Cloudkicker
Fade

Review Summary: Ben Sharp knows how to push my buttons.

Cloudkicker, for those of you that don’t know, is the alias of the musician Ben Sharp, who is an independent musician that creates instrumental music, aside from one song called Let Yourself Be Huge. If I had to use one word to describe the feeling that emanates from Sharp’s music, I would use the word “dreamy.” It’s easy to find yourself lost in his songs, in even some of his more heavy sections. Ben Sharp creates music that, while remaining engaging and interesting, takes you on an otherworldly expedition. Throughout all of his style changes, his music has always retained that quality.

Sharp’s style has changed drastically over his 4 full length albums. On The Discovery he showcased himself playing repetitive, almost droning technical metal; from there he went on to a more refined and more progressive outlook on metal on his highly appraised album Beacons. From there his music took a drastic transformation into peaceful, tranquil, and almost ambient post-rock, creating some of his most dreamy and enchanting songs yet.

Now, on this album, Ben Sharps takes everything he is great at doing, and amplifies it to the maximum. With songs like The Focus and Making Will Mad showing his metal roots, and songs like Garage Show and Our Crazy Night showing his softer, and more dreamy side, all the while retaining the Cloudkicker charm that is present in all of his music. His guitar work is just as good as it was on Beacons, as shown on the dreamy opener After The Balcony and the cathartic yet peaceful track, and my personal favorite song here, LA After Rain.

Now, whenever I show the music of Cloudkicker to anyone, there is always one track that I go to; the third song on this album, Seattle. This song shows everything that you will find in Ben Sharp’s music, and all executed at masterful levels. In this ten minute song you’ll find astral post-rock passages, riffs that you could headbang to, a sense of emotion and feeling, and parts that just get stuck in your head because of how catchy they are. Seattle is without a doubt the current magnum opus of Cloudkicker, and perhaps the most enormous sounding track he has ever written.

On Fade, Ben Sharp has created an album that has everything I could ever want in music, all at the same time. It’s almost overwhelming. The stunning beauty of this album is something that I think all people should experience. I would highly recommend getting lost in this album.

Hit the Pigeon Boy! It's a Pretty Dark Place to Leave a Piece of LightJulia Brown An Abundance of Strawberries
Elvis Depressedly mickey's deadAlex G DSU
Flower Face HomesickBig Nig Marque un: le point de vue de nigs résumé
oltnabrick (2)
Where the best of old meets the best of new, with a cherry on top....

Scott Krasman (4)
Something old and something new....

Puzzles (4)
Cloudkicker has become a well-oiled machine and released a majestic culmination of his previous work...

11964 Comments

love love love this album

Digging: Purge. - Sewage

zaruyache
August 3rd 2013

Beacons is better. But album and review are good.

Digging: Ardour Loom - Demo

demigod!
August 3rd 2013

downloading Beacons right now. nice review yak, posd

Digging: Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright in the End

bach
August 3rd 2013

Like always, nice review. Pos'd. I should get into this band.

Digging: Caribou - Our Love

11964 Comments

LOL bach you didn't read my review did you?

71955 Comments

wacknizzle

2.5 guys, seriously

Digging: This Gift Is A Curse - I, Gvilt Bearer

August 3rd 2013

idk, could probably be a 3 if I listened to it again. just never ever get the urge to listen to this
guy.

Omaha
August 4th 2013

Nice review, man. I definitely get the connection you feel with Cloudkicker's music. I was introduced to him through Beacons, and oh man-- I have memories of playing Fable to that record, and it somehow working perfectly haha.

I spun this record a few weeks back for the first time (haven't been bothered to check it out until now, for some reason,) and I really liked what I heard. It's obvious Sharp is really into shoegaze these days, but he channels that style into his own music incredibly well. I'll need to listen to this more at some point for sure. It can go by in a blur if you aren't paying close enough attention, but it really reveals itself when played actively.

11964 Comments

Thanks Jakey, glad you like the review and this album

oltnabrick