Deadlock

very poor

by Thompson D. Gerhart STAFF
August 1st, 2013 | 32 replies

Release Date: 07/26/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Deadjentlock. An album that's even worse than that portmanteu.

Let's be swift, honest, and decisive about this: The Arsonist is not good. It's a metal abortion on par with Super Collider with the only difference between the two being the smaller fanbase Deadlock has to disappoint. And make no mistake, they disappoint.

At times, I wonder how it is that The Arsonist is as weak an album as it is. 2011's Bizzaro World, while looked down upon by some, carried a crisp and tight execution with a more modern take on the band's polished melodeath roots and was, if nothing else, a personal favorite. Yet The Arsonist forgoes almost everything the band has done before. So much so that The Arsonist may as well be a new release by a new band. A far, far worse band than the Deadlock we've known in the past.

The Arsonist charges full force into a "darker, heavier" sound laced with poor production that heaps all of the worst qualities of a common djent band onto what was once a fairly unique and talented melodeath act. And it's a shock - nothing in Deadlock's previous work anticipates this terribly psychotic shift into a style which largely forsakes melody, and with good reason. Sabine Wagner's voice simply works better when framed by mid-high melodic leads and the sort of orchestral underscoring that made previous albums successful. Yet those very elements are suspiciously absent on The Arsonist following the departures of Joe Prem and Gert Rymen.

This album focuses almost entirely on a low-end sound that's become something worse than merely "generic" all executed in a way that feels less than inspired. Sure, Sabine's voice makes it apparent that this is a Deadlock album, but at most points, her voice doesn't even mesh properly with the music. The latter half of the album is a bit better at catering to her leading melodies by easing off of the low-end gas, but the tracks still feel weak, uninspired, and generally shameful, though it's hard to blame Sabine for an album which runs almost exclusively counter to her greatest assets (which are, consequently, the band's greatest assets).

John Gahlert sounds weak and forced on harsh vocal duties and with Sabine in tow, it's hard to imagine why the band chose to lead with John at about a 70:30 split between the two. Of course, his voice seems to fit this new musical direction more easily, though that begs the question: Why force a worse singer to front a worse style of music?

From sloppy and slow soloing over muddy djent rhythms that kick off "The Great Pretender" to the downright boring and uninspired rhythmic sections of... well, the entire album (not to mention the awful Skrillex-esque drops of "As We come Undone"), there's very little redeeming to be found in The Arsonist. In fact, it's an album that really shows Deadlock becoming everything you'd hoped they'd never be and shamelessly burning any hope they had for a continuing melodeath conquest.

The Arsonist is the antithesis of anything the band has done to this point and, quite honestly, it should be burned and forgotten, as its own title so lovingly implies.

Devin Townsend Project Z2Thank You Scientist Maps of Non-Existent Places
Opeth Pale CommunionRx Bandits Gemini, Her Majesty
Chris Letchford LightboxHoth Oathbreaker
2.6

AtomicWaste

2010 Comments

Fuck it, if Deadlock aren't willing to take more time to make a decent album, I'm not going to waste more time writing a better review.

Enjoy.

Digging: Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places

Scoot
August 1st 2013

earth revolt and wolves are great

shame they went downhill so fast

Digging: The Smith Street Band - Throw Me In The River

August 1st 2013

I disagree, completly, I think its probably their best album. I do consider myself a fan of this band, and I love Sabine's voice.
Even if you didnt like the album its not a big deal for this band to release something a bit shitty, megadeth on the other hand...is almost dead, sadly.

August 1st 2013

And its not very metal but you cant deny "My pain" sounds pretty awesome.

Durrzo
August 1st 2013

"I think its probably their best album"

I rarely say this to people just for sharing their opinions but you're a fucking idiot if you actually believe that.

Digging: Bloodshot Dawn - Demons

Deviant.
August 1st 2013

Don't really get how one band could be let off the hook while another couldn't. That's really just being hypocritical and biased

Digging: Objekt - Flatland

Willie
August 1st 2013

You're a fucking idiot if you believe that. Maybe he likes the djent sound more than melodic death metal or whatever. Your mom isn't here. Nobody is going to pretend that your opinion is fact.

Also, I've heard this a few times now and I never picked up on any Djent influences. I'll listen again, I guess.

Dreamflight
August 1st 2013

Damn their latest was really cool. I'll still check this nevertheless.

Durrzo
August 1st 2013

"Nobody is going to pretend that your opinion is fact."

Which doesn't bother me in the slightest. My opinion is that his opinion is shitty and your opinion is that my opinion is shitty. We are on sputnik where people give each other shit like that nonstop are we not?

Metalstyles
August 1st 2013

Solid work my man, I actually like the ranty style of this review and some of the hyperbolic statements you throw around ("Why force a worse singer to front a worse style of music?" definitely made me chuckle). I've never given this band a chance aside from their singles, but when and if I will, I definitely won't start here.

Jacquibim
August 1st 2013

Just heard I'm Gone on YouTube and it was pretty lame, won't be checking this out.

Digging: Off Minor - The Heat Death of the Universe

Eclecticist
August 1st 2013

"The Arsonist should really be entitled The Masochist, because forcing yourself to listen to this
over and over again may qualify as self-torture in some regions.
"

yawn, your humour sucks.

August 1st 2013

First two comments are spot on. Manifesto was good but signaled their decline. I thoroughly enjoyed Earth revolt to Manifesto but after that they went to complete shit, I want to bombard their facebook page with this review. New male vocalist sucks so much.

Digging: Reverend Bizarre - Return to the Rectory

August 1st 2013

"I rarely say this to people just for sharing their opinions but you're a fucking idiot if you actually believe that"

Hey thats not cool, not cool at all, its just my opinion, you cant call me an idiot for liking something you dont.

August 1st 2013

Low ratings bring out the worst in people. EVERYBODY JUST LOSES THEIR MIND!!!

Shuyin
August 1st 2013

damn, now im not even going to comment

Digging: Yoko Kanno - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex OST Vol 1

Scoot

lol willie smash

zaruyache
August 1st 2013

Odd thing to say given the actual quality of this piece.

Digging: Ardour Loom - Demo

August 1st 2013

Deadlock's descent began in 2008. Manifesto while enjoyable began the downward slope.

oltnabrick