Strictly Ballroom
Hide Here Forever

by Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (90 Reviews)
August 3rd, 2013 | 11 replies

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A strictly awesome album made for strictly baller 90s emo fans

Wow, can you believe it? Strictly Ballroom were doing the whole post-rock/emo thing a whole three years (or 30 years in emo time) before The Appleseed Cast, and no one even batted as much as an eye. Yes, believe it or not, the forgotten pioneer of the mid 90s Strictly Ballroom's only studio effort Hide Here Forever was merely a blip on the radar of an already small scene, and if more people had heard their work, Strictly Ballroom would likely have been heralded as pioneers in the genre.

Strictly Ballroom took their love for 90s emo, and Brian Eno's epic soundscapes and combined them to create a dynamic and emotional sound. A sound that was popularized by The Appleseed Cast and has had a resurgence in the revival emo scene, but unknowingly to most, was done first, and done extremely well by Strictly Ballroom. Hide Here Forever employs the loud/quiet/loud dynamics of bands like Mineral and takes it to the next level with plenty of instrumental passages and much longer than average songs, which culminate in the epic 14 minute closer "A Sudden Interest In Nature." A couple of the songs are more garden variety Mineral worship though, like the wonderful "Something That Just Is," which manages to be an even better Mineral knockoff than The Appleseed Cast ever managed to pull off.

All in all, Hide Here Forever is a gem amongst gems, with its ability to excel at playing very loud, very soft, and everything in between. Apart from the most well known bands of the era, 90s emo seems to be slowly drifting into obscurity, including Strictly Ballroom, and it's such a shame because Hide Here Forever is one of the genre's strongest efforts, and far too strong of an album to have deserved being overlooked.

Tiny Moving Parts Pleasant LivingPrawn Kingfisher
Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) You Will Eventually Be ForgottenKyary Pamyu Pamyu Pikapika Fantajin
Brave Bird T-Minus Grand GestureOld Gray/Tiny Moving Parts Split

August 3rd 2013

Get this if you are cool

Standout tracks:

Something That Just Is:

knots on a counting rope:

A Sudden Interest In Nature:

sixdegrees
August 3rd 2013

I'm not sure I can believe it

Digging: yasumiyasumi - Tokyo Digital Love

bakkermaarten007
August 3rd 2013

"A strictly awesome album made for strictly baller 90s emo fans"
Lol. Anyway, I don't hear as much post-rock in this as you do but I definitely get the idea. I'm also not as convinced of its quality, maybe I should listen to it more but I feel like the opening sequence of 'A Picture' is the prettiest thing ever and then it goes downhill.
Props for reviewing this,

treeqt.

strictly agreed

19917 Comments

"30 years in emo time"

I lol'd. nice little review.

"to create a dynamic and emotion sound" - i think you meant emotional ;)

Digging: Dornenreich - Freiheit

thanks dude

Iamthe Nightstars
August 3rd 2013

The first song is epic. But the screaming at the end of the second song kind of ruins it.

Omaha
August 3rd 2013

Very nice work, man. This sounds like my kinda thing-- review is pretty damned solid too. Did you write this one out on paper?

Only tip I have is to try to avoid phrases like "Yes, believe it or not" -- that's one thing I do when I have little else to say, and that stuff can feel like a bit too much if that makes sense. Can't explain it well, I guess!

August 3rd 2013

I did not write this one on paper

I put the wow, believe it or not thing to establish a lighter tone, I probably wouldn't do that for a serious new release review, but I was just having fun with this one

treeqt.