Yezda Urfa
Boris

by JP Patino Izquierdo USER (4 Reviews)
August 5th, 2013 | 73 replies

Release Date: 1975 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Saviors who have crossed the ages... to revive classic-prog

In the 70's there was a "collapse" of prog bands, that's why it was inevitable that some of them, with good material didn't reached success, one of these bands was Yezda Urfa.

Very little is known about the band, formed in 1973 in the United States, they only released three albums (one of them is a live one), the first one, Boris, was released as a demo in 1975 but got rejected in every the music label. Decades later, in 2004, the band made a recording deal with Syn-phonic records and the album was finally released to the public.

Boris if often compared to some Yes albums, however, it manages to create its own identity. The first song, Boris and his 3 Verses, Including Flow Guides aren't my Bag is a ten-minutes epic that has some acoustic guitars and catchy vocals... but it is the impressive synth work what makes of this song arguably the best on the album, what Phil Kimbrough does with the keyboards is nothing but exceptional.

The album varies its styles at many moments, some of them being dominated by synthetizers or electric guitar riffs and some other by acoustic guitars or flutes, like in 3, Almost 4, 6 yea , the best example of this constant (yet awesome and well worked) style changing is Texas Armadillo a two minutes instrumental ruled by the sound of a banjo that can even make you forget that this is a prog album.

Certainly, it sounds like Yes at some points, but not like some kind of copycat band, it sounds just as good as the best material Yes did, with a synth work that is on par with the one of Wakeman and also adding some instruments that this band wasn't used to play, like flutes or banjos.

Definitely an essential album, is one of the biggest examples of a band that didn't get the recognition it deserved: catchy vocals, INCREDIBLE synth work, awesome guitar riffs, etc... makes of this album one of the strongest in the genre.

Yezda Urfa would release in 1976 Sacred Baboon (that would also get rejected and was released to the public only in 1989) but it consists mainly of reworked material from Boris so it won't impress as much as this album does.

Yezda Urfa is:
-Brad Christoff- Drums, percussion
-Phil Kimbrough- Synthtizers, mandolin, vocals
-Mark Tippins- Guitar, vocals
-Marc Miller- Bass, cello, vocals
-Rick Rodenbaugh- Vocals

Special thanks to: Syn-phonic Records, the only label that recognized the talent this band has.

4.3

August 5th 2013

I got surprised when I saw this album so high in the prog charts of sputnik time ago, that's why I gave it a try and hell... I wasn't dissapointed

August 5th 2013

Damn it. I was just planning on reviewing this next week. I've had some written notes that I've been meaning to turn into a review for a while, so I hope you don't mind. Good work though, man POS'd. This is a really great album. It definitely has some Yes-like synths and balladry arrangements in a few sections, but Yezda certainly add their own touch of weirdness and cleverness that really makes it their own.

Have you heard Sacred Baboon? I personally still haven't gotten around to that one.

August 5th 2013

I've heard only the new songs, the other ones are just reworked material, so I don't think it would interest you that much, however the new songs are pretty good, not as much as these ones, but very interesting tho

August 5th 2013

I didn't know they had new material. I thought it was just this and Sacred Baboon. I might check them out, out of curiosity since you say they are good.

Anyway, really great work here. It's nice to see some lesser known stuff get covered.

August 5th 2013

listen to their live album YEZDAURFALIVE it is on their site, very interesting to listen to them live

August 5th 2013

Oh, cool I'll check that out as well. Is it a recent concert or a recording from the '70s?

2004, but it is the original line-up

danielcardoso

Short and simple, Pos'd.
I heard Texas Armadillo and it rules.

August 5th 2013

haha thanks, it is really hard to write short reviews for me, but it seems like I finally did it

manosg
August 5th 2013

Good call for a review, album rules hard. Well written, pos.

Digging: Acrimony - Tumuli Shroomaroom

August 5th 2013

well this album is ruined.

Cygnatti

this ruin is albumed.

u got me

August 5th 2013

Review has a ton of typos and shit

Digging: Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

August 5th 2013

^English is not my first language

August 5th 2013

This review is terrible for real but I wont neg

Ye same

August 5th 2013

It was my first attempt on a short review, so yeah, I understand that it isn't good, it would really help me a lot if you could tell me what do you think is wrong with it

August 5th 2013

You should've used the words "swag" and "420yolobitch" more often.

danielcardoso
August 5th 2013

I pos'd it but i think you could write a longer review.
You tried to keep it simple but don't keep it way too simple.
You know what i'm sayin'?