Sick Puppies
Connect

2.0
poor

by VigorousDuck13 USER (6 Reviews)
July 24th, 2013 | 12 replies | 1,311 views

Release Date: 07/16/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A poorly executed copy and paste of "Dressed Up As Life" meets the cliche radio-rock songs of tri-polar

Rewind back to 2007, when Sick Puppies was on a slight rise of popularity with their melodic and catchy single "All The Same". While a lot of the album followed the tone of that song, it managed to feel balanced and polished. Lyrics that you could relate to and could easily be defined as "Very Acceptable".

Then comes 2013 with "Connect" which absolutely destroys everything I loved about the band. It's clear that Sick Puppies have always had their strengths and comfort in acoustic songs, but here they even fall flat. Not to mention the unbearably dreadful rougher rock songs such as "Gunfight". While the song has a killer guitar riff, the lyrics are terribly cliche. Shimon in his obnoxious cocky australian accent belts out "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight you'll lose". Standing as one of the worst songs the band has done. While the albums short in it's hard rock songs, the acoustic songs also come across as pathetic esque-ballads. The main reason for this is how dreadful the vocal peformances and lyrics are. Another example of dreadful lyrics is in "Telling Lies", while one of the better songs of the album, one line absolutely murders all the tension and anger earlier in the song. "She walks naked in the bedroom, as I'm lying on my back, and says "Baby please be honest....have I been getting fat?".

Problems among the whole album is inconsistency. Almost every song has a part of it you might slightly like. Whether it's the riff, the intro, or the chorus. There is depressingly one con in every song, whether it's a lackluster riff, or a terrible line delivery. Another thing sadly brought out of focus in the album is the bass riffs. When there actually is one in the song it seems to be barely audible. Such a shame with how much of a beast Emma Anzai truly is. If you don't believe me listen to the bassline in "Nothing Else Matters".

The only consistent strength to be found in this album is it's acoustic riffs. While they are all somewhat simple, they all fit the songs well. With accurate timing with the vocals and an organic raw sound. Other little bits and pieces are acceptable in this album. Like the decent chorus of "Telling Lies", and more involvement of Emma Anzai delivering chilling vocals. Some of the stronger tracks among the pack are worth listening to such as "Connect". Despite anything that may make the album slightly better, all I feel is remorse for listening to this incredibly disappointing album. If you've heard "Dressed Up As Life" this album will destroy any respect you had for a once great band.

Pros: Acoustic Riffs
Anzai's vocals

Cons: Lyrics
Shim's vocals

Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP 2Hollywood Undead Swan Songs B-Sides
Three Days Grace One-XThirty Seconds to Mars Love Lust Faith + Dreams
Thirty Seconds to Mars 30 Seconds to Mars
Nathan Taft (3)
“Connect” is a flawed album kept afloat by Emma Anzai’s sporadic appearances and a few other g...

Joel Hargreaves (2)
Maybe the Sick Puppies are caught in their own riptide and are unfortunately going down... see what ...

July 24th 2013

Dressed up as a life was actually prett cool and they have a good bassist. Sucks they just keep getting more generic

Digging: Somos - Temple of Plenty

FearThyEvil9

Couldn't agree more Atari

someguest
July 24th 2013

radio rock is dead, more so than radio hip-hop

Digging: BABYMETAL - Babymetal

RogueNine
July 24th 2013

"There's no going back / the past is in the past."

Like...really?

July 24th 2013

@RogueNine Yes really I was majorly dissapointed when I heard that single. I lost all hope for this album that day.

@Atari Spot on mate.

July 24th 2013

Don't forget to leave a pos or neg guys.

brandontaylor
July 24th 2013

i enjoyed Dressed Up As Life and one or two songs off Tri-Polar back in the day, but after reading this i don't see myself checking this new album out

TooManyFriends
July 24th 2013

I cant believe they wanted to rhyme "There's no going back" with "fuck that going back"

peartnoy
July 24th 2013

wow so disappointing. These guys showed some great musicianship on their precedent albums, but now everything is dumbed down and the lyrics are awful.

Cipieron
July 27th 2013

it's funny

the singer is a fuckface

and i'd love to facefuck the bassist

peartnoy