Philip H. Anselmo and The Illegals
Walk Through Exits Only

1.5
very poor

by BlackLlama USER (40 Reviews)
July 29th, 2013 | 15 replies | 3,429 views

Release Date: 07/16/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Phil Anselmo returns with his angriest project yet. Is it a return to form, or an attempt to capture lightning in a bottle once again?

Before we start talking about the matter at hand, let us first get rid of some pre-conceptions. This is not Pantera. This is not Down. This is a new project from Anselmo and his new band The Illegals; while it takes influence from each of those bands, this is its own monster. While Anselmo has stayed in the murky waters of the heavy metal scene for years, this project is his first foray into the style that made him a household name. Not since The Great Southern Trendkill have we been given a project from the versatile lead singer with this amount of anger and damnation.

Joining Anselmo this time around are The Illegals. Marzi Montazeri handles the guitar duties here. A decent mix of groove and nu-metal riffs with the occasional foray into the more subtle aspects that fans of Down will appreciate. Stephen Taylor is on bass and Jose Manuel Gonzales sits the throne. Both are apt musicians and play with appropriate hostility and skill on the record. I am not sure if it is the lack of Seth Putnam's (RIP) layered into his screams, or his age creeping up on him, but Anselmo just is not the same here. Yes, it is nice to hear him go back to the venomous vitriol that influenced generations of fans; but the weight of those generations are pressing. While his voice maintains some of the old swagger, at times it feels painful and forced; almost like it is giving out. There are moments of the old brilliance, but sadly it is not a constant.

Decent musicians and a skilled (if not aging) vocalist with years of experience should make for a decent collection of songs. Wrong. I was astounded by the lack of decent hooks on this release. Yes the songs are technically well done, and there is a mountain of hate in the delivery, there just is not any substance to the songs. “Everybody ruins music, not just me” Anselmo berates on ‘Walk Through Exits’; and while I would not call this release ruined, it is far from the return to form many were hoping for. There is not enough fire here to even call this a hot mess. The opener is woefully out of place and just left me scratching my head wondering why the song had not kicked in yet. It was like reading a chapter out of one book, only to turn the page and find that you were reading a different story. This may be forgivable if it did not happen repeatedly on the album. The track ‘Irrelevant Walls and Computer Screens’ best exemplifies this release. Like the memoirs of a schizophrenic it is all over the place, and in the end meanders on in a tangent that had me repeatedly wondering out loud “why isn’t this over yet?”

Painful in parts, while average in others; I wanted to like this release, I really did. I grew up on Pantera and Down and maybe I walked in with higher expectation from Phil’s “return to form” as many were hailing this. Maybe I should have taken the bands advice and ‘walked through the exit’. I was left just trying to find something redeemable from the album; at this point I am still looking…

Overkill White Devil ArmoryBobby Jimmy and the Critters Ugly Knuckle Butt
Razor Malicious IntentSteel Panther All You Can Eat
We Are The In Crowd Weird KidsBiohazard Urban Discipline
2.7

July 29th 2013

This review originally appeared here :

Also, I could not for the life of me come up with recs based on this release. I didn't want to make the obligatory Pantera/Down ones... so I'm open to suggestions :D

Digging: Cinderella - Heartbreak Station

Pos, sweet review dude.
Still need to check this, but I was never expecting much.

Digging: Kimbra - The Golden Echo

DrGonzo1937
July 29th 2013

Had a funny feeling from his interviews this was going to be a pile of shit.

Good review. Pos.

InbredJed
July 29th 2013

It's kind of a shame, I've been a fan of everything else the man has done. But the signs were there when Superjoint Ritual live shows degenerated into racist tirades, and now it doesn't seem like he has anything relevant to say.

TrueBlood

looks quee

Sweatingbullets
July 29th 2013

Determined not to check this out for fear it will ruin my memory of Pantera

PumpBoffBag
July 29th 2013

very good review man, take a pos

Wizard

19296 Comments

Good review. I listened to this a few weeks back and I remember groaning with pain throughout. Anselmo has always been mediocre except for Superjoint Ritual, they were decent at best.

And seriously, just look at the album cover and album title, he looks like he's taking a shit. He should have done as the album title suggests a long time ago.

Digging: Downer - Downer

July 29th 2013

I was hoping it would be good as I grew up on Pantera back in the early 90s. I was quite sad listening to this.

thespaceforthis
July 29th 2013

dis album is ok mah nigs, but phillip doesnt no bout hip-hop

August 3rd 2013

The end of Irrelevant Walls is alright but the rest of this is pretty bad.

skoik
January 16th 2014

good one from a guy who's 45 and kept metal alive through the 90's alongside his mates from pantera, the same guy that made SJR which is a very good band in spite pf all its detractors and last but not least Down. So listen to Phil's music or stfu.

January 16th 2014

this sucks though for real

January 16th 2014

Kept metal alive through the 90's O.o What the actual fuck does that mean?

January 16th 2014

it means THIS IS PHIL MOTHER FUCKIN ANSELMO SO 5 THIS SHIT RIGHT NOW MOTHER FUCKER