Isis
Wavering Radiant

by jacobybelgium USER (1 Reviews)
July 23rd, 2013 | 18 replies | 1,206 views

Review Summary: Almost haunting in its beautiful complexity.

After listening to this album countless of times through and through, I've come to a solid conclusion that Wavering Radiant is indeed the most essential album in Isis' discography. This album is absolutely necessary. With exemplary titles already under their belts, post-metal juggernauts Isis have willingly run into a corner, and are determined to make a last stand with one last record before their inevitable breakage.

As many would agree, Isis' 2004 outing Panopticon was arguably their best effort to date. Beautiful compositions such as 'So Did We' and 'In Fiction' shot Isis straight to the top the underground metal scene. However, the band saw a slight decline in quality with the 2006 release of In the Absence of Truth. This album didn't necessarily bring anything new to the table, and no standout songs really beat any of the lower-end tracks from the previous record. Though a disappointing release, this shortcoming was quickly overlooked by what was yet to come. Enter Wavering Radiant, their penultimate record that would soon change the way post-metal was seen for years to come.

Clocking at just over 55 minutes, Wavering Radiant is a journey best taken straight from beginning to end. Opener 'Hall of the Dead' brings forth an eerie vibe and fantastically sets the mood for the album. Brazen guitars and forward-thinking drums propel this song forward, urging the listener to continue until the conclusion. The stark heaviness from track 1 is also shared by track 6, '20 minutes / 40 Years'. The deep crushing bass lines and revolving guitar tones are enough to make one's head spin, accompanied with an extremely well-done music video to boot.

Though the album may be Isis' heaviest outing yet, the record also displays a myriad of ambiance, no doubt further solidifying their grand knowledge of sound manipulation. Stand out tracks of this style include 'Ghost Key' and album closer 'Threshold of Transformation'. Beautiful leads and swirling tones accompany track 2 with grace and precision, all the while showing its ferocity like two sides of a coin. Though all tracks are wonderful in their own right, the final track of the album is in a realm all of its own. 'Threshold of Transformation' testifies that Isis isn't going down without a fight, and the song's masterful buildup and soul-crushing ending prove exactly that. It simply is a masterpiece to behold, and the final chorus is enough to bring a tear to my eye.

Often overshadowed by previous release Panopticon, many argue that Wavering Radiant shudders in comparison, though I say otherwise. Panopticon was its own release, and it's had its day. Isis' latest release deserves your full attention and gratitude. Let this album grow on you. Soak in every melody and appreciate what art is in its truest from. Once every crushing beat has you mesmerized, every pluck of the string has you hooked, I guarantee you'll never want to go back.

ZombicidalMan (4)
Isis create their most natural sound yet, but lose the strength from past works by doing so....

Matt081 (4.5)
With Wavering Radiant Isis leave the material world behind creating a mirror like distortion of real...

Keelan H. EMERITUS (4)

Andrew H. EMERITUS (4)
If this record proves anything, it's that Isis are a fully-functioning organism...

July 23rd 2013

First review, started with one I love. Any criticism is welcome!

Tyrael

20829 Comments

Your intro reads like something I'd put in the conclusion instead

If I were you, I'd put the song titles in between quotation marks, like this:

And album titles in italic, like this:

To put something in italic, you just need to put [] whatever you want to put in italic [], and you fill the box with i and /i

these are of course nothing but suggestions but they make the review a bit easier on the eyes, other than that, very good review for a first, keep it up :]

July 23rd 2013

Thanks, wasn't sure how to format it correctly. Really appreciate it!

scissorlocked
July 23rd 2013

it's a good first review

If I were you I would try to avoid using many hyperbolic claims such as

or
Soak in every melody and appreciate what art is in its truest from. When every crushing beat has you mesmerized, every pluck of the string has you hooked, you'll never want to go back to shoddy metal ever again

they usually make the review seem less credible and sometimes fan-boyish.

noted, thanks!

DominionMM1

Digging: Townes Van Zandt - In The Beginning

mindleviticus
July 23rd 2013

This is my favorite ISIS album and one of my favorite albums. Good review!

kingjulian
July 23rd 2013

Great, great, great first review. Nice to see WR get some love.

climactic
July 23rd 2013

with the 2008 release of In the Absence of Truth.

2006

NeroCorleone80

Great record , not a 5 though

Digging: Howlin Wolf - Howlin' Wolf/Moanin' in the Moonlight

Thanks climactic, changed.

also fixed one italic mistake

thanks kingjulian! Really appreciate it

johnnydeking29
July 23rd 2013

Excellent review, even though I don't agree with everything (Panopticon>Oceanic>this, ITAOT had several standouts and several weak tracks, Celestial is WAY heavier than this (and so is Oceanic)), pos'd hard
Great first effort as well

Digging: Envy - A Dead Sinking Story

July 23rd 2013

Thanks! Personally I'd have to put Panopticon as a close second to this simply because Syndic Calls fell a little flat for me while this record was all perfect.

NeroCorleone80

I like Panopticon, Oceanic and ITAOT more than this

johnnydeking29
July 23rd 2013

Haha I think the same but with Altered Course instead, this is very nearly second equal with Oceanic tbh, but Oceanic is so much of a powerhouse that it edges it

SCREAMorphine