Scorpions
Fly to the Rainbow

by Daniel Dias USER (94 Reviews)
August 5th, 2013 | 36 replies

Release Date: 1974 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Uli Jon Roth makes his stand in a memorable, if not overlooked, early Scorpions release.

Scorpions

Klaus Meine: Vocals
Uli Jon Roth: Lead Guitar
Rudolf Schenker: Rhythm Guitar
Francis Buchholz: Bass Guitar
Jürgen Rosenthal: Drums

After the release of Scorpions' debut album, Lonesome Crow, the Scorps' line-up suffered changes: co-founding member Rudolf Schenker signed a deal with UFO and became their guitarist when he was still touring with the Scorpions; bassist Lothar Heimberg and drummer Wolfgang Dziony left the band, shortly after Michael's departure. Uli Jon Roth replaced Michael Schenker and Francis Buchholz was hired, as well as Jürgen Rosenthal. Buchholz and Rosenthal had previously worked with Uli Roth in Roth's band, Dawn Road. As the new line-up was established, Scorpions' second album, Fly to the Rainbow, was released in November 1974, two years after the release of Lonesome Crow. The debut album had recieved mixed critical reception, and they were starting to find their own style and identity. Michael Shencker's aforementioned departure from the band disturbed that process, but Roth was about to change all that.

Uli Jon Roth's virtuosity, creativity and impact was huge for the direction of the band. The Scorps desperately needed someone who pushed the entire direction of the band forward, and Roth was able to do just that. He was precisely the guitarist that they needed. With Roth's arrival, the Scorps continued to explore their style into a higher ground. And, considering the changes between Lonesome Crow and Fly to the Rainbow, the young musicians had an astounding improvement. Scorpions' debut album turned out to be surprisingly good to listen to, but they couldn't find their own identity, turning the album's sound into a sort of 'Zeppelin-meets-Cream'. Fly to the Rainbow features an amazing increase in terms of creativity, maturity and style. Uli Jon Roth was a perfectionist and he was anxious to show himself to the world, therefore assuming himself as the Scorpions' creative force. And his sense of leadership was incredible for the Scorps and for the direction and ambition of the album.

Roth's amazing talent and virtuosity can be seen and appreciated throughout the entire album, but he wouldn't be able to do everything by himself. Klaus Meine and Rudolf Schenker developed a connection, establishing themselves as a songwriting team, and Meine's vocal abilities are phenomenal too. Sometimes, in Lonesome Crow, he seemed a bit absent. Now, there was a huge improvement. Buchholz and Rosenthal were immediately able to familiarize themselves with the other members of the band. Therefore, the musicianship is excellent. The production of the album is great too, it's not rushed, but focused and very meticulous. Even the track listing is placed almost perfectly. The final result is extraordinary. Fly to the Rainbow has immediate standouts, and they're not few. The first song of the album, Speedy's Coming, is one of those standouts. Speedy's Coming's lyrics are pretty tongue in cheek, but ignore the lyrics and you have a very energetic and powerful rocker. But the album couldn't succeed without its masterpieces: They Need A Million, Drifting Sun and Fly to the Rainbow.

Those songs can easily showcase the Scorps' style, creativity and talent. An amazing musicianship is carried to the songs, giving them a true force. And there is space for experiments too. Uli Jon Roth has a chance to sing in Drifting Sun. His voice may not be very good but Klaus Meine collaborates with him in a pleasant way. Its phenomenal solo also hints at Scorpions' progressive rock influences. They Need A Million and Fly to the Rainbow, a 9-minute epic performance, feature Roth's astounding technique, and Rudolf Schenker does an incredible rhythmic job while Klaus' performance is very solid. Buchholz and Rosenthal are not as flashy as the other members of the band, but they still do a good job. Moreover, Fly People Fly would be a standout in any other album, and while the agressive This Is My Song and the more melodic and melancholic Far Away aren't in the same quality, they don't necessarily hurt the listening experience too.

Fly to the Rainbow, while incredibly overlooked, is of extreme importance to Scorpions' career and features many of their influences, but also a very strong creative niche. However, more line-up changes occurred after this one. Jürgen Rosenthal, the drummer, would leave the band, and he would be replaced by Rudy Lenners. Scorpions' next album, In Trance, would have a heavier sound. Producer Dieter Dierks would give the members of the band a big boost, helping them establishing their style.

Recommended Tracks