Phinehas
The Last Word Is Yours To Speak

by P.J. Quinones USER (35 Reviews)
August 5th, 2013 | 28 replies | 4,889 views

Release Date: 07/01/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "The entire world is at your fingertips."

When in a sub category of an semi-mainstream genre, it's hard to get recognition even if you are a band with significant talent. Such is the case of California based christian metal band Phinehas. The term "metal" is used loosely, because they surely do not reflect direct influence from groups like Soilwork, nor do they associate with the catastrophies of scenecore like Asking Alexandria. Phinehas rides the thin line between straightforward metal and metalcore. They've been around for a while, and after their debut full length, Thegodmachine caught eyes and a momentum-inducing extended play ironically titled The Bridge Between, they hit just as hard as the first effort with The Last Word Is Yours To Speak.

Opening track couplet "Throes-Fleshkiller" fills the listener with adrenaline and serves as strong face level advertisement, with video support included. Each song showcases influence from the few and far between metal/metalcore cohorts of the deceased Haste the Day, August Burns Red, the renounced As I Lay Dying, with riff leads and breakdown rhythms that are mostly beneficial for live power. But for as much of a metal groundwork they showcase with satisfying riffs and some well-placed breakdowns, they construct soothing melodies in forms of verse, chorus, harmony, and full songs worth of ambient beauty ("De El Quatro", "Dyson Sphere"). The musicianship of Phinehas is an effective combination of fantastic production and a variety of musical influences. They live up the clear vibe of positive christian metal that bands that are so rare to hear actually done well. Lyrics of unending hope and awe in their god are placed within the music and not too odd a contrast of brutality-purity, as neither trait makes themselves disgustingly evident.

Phinehas unfortunately plays into the hands of critics with a certain, though not complete lack of originality. The evident influence from aforementioned metal/metalcore bands is great and sometimes too overbearing yet subtle enough to keep the entire record enjoyable. Perhaps just a bit left in the shadow of those bands, but steadily progressing out into the sun of enlightenment and the next excellent record.

The Word Alive RealBlessthefall Hollow Bodies
Asking Alexandria From Death to DestinyAttila About That Life
Escape the Fate UngratefulThe Color Morale Know Hope

SadAndHolyGlow
August 4th 2013

Sick review. I was wondering when someone was going to give this the light of day.

Digging: Ritual Mess - Vile Art

August 4th 2013

Thank you dude! This band is so talented, they will have plenty of light all in due time. They need to get onto a big tour like Affiance did with Killswitch Engage so that they can be seen by the fanbase that deserves to hear them. Thinking August Burns Red or Oh, Sleeper headliner of some sort.

Digging: GWAR - War Party

HaloDude442
August 10th 2013

Good review. I definitely need to check this out I loved their first album

August 10th 2013

I can't pick whether I love this album or the first record more. Both are great.

August 11th 2013

For whatever reason I haven't had the time to listen to this yet. I was such a big supporter of these guys when they first released Thegodmachine. Glad they are getting some love here on Sputnik.

Great review man, going to buy this now.

August 11th 2013

Thanks a lot dude!

Slobo
August 12th 2013

Nice review, I couldn't agree more.

August 12th 2013

Thank you! I'm very happy this band is getting more attention.

TFoolery
August 14th 2013

album is leaps and bounds over most other metalcore. Just sounds so refreshing

August 14th 2013

You got that right! Other "metalcore" bands suck so much in comparison.

August 20th 2013

So, I don't know what it is but this album doesn't do much for me. I gave it a full listen and just found myself bored... I'm going to give it a few more spins but so far I'm disappointed. Hopefully it grows on me.

August 22nd 2013

I lied, this album rules.

JustinKing
August 22nd 2013

Band has been consistently great since the beginning. Thegodmachine was absolutely phenomenal, and I didn't think this would be at all on par with it, but it definitely holds up well against it.

August 23rd 2013

I'm glad you changed your ways, Duck.

thegodmachine has to be my favorite still, but just by a smidge. TLWIYTS is still a great record though.

August 25th 2013

I think ill finally give this band a listen. ive heard of them here and there but never even took a chance to listen

August 25th 2013

I like this a lot, it gives me faith that real metalcore isnt completely dying out

August 25th 2013

Oh yes. It's definitely not dead with groups like this around still.

August 25th 2013

I need to find more bands like this

August 26th 2013

My Heart To Fear, listen to them. Their latest album is so damn good.

August 27th 2013