Adventures
Clear My Head With You

Release Date: 06/18/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Every day is an adventure

Adventures are an indie/emo band formed from three of the members of hardcore punk band Code Orange Kids. They are fairly unrecognized, at least here among the sputnik community. They write music that takes influence from the old emo bands of the 90s, Sunny Day Real Estate, Mineral, Braid, those sorts of bands. Their music remains somber yet catchy, reflective yet invigorating, poetic yet straight-forward. They take everything that is enjoyable about indie/emo music, and amplify it to the maximum, and create hooks so attention grabbing and memorable that even your goldfish would remember them.

The music itself is a very subdued version of indie rock, almost crossing the barrier to emo, especially with the emotive singing and yelling of guitarist Reba Meyers. The drummer, Jami Morgan, retains his hardcore influence, with his drumming remaining very upbeat, with a lot of tom hits. Their music rides the border between upbeat and emotive quite nicely, with songs you could cry to, or dance to. The album also features a lot of bass, most notably on the outro of the second song Promise, my personal favorite here. The song features an ultra-catchy chorus with infectious guitar chords that just make you want to move.

Adventures write music about everyday life; they write music for everyone. Their lyrics aren't about their parents dying, they’re not about anything incredibly specific; they’re about things that happen to everyone. For example, the first song I Can’t Stay, which is co-written by both Jami Morgan and Reba Meyers says,

“Take a ride in your car
Take a walk to your house to fill the holes in sentences
To question sincerity lost in stature.
So I pick and I pull at the facts that my chest needs to give up on me
As your words start to shrink into the weakness of knees
And with the quickest of ease my hands start to shake, cause I’m not walking away.
It only took one call to recognize that I can’t stay.”

This EP is only four songs in all, and spanning only about ten minutes, but it is most certainly short and sweet, and will never lose your full attention. Adventures may be a sad band, but life is sad. Adventures create music about life.

Julia Brown An Abundance of StrawberriesElvis Depressedly mickey's dead
Alex G DSUFlower Face Homesick
Big Nig Marque un: le point de vue de nigs résuméRue Morgue Rue Morgue

July 24th 2013

This turned out really short.

But oh well, this album is short.

Digging: Yung Lean - Unknown Memory

Also this band has 5 members, it's just 3 of them are from CoK

July 24th 2013

I would revise the "yet" sentence in the first paragraph and make it a little more "elegant" i guess. Also the description you gave for the lyrics was a little vague. Maybe be a little more specific about the content then give your example. Ive only written one review and I'm an engineering major so taking my writing advice with a grain of salt. Definitely better than the etienee review though Posd yakity

July 24th 2013

Thanks Ibby, you should really check this album out

Emo music is kowai.

July 24th 2013

Hahaha straight to the point huh?

TrueBlood

here because yak milk

July 24th 2013

You should dig it Ib, it's not too twinkly or sappy.

A bit post-hardcorey even.

July 24th 2013

I'll listen later when i give American football another go too.

Will check

3 should be three

"They write music that seems to take influence"

I've been learning about the importance of getting rid of filler words that usually end up making sentences weaker. For example, "seems" here makes you seem like you're taking less of a claim, like idk maybe they're influenced by these guys, you don't want that.

"This EP is only 4 songs in all, and spanning only about 10 minutes"

four and ten

"It remains somber yet catchy,"

I wouldn't use "it" here. Perhaps "The Music" "Their music" whatever

You don't really say anything specific about the music, there's no frame of reference, you just assume the reader knows what Sunny Day Real Estate, Mineral, and Braid sound like.

You got a pretty good start of a review here, I would recommend adding more detail about the actual sound of the music

Digging: Viper the Rapper - You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack

TrueBlood
July 24th 2013

^now there's a nigga who cares

July 24th 2013

Anything to help a brother out

Also they say teaching is the best way to learn, so yeah. I've been trying to up my game lately after Aids talked shit about my reviews

Thanks a lot Treb, I appreciate it

Rev
July 24th 2013

good review, but I'd suggest giving it more weight to justify the 5 rating, even for an EP as short as this

JasonCarne

This is pretty good.

July 24th 2013

Yeah, I just love it a lot.

Thought it needed a review.

July 25th 2013

Added a new 2nd paragraph

August 8th 2014

i should've reviewed they're s/t badly instead of this one so i could comment on it cause its the one i jam still