Scorpions
Fly To The Rainbow

by Daniel Dias USER (66 Reviews)
August 5th, 2013 | 23 replies

Release Date: 1974 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Uli Jon Roth makes his stand.

Scorpions

Klaus Meine: Vocals
Uli Jon Roth: Lead Guitar
Rudolf Schenker: Rhythm Guitar
Francis Buchholz: Bass Guitar
Jürgen Rosenthal: Drums

After the release of Scorpions' debut album, Lonesome Crow, the Scorps' line-up suffered changes: co-founding member Rudolf Schenker signed a deal with UFO and became their guitarist when he was still touring with the Scorpions; bassist Lothar Heimberg and drummer Wolfgang Dziony left the band, shortly after Michael's departure. Uli Jon Roth replaced Michael Schenker and Francis Buchholz was hired, as well as Jürgen Rosenthal. Buchholz and Rosenthal had previously worked with Uli Roth in Roth's band, Dawn Road. As the new line-up was established, Scorpions' second album, Fly to the Rainbow, was released in November 1974, two years after the release of Lonesome Crow. The debut album had recieved mixed critical reception, and they were starting to find their own style and identity. Michael Shencker's aforementioned departure from the band disturbed that process, but Roth was about to change all that.

Uli Jon Roth's virtuosity, creativity and impact was huge for the direction of the band. The Scorps desperately needed someone who pushed the entire direction of the band forward, and Roth was able to do just that. He was the guitarist that they needed. With Roth's arrival, the Scorps continued to explore their style into a higher ground. And, considering the changes between Lonesome Crow and Fly to the Rainbow, the young musicians had an astounding improvement. Scorpions' debut album turned out to be surprisingly good to listen to, but they couldn't find their own identity, turning the album's sound into a sort of Zeppelin-meets-Cream. Fly to the Rainbow features an amazing increase in terms of creativity, maturity and style. Uli Jon Roth was a perfectionist and he was anxious to show himself to the world. Therefore, he assumed himself as the Scorpions' creative force. And his sense of leadership was incredible for the Scorps and for the direction and ambition of the album.

Roth's amazing talent and virtuosity can be seen and appreciated throughout the entire album, but he wouldn't be able to do everything by himself. Klaus Meine and Rudolf Schenker developed a connection, establishing themselves as a songwriting team, and Meine's vocal abilities are phenomenal too. Sometimes, in Lonesome Crow, he seemed a bit absent. Now, there was a huge improvement. Buchholz and Rosenthal were immediately able to familiarize themselves with the other members of the band. Therefore, the musicianship is excellent. The production of the album is as close to flawless as it can be. It's not rushed and the songs aren't painful to listen to, it is focused and very meticulous. Even the track listing is placed with smartness and ability. The final result is absolutely extraordinary. Fly to the Rainbow has immediate standouts, and they're not few. The first song of the album, Speedy's Coming, is one of those standouts. Speedy's Coming's lyrics are flagrantly stupid: "You like Alice Cooper, you like Ringo Starr; you like David Bowie and friends in Royal Albert Hall" support that argument. But ignore the lyrics and you have a very energetic and powerful rocker. But the album couldn't succeed without its masterpieces: They Need A Million, Drifting Sun and Fly to the Rainbow.

Those songs can easily showcase the Scorps' style, creativity and talent. The lyrics aren't exactly very meaningful or even important, especially because only the title track has special messages, such as: I am in disgrace, yet I see a smiling face, and I hope you let me share your place. But music is not only made of great songwriting. An amazing musicianship is carried to the songs' essence, giving them a true meaning. And there is space for experiments too. Uli Jon Roth has a chance to sing in Drifting Sun. His voice may not be very good but Klaus Meine collaborates with him in a pleasant way. Drifting Sun's solo is phenomenal and several hints of Scorpions' progressive rock influences can be discovered. They Need A Million and Fly to the Rainbow, a 9-minute epic performance, feature Roth's astounding technique and trademark (he is one of the most acknowledged contributors to the neo-classical metal genre), but it's not a one-man-show. Rudolf Schenker does an incredible rhythmic job, accompanying Uli, and Klaus' performance is very solid, as he showcases his great vocal abilities. Buchholz and Rosenthal are not as flashy as the other members of the band, but they still do a good job. This amazing talent could only turn into a great set of songs. These are only the best songs of the album. Fly People Fly would be a standout in any other album, as well as the powerful This Is My Song. Even the more melodic and melancholic Far Away is very peaceful and worthy of recognition.

Fly to the Rainbow was obviously/tremendously misunderstood by the critical press. It topped the charts in Germany and Japan, but it didn't attain any recognition in the United States. This album still features many of Scorpions' influences, but they have been incredibly developed into higher areas and singularized. Scorpions' sound, style and identity was being crafted. However, more line-up changes occurred. Jürgen Rosenthal, the drummer, would leave the band, and he would be replaced by Rudy Lenners. Scorpions' next album, In Trance, would have a heavier sound. Producer Dieter Dierks would give the members of the band a big boost, helping them establishing their style.

Recommended Tracks