainsCode Orange Cycles
I Killed The Prom Queen BelovedBob Marley and The Wailers Soul Revolution

VS.

HolidayKirk
August 7th 2013

"many, including myself, expected another sex/drugs/money rapper to brag about himself incessantly."

This is a solid review, but my god, don't end your first paragraph browbeating the rest of rap music.

August 7th 2013

Thanks! I didn't mean the rest of rap music as a whole, I just meant what is on the radio. I think I'll edit that.

Digging: Social Distortion - Social Distortion

hogan900
August 7th 2013

thrift shop may be one of the most annoying songs in the world due to the fact of how overplayed it is. Good review though.

August 7th 2013

Thanks! I know what you mean, though, after awhile the song got be a real ear worm.

jtswope

2086 Comments

Nice review but yeah I'd edit that first paragraph.

hogan900
August 7th 2013

I mean the song had a great meaning to it.. But after hearing IM GONNA POP SUM TAGS! Like 1000 times I basically just gave up on the radio.

lowest common denominator progressives

August 7th 2013

wow this is a stupid review

August 7th 2013

What's stupid about it? I'm open to some constructive criticism.

August 7th 2013

it completely lacks any understanding of rap music, there's a lot of ignorance spewed at the genre in general, and hyperbolic, sweeping generalizations like "Macklemore and Ryan Lewis may very well be the future of hip-hop" only exacerbate an already narrow minded opinion

i didn't neg tho

HolidayKirk
August 7th 2013

Yeah I'm not the biggest fan of the reviews content but I didnt neg either cause your openness to criticism is refreshing.

August 7th 2013

Thank you, both. My purpose was to show how different this album is compared to other rap albums that receive a lot of time on radio, because I know a lot people hate rap that is played on the radio with a passion. I was speaking in relation to those people. I myself don't have a strong opinion either way about rap on the radio, some of it's good, and some of it's bad.

jtswope

2086 Comments

Keep up the good work. Just watch making generalizations like that, especially if it's not really your own opinion. Pos.

Thank you very much!

Calc
August 7th 2013

if you know where to look modern hip-hop is just fine.

Digging: Jizue - Shiori

August 8th 2013

"lowest common denominator progressives"

essentially

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

Scoot
August 8th 2013

album is for white people who don't listen to rap

oltnabrick

album is for suck

Digging: Curren$y - Saturday Night Car Tunes

Kman418
August 8th 2013

people who are like "mackelmore is the best rapper ever bc he raps about gay ppl and respectin women!@!!!!@!" are the worst kind of people

Digging: OutKast - Aquemini

sixdegrees

ahaha

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!