Megadeth
Risk

1.0
awful

by ElectricFuneral9719 USER (43 Reviews)
July 25th, 2013 | 26 replies | 1,079 views

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Thanks For Reminding Me Dave, But That Doesn't Make This Any Better!

With 'Risk', Megadeth hit a real low. 'Cryptic Writings' wasn't great, but it did have some impressive stand-out songs and it didn't have anything as bad as even the best song on 'Risk'. There are no songs that even come close to saving this album, which is the main problem with the album; it doesn't give you anything worth listening to or something to redeem the album apart from the rare good moment like the main riff to 'The Doctor Is Calling' or the solos in 'Time: The End'. It's an almost depressing drag though lazy song structures, cringe-worthy vocals and ridiculous over-production.

There are many, many points on 'Risk' that will make you go “Dave?! What the hell were you thinking?!” like the purposeless introduction to 'Crush 'Em' ('Enter The Arena') or the one and a half minute rant opening 'Prince Of Darkness' with Dave Mustaine talking about how he is “More powerful than all the armies of the world” or “More violent than violence” (which is quite hilarious given that it turns into a weak pop metal song replete with pathetic chugging, presumably trying to win over metal fans with fake heaviness). Both of these do not transition well at all into the next section and without them, this album may have been improved a little. The worst sin committed here, though is the blasphemous bridge of 'I'll Be There', which disgraces the lyrics of 'In My Darkest Hour' (one of the best Megadeth songs, by the way), saying “In my hour of need, you WERE there...”. In fact, the entire song is pretty much the polar opposite of 'In My Darkest Hour' in quality, message and what it represents and it is quite possibly the worst song that Megadeth ever made.

I suppose Dave Mustaine isn't the only one to blame for this though, as most of the songs are also credited to Marty Friedman, who, at this time, you would expect to offer something more metal given his wonderful soloing but sadly, this was not to be. The bulk of the songs consist of slow, plodding radio rock and Marty has some responsibility for it along with Dave Mustaine. The real enemy, though, is someone who wasn't even involved in the creation of the album; Lars Ulrich. Suggesting that that a rival band should take more risks is not advice, its sabotage; when have you seen an experiment by a popular band go well? Rarely. Because Dave Mustaine was envious of the success of Metallica, of course he would accept the challenge.

It seems that the lyrics “The more seriously I took things, the harder that most became” from 'A Tout Le Monde' apply to Dave Mustaine's search for monumental commercial success, as the more mainstream Megadeth turned after 'Countdown To Extinction', the worse their albums sold in the nineties. 'Risk' is known as a permanent scar on Megadeth's discography for a reason; this is a risk that should've never been taken.

Megadeth EndgameMegadeth United Abominations
Megadeth The System Has FailedMegadeth The World Needs a Hero
Megadeth Cryptic WritingsMegadeth Hidden Treasures
2.3

Friday13th
July 25th 2013

Good review. Kinda lol how you found a way to blame Lars Ulrich for this.

Digging: Khan - Space Shanty

RunOfTheMill
July 25th 2013

lol I love how you rec'd Demolition, St. Anger, and GHUA (which you hated irrc).

Nice review, pos'd. Kinda surprising this has the same lineup that did RiP.

ViperAces
July 25th 2013

this isnt that bad. just boring

XulOnerom
July 25th 2013

The lyrics to ATLM go "The more seriously I took things / The harder THE RULES became"

YoYoMancuso
July 25th 2013

Lars Ulrich is the root cause of every problem on Earth

ViperAces

good review, but:
"that that"

Gwyn.
July 25th 2013

From now on everything bad that happens to me I will blame it on Lars

thumbcrusher
July 25th 2013

lars seems like an alright guy to me these days

LepreCon
July 25th 2013

Change the quote from ATLM and the review is spotless. I disagree with the rating, it may be bad by Megadeth standards but it's still miles better than a load of crap that does deserve a '1' rating.

damn sup con

tempest--

HEEEEEEEEEEE'S DANCIN' ON THE BREADLINE

Judio!
July 25th 2013

It's not Lars' fault for how Risk turned out. I blame Mustaine for taking Lars' advice. Why in the world would anybody take Lars Ulrich's advice on anything?

Digging: Converge - You Fail Me

facupm
July 25th 2013

your username tempted me to jam some sabbath

Digging: Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

SlMBOLlC
July 25th 2013

dude get rid of the metallica referance pls almost turns my pos into a neg

PsychicChris
July 25th 2013

Debating if this is better than Super Collider. It's not brilliant but it has its moments.

DominionMM1
July 25th 2013

"Kinda surprising this has the same lineup that did RiP."

no menza, man