Five Finger Death Punch
The Wrong Side of Heaven and The Righteous Side...

1.5
very poor

by Darkvoid67 USER (32 Reviews)
July 27th, 2013 | 23 replies

Release Date: 07/30/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The sound of a sell-out

Just how far can you push anger, hate and general violence before it becomes a gimmick? This is a question that Five Finger Death Punch, touted by every non-creditable press outlet from Kerrang! to Revolver as this generations Pantera, seem to be intent on answering as they continue in their pursuit of worldwide domination. Granted, Way of the Fist was a decent american metal debut if you were a fan of the style but the trajectory from "War is the Answer" onwards has been decidedly downward looking and this is shown no better than on "The Wrong Side of Heaven...Vol. 1".

Nothing here shows an advancement on the Five Finger Death Punch sound. Only recession. Everything from the simple, chugging guitar lines, asinine lyrics and terrible artwork just stinks of cheese and whats worse is that everything feels incredibly forced. "You" is outlined by bassist Chris Kael as an apparent continuation of the sound present on The Way of the Fist which is both an insult to that albums credibility and his intelligence. That album had pounding double bass sections, good grooves and for once Ivan Moody was not including swear words in every single sentence he screamed out while "angry". This record has very little of that. "You" sounds like the garbage the band threw out on American Capitalist in songs such as "Menace" in an attempt to remain metal, with numerous uses of the f-word and variations on the lyrical concept of "not caring about you" covering up some of the bands most redundant riffs yet and a pointlessly catchy drum performance. And the less said about "Burn M.F" (three guesses what the M.F stands for) the better.

Even the ballads on this record are completely redundant. While every single attempt at this softer song style has basically been a reworking of "The Bleeding" or "Crossing Over", they have traditionally been recognized as a strong point for this band. Not here. Quite what message the title track of this record is, is quite frankly beyond this reviewer. Moody croons about having the devil on one shoulder and god on the other and deciding right from wrong but isn't this just something called the process of living? Whats amusing, and somewhat tragic is that "M.I.N.E (End This Way)" is somehow even worse, with lyrics basically saying "I love you, you love me, oh wait no you don't". Sure, relationships are things covered by musicians all the time but when poppy backing vocals combine with terrible lyrics and "Coming Down" pt. II, the result is like a forced fart.

There is absolutely no reason for this record to exist. There is nothing here that Pantera, Slipknot, Devildriver, Lamb of God, Disturbed and every other humdrum metal band hasn't already covered and in a much more authentic delivery. The only signs of half decent songs are found in "Watch You Bleed" and "Anywhere But Here" but even these sound like rehashings of "No-One Gets Left Behind" and "Hard to See". No doubt this will sell incredibly well and the band members will see a lot of fame as a result, but there is much better stuff out there that was written twenty years ago. Avoid

Nightrage InsidiousUnanimated Ancient God of Evil
Gates Of Ishtar A Bloodred PathDevilDriver Beast
Satyricon The Age Of NeroGates Of Ishtar At Dusk And Forever
2.6
Nash J. CONTRIBUTOR (2)
Five Finger Death Punch's newest album will satisfy their fans, top every "best new rock music" char...

AaronBatt (3)
More of the same from FFDP, but that's necessarily a bad thing....

Seth Barry-Hinton (2)
"Ce'st la vie...adios...good riddance...fuck you."...

Darkvoid67
July 27th 2013

Originally written over at my blog: http://bedsidereview.blogspot.co.uk

Fuck this band and everything they stand for now. Which is apparently swearing and fist fights

Friday13th
July 27th 2013

Bands like this make it impossible for me to say I like heavy metal without a long apologetic explanation.

Digging: Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Solar Fire

evilford

This band fucking sucks

Digging: Thormenthor - Abstract Divinity

Minus.
July 27th 2013

Shit band, always has been.

DatsNotDaMetulz
July 27th 2013

Only song I'm interested in is the one with Max Cavalera but apart from that, I'll pass.

DatsNotDaMetulz
July 27th 2013

will probably be more fun than this) which I can devote my time to in preparation for the end of year
onslaught which is gonna include Soulfly, Korn, Sepultura and Carcass.

Judio!
July 27th 2013

I had really low expectation for this in the first place, but FFDP sold out? They were already radio-
friendly metal for middle schoolers, so what's the difference?

Recommended: "cavity search at the airport." Haha nice, have a pos.

Digging: Moonsorrow - V: Havitetty

Darkvoid67
July 27th 2013

I guess my justification for it is that at least on AC they covered topics like suicide which is something vaguely redeemable, even if it was aimed at a teenage crowd. This just exposes them as a punch of wimps

DrGonzo1937
July 27th 2013

The band is one big cliche.

Durrzo
July 27th 2013

When I was younger I really dug Way Of The Fist, it was a fun listen when I was just getting into
metal, but yeah everything that has come out since has been truly awful, and going back and listening
to it now even that is pretty much shit. And yet people keep supporting them. Uhg.

Scoot
July 27th 2013

heard one of their newer songs on sirius and lol'd hard

sounds like three days grace

ILJ
July 27th 2013

"Quite what message the title track of this record is, is quite frankly beyond this reviewer. "

this beginning of this sentence reads extremely clunky. otherwise, very well written review.

always kinda hated this band

Owantjaaaa
July 27th 2013

Is this that commercial band that makes anti capitalism songs?

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

Cipieron
July 27th 2013

they're the skittles walking contradiction of music

Mister Twister

Recs made me lol

evilford

Lol this review almost makes it sound as if this band hasn't always sucked shit

sixdegrees
July 27th 2013

I gave ur mom a five finger death punch

Digging: School Food Punishment - Air Feel, Color Swim

SowerKraut

Five finger jack off

DrGonzo1937

Lol this review almost makes it sound as if this band hasn't always sucked shit

It's true, they've always sucked shit

tempest--
July 28th 2013

"Much better albums are coming out soon (Chimaira, The Defiled, Fleshgod Apocalypse, heck even IWABO
will probably be more fun than this)"

lol