Black Veil Brides
Wretched and Divine: The Story of the Wild Ones

by Drazor1 USER (4 Reviews)
July 28th, 2013 | 19 replies | 1,420 views

Release Date: 01/08/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Wretched and Divine, The problem is, which word would you use?

So Black Veil Brides is a Rock band from LA who is famous for their distinct appearance(That's dwindled down a lot since "Set the World on Fire) and lyrical structures. Now I'll admit, I liked these guys a lot since I first heard "We Stitch These Wounds" and I fairly enjoyed their sophomore record. But now comes their Highly anticipated new album "Wretched and Divine: The Story of the Wild Ones" The concept record of the band saving the world from some church evildoers. At first, I was excited, what with the band getting their own movie from this, but now that I've listened to this, I bet it's safe to say, My expectations were a little drafted.

So the song kicks off with a intro by Vocalist Andy Biersack, the remaining founding member, called "Exordium", then it kicks off into the song "I am Bulletproof" which is actually a good song. It had good riffing, a fun solo, and Andy's vocals have improved drastically from their last effort. Also he's cut back on the screaming, which is good cause he wasn't too good of a screamer either. The next song is "New Year's Day" which is worse. The song had cheesy lyrics and a boring tone overall. A lot of songs on this album is like that unfortunately. The album shows an overabundance on it's theatrical elements and story telling, rather then song writing. As a result, the album and the band both suffer from that.

Some songs on the other hand, like the aforementioned "I am Bulletproof", "Nobody's Hero", "Resurrect the Sun", and "In the End" and the best songs on the album, being able to stand alone away from both the movie and this album. Give this album a try and these are the songs you'll remember the most. The song's are all catchy in general, but lyrical they are the most clever, unlike songs such as "Done for You" and "Devil's Choir". Also the album has too many interludes, while some are good, others, most notably the F.E.A.R transmissions, are there mainly to carry the story along. While it helps with the story, once you've heard em, you'll skip them every time.

The band on one hand has greatly improved as a unit, but also carry out the same stuff they've been doing. This album is basically a combination of their last two albums. Jake Pitts does his typical Shredding, though he's far improved more then his predicable solos from the last album. Jinxx is able to carry his own weight in this album, Even showing off his fantastic violin skills in "Overture" He's heard quite a lot in this album and it's help add to the albums emotional tone to the album like in songs "Resurrect the Sun" and "Lost it All". Christian "CC" Coma has been doing his thing since he took over from Sandra in 2011. But in this album, I'm disappointed. He showed his talent as a great drummer in the last album, but here, He just follows the band in whatever their doing, not once showing his skills. Even in the battle anthem "Shadows Die" He's just giving the rest of the band something to stand on. It's sad really.

"In The End" however, is one of the best songs from this band period. It's got good riffing, sweet violin pieces from Jinxx, and a great solo from Jake. Andy's song writing has also improved from the last album and it's a hell of a lot better. This is clearly the best song on this album. While other songs fail to live up to it. Like "Days our Numbered" Which is really boring and features and unneeded appearance from The Used's "Bert McCracken". Some songs are strong enough to stand their own ground while others are nothing but boring fodder. It's disappointing really. I'm a bit of a fan of this band. But this album will disappoint anyone expecting a lot.

So "In the End", Wretched and Divine does it's job in telling a fun story and if you're willing, Mind you willing, to stick around for it, I say go for it. It's nothing too shabby or horrible, but it lacks a lot of what could of been. I know a lot of people are gonna hate me or this review mainly cause "We get it, it's sucks" or "BVB sucks, so this review sucks!" but whatever. I did this for fun. I like this album, and I like the band, I'm just saying, give hate where hate is due, and while this album doesn't really deserve hate, it's doesn't deserve love either...

2.2
poor

sixdegrees
July 28th 2013

ONCE THERE WAS A LITTLE GIRL CLARISSA SHE WAS 10 YEARS OLD AND LIVED IN A MENTAL HOSPITAL BEACUSE SHE KILLED HER parents.SHE GOT SO BAD SHE STARTED TO KILL THE STAFF IN THE HOSPITAL.THE GOVERMENT DECIDED THAT THE BEST IDEA WAS TO GET RID OF HER.THEY SET UP A SPECIAL ROOM TO KILL HER. AND SHE WAS SAT THERE IN AGONY FOR HRS UNTIL SHE FINALLY DIED.EVERY WEEK ON THE DAY OF HER DEATH SHE RETURNS TO THE PERSON THAT READS THIS LETTER ON A MONDAY NIGHT AT 12AM SHE KILLS YOU.SEND TO 20 PEOPLE BE SAVED

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

"lyrical structures"

Digging: Kimbra - The Golden Echo

Friday13th
July 28th 2013

lol he meant teenage lyrical formula

Gwyn.
July 28th 2013

This album is very very good. Great guitar work, especially in some acoustic sections. They're one of the few bands that actually can perform the songs they play on studios live just as well. Catchy and aggressive hooks. Good features. Yes, the lyrics are sometimes childish (Burn MF) and they're not switching scales left and right, but they're not trying to do that. Classic sputnikers to go listen to an album they know they'll hate cause they hate the genre and the style of music just so they can go rant about how shitty it is online. Honestly, go do something more meaningful with your lives. No wonder I've stayed off commenting on this site for so long.

Digging: diSEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence into the Peripheral

spartanawasp
July 28th 2013

You're missing a few dots and capitalizing random words...

ChopSuey
July 28th 2013

Classic sputnikers to go listen to an album they know they'll hate cause they hate the genre and the style of music just so they can go rant about how shitty it is online. Honestly, go do something more meaningful with your lives. No wonder I've stayed off commenting on this site for so long.[2]

SlMBOLlC
July 28th 2013

band isnt that bad guitarists are pretty talented but dont really show it enough. Vox are lame and pretentious tho. Rest is above average pop metal nothing to see there.

DrGonzo1937
July 29th 2013

So you're saying the bands not that bad because the guitarists are "pretty talented"? Pffft.

Takes more than a couple of guitars to make a band listenable for me. The vocals a truly awful.

LOL THIS GARBAGE

so does this band suck

July 29th 2013

For the genre they come out of, not bad. If you like nickelback vocals with simplified A7x style music, then this is your new favorite band.

Drazor1
July 29th 2013

In my personal opinion, No this band doesn't suck, but it's just this band is lacking a lot of stuff i'd love to see. Like A7X's City of Evil was near perfect for me! I'd love to see them do stuff like that, but I don't think it'll ever happen

July 29th 2013

I wasn't making a cheap jab to Avenged Sevenfold. I was saying that Black Veil Brides is trying to have a similar tone, but lack
the originality or complexity (hence simplified).

July 29th 2013

Getting the band's name right would be a start to gain credibility on this site. ^

July 29th 2013

New phone, simple typo. Let's not get our panties in a bunch.

July 30th 2013

Nar all good man just saying haha.

July 30th 2013

Like A7X's City of Evil was near perfect for me!

lol

July 30th 2013

City if Evil is an above average release for an other incredibly mediocre band.