People In Planes
People in Planes EP

by Old Uncle Al USER (86 Reviews)
March 26th, 2006 | 7 replies | 1,976 views

Release Date: | Tracklist

I'm quite a sucker when it comes to EPs. I'm always eager to hear more from my favorite artists, and am always willing to spend a good $12 on a four track EP. They're perfect for me. I like to listen to full-length cd's, except I never have the time to listen to it in a whole (except when reviewing them) and get a natural feel for the album, so I just pop in an EP and it's over in about 15 minutes. Most EP's hold a good place in my heart; Death From Above 1979's Heads Up, Alexisonfire/Moneen's Switcheroo, Death Cab for Cutie's Forbidden Love, it seems the list can go on. But enough of my rant of EP's.

I first saw the video for If You Talk Too Much (My Head Will Explode) in January. It's an okay video, somewhat ignorable, but it was the music that caught me. It embodied a hard rock spirit, but it was formed into a beautiful alternative piece. This is when I decided to get People in Planes' EP several days later. What I discovered was... well, let's just review the album already, huh?

People in Planes EP:
The Players:

Garth Jones - Vocals
Peter Roberts - Guitars
Kris Blight - Bass
John Maloney - Drums
Ian Russel - Keys

This EP is excellent. There are four tracks on here and they're all either excellent or great, each with something different to offer. Some are not as good as others, but you hardly notice as each song is enjoyable to a certain extent. The best songs are not hard to point out. If You Talk To Much (My Head Will Explode) and Falling by the Wayside are equal in terms of songwriting and musicianship, but coming in at a close second is the greatly enjoyable If You Talk Too Much (My Head Will Explode) may not start out promising; an opera voice over piano chords. But eventually, you get taken back to those Neil Young Freedom days. Acoustic riffs with low chords supporting a gloomy lead riff, and great vocals performances. The chorus is better, with the consistancy of "If I talk too much my head will explode..." going into an overlapping state over slow and dark music. A harder verse comes in with more pronounced lead, and this is where the song starts to take a good hold on you. Followed by another chorus and going into a bridge, sporting more impressive vocal performances and some great lead riffs. Another chorus with a more impressive musical and vocal performance leave this song in deserve of many awards. Purely enjoyable, and there's nothing wrong with it. The best song is Falling by the Wayside, and acoustic, dark ballad that showcases the bands ability to be very beautiful, and being able to keep the rock at the same time. After a dark verse, you go into the spectacular chorus featuring impressive guitar performances and great vocals ("I'm losing controll..... falling by the waside") as well as the most notable rhyhtm performance on the album, not for it's ability to rock, but for it's ability to be solemn and yet powerful. The highlight? The whole damn song. A great ending.

Alas, there are some less great songs on here, though they still have the ability to leave a good impact on the album. On For Miles Around, People in Planes showcase they're more alternative side with a fierce guitar hook and pronounced drums in the verse accompanied with a good, agile vocal performance that quickly leads into the chorus, which is overall pretty good, but dissapointing as this song takes on too much of a Nickelback or Default tone, except it's actually listenable. Then it's back to a People in Planes song, adding a wailing lead guitar which makes this song a little better. The chorus this time around is more enjoyable, focusing more on the music than the vocals. A space-like bridge breaks up two chorus', and does a good job linking them together. An overall good song. Moth is a little bit better. It has a more indie tone to it than anything. A quick riff, filling drums and a decent vocal performance make the verse a very good piece of music. And when the chorus kicks in adding all the instruments, it's even more enjoyable. Faster paced with a very good vocal performance, which stays as good through the three parts of the chorus. The lighter rock, the heavier grunge-influence, and then the force-powered hard rock. There is a couple of miscellaneous solos in the following verse, making it that much more enjoyable. Another chorus, followed by a chorus-like bridge with more power and eventually a verse riff to seal it off.

Overall, this is a great EP, with two really amazing songs, and two not-so-amazing songs, making it a very fair listen. The best part on the album is when the softer parts kick in, as seen on Falling by the Wayside, my personal favorite. But there is also a great performance of pure alternative rock on the album, making it that much more enjoyable. So, if you like good alternative rock, I suggest you buy this EP. It's a good bargain for $6.

Standout Tracks:
Falling by the Wayside
If You Talk Too Much (My Head Will Explode)

Thanks for reading,