Uriah Heep
Into the Wild

good

by Daniel Dias USER (95 Reviews)
July 26th, 2013 | 26 replies

Review Summary: The end?

Into the Wild was Uriah Heep's 22nd studio album and it was released in April 2011. This is the 2nd album that featured the following line-up: Bernie Shaw; Mick Box; Phil Lanzon; Trevor Bolder; Russell Gilbrook. After Gilbrook's exceptional performance in the band's previous album he established himself as the permanent drummer of the band. In 2008 the release of Wake the Sleeper was unexpected and surprisingly positive. The album itself wasn't exactly innovating or groundbreaking but it was extremely well accepted by the critical press and the longstanding fans. It turned to be a good comeback, a return to form. Russell Gilbrook proved to be very important to the other members of the band, who desperately needed a proficient drummer, and this line-up's success led to the release of one more album.

This album easily turns out to be pleasant to listen to. The members of the band are focused and they're amazingly connected with each other. The production of the album is also very good, and each musician can live up to his task perfectly. There are some minor flaws throughout the album, but what else could we expect from these guys, at this point in their career? We couldn't ask for an album as brilliant as Demons and Wizards, could we? The strong opener Nail on the Head gives us a clear picture of the entire album. Its dynamic and style is incredibly nostalgic, being a bit similar to Suicidal Man. The chorus is very catchy but it gets so repetitive. Nonetheless, this song is perfect for an opener. I Can See You gets even better. It is very stepped up and the instruments create a great environment. Mr. Lanzon showcases his abilities with amazing organ riffs, and Box's solo is wonderful.

Into the Wild's lyricism deserves recognition. The band manages to recapture one of Uriah Heep's trademarks: the fantasy lyrics. Trail of Diamonds is possibly the song that has the best lyrics: I had a dream at daybreak, the whole of time stood still; and in my crystal vision I saw a shadow on a hill; and then she started walking into the bright blue sky; I tried to follow closely and I knew the reason why. Coincidentally, this song is possibly one of the biggest standouts. It's very intriguing/imaginative and it's the song that adequately showcases the musicians' creativity. Then, they basically drain inspiration from other bands. But that's not a bad thing at all. Money Talk, for instance, is very AC/DC influenced. The main riff is similar to most of Angus Young's riffs. Bernie Shaw's voice is amazing in this song and he perfectly cooperates with Mick Box. Southern Star turns out to be a good mix of folk and rock music. It's not exactly the best song of the album, but one can easily listen to the song without feeling bored.

Sadly, some of the songs fail to be captivating or minimally interesting. T-bird Angel is probably the least interesting song of the album. The musicians seem to be uninspired and Shaw can't seem to sing with soul in this song. The organ riff is actually interesting, but it can't save this. Believe only turns out to be a radio-friendly ballad and it's not appealing. The rest of the album is actually very solid. Probably there aren't any new Uriah Heep classics but some of the songs are very strong and catchy.

Overall, Into the Wild managed to showcase the best out of each member of the band. Excluding 2008's Wake the Sleeper, it's probably the best album with Phil Lanzon and Bernie Shaw. In May 2013, bassist Trevor Bolder died of pancreatic cancer and rumors are starting to suggest the end of Uriah Heep. I don't know if the band will not release more albums or not, but if Into the Wild represents the end of an era, I can easily say that this end is as good as it could be. Bravo!

Recommended Tracks

Wilco SchmilcoProphets of Rage The Party's Over
Elemantra Foreign BreathThe King Blues Off With Their Heads
Kruder and Dorfmeister G-StonedWolfmother Victorious

July 26th 2013

It's done! Tell me what ya think.

July 26th 2013

Yah buddy i'll prob do a uriah heep ranked list after this.

July 26th 2013

Thanks to everyone who read em consecutively ahah.

(edit)

July 26th 2013

Thank you bro, your advice really helped me.

Nagrarok
July 26th 2013

Congrats on finishing man. I found this one pretty enjoyable, though it's the only newer Heep album I've heard; dug into what I hadn't heard of their discography a while ago, but I didn't feel the urge to continue after Fallen Angel.

Excluding 2008's [i]Wake the Sleeper[/b]

You might want to clear this bit up, but have a pos.

July 26th 2013

Thank you Nag, your writing has been really helpful for me to learn.

nvm

Nagrarok
July 26th 2013

Your Deep Purple and Sabbath discogs were great and your writing was really inspiring and helpful to me.

Happy to help ;)

Btw, there are some Heep albums you could listen in the 80s and 90s

Haha, I thought you might say that. Might get into those at some point, but tbh they're not exactly a priority.

July 26th 2013

I understand. There are no essentials but they're a fun listen.

manosg
July 26th 2013

Congrats dude. You showed a lot of dedication and progress throughout those reviews. POS!

Digging: Limbonic Art - Moon In The Scorpio

July 26th 2013

Thank you very much, my friend!

MrSirLordGentleman
July 26th 2013

Congrats man, awesome discography, I really like to read your reviews , pos'd :D

Thank you Lord.
You should listen to this album.
Maybe you'll enjoy it.

nice job on the discog

Thanks Mena :]

Jethro42
July 26th 2013

''Excluding 2008's [i]Wake the Sleeper[/b]''

as Nag pointed out before me.

Review was well written. Nice job on the discog indeed.

TrueBlood