Nosound
Afterthoughts

by aggelosm USER (5 Reviews)
July 19th, 2013 | 81 replies | 5,063 views

Release Date: 05/06/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A musical journey...

Staring a beautiful landscape and waiting for the sun to hide into the ocean.. That is what I felt while I was listening to the album “Afterthoughts”, by the Italian composer Giancarlo Erra and his band Nosound - which is possibly one of the most beautiful albums of 2013 and another great album in Kscope catalogue.

Their music draws inspiration by bands like Porcupine Tree (early days), Pink Floyd and Sigur Ros. This kind of progressive rock music with a dose of ambient details is greatly combined with the sad atmosphere of the album and the result is nine beautiful songs. Despite the fact that “Afterthoughts” and all the albums by Nosound have the same sad feeling, there is light into them. Maybe it’s just me but I really think of brightness instead of darkness while I’m listening songs like “In My Fears” or “Wherever You Are”. The song called “She” is one of the greatest moments of the album and it’s a proof of what I wrote about brightness. Despite the melancholic and sad lyrics of the song, the overall result brings you pictures of you next to the girl you love, gazing a bright and clean sky in a peaceful landscape. Beautiful isn’t it?

However, there is not only light but dark too. The song “Paralysed” is the saddest and the darkest song of this amazing album. The gloomy lyrics talking about destroyed hopes and fears, the incredible slow guitar solo , a part which G.Erra sings in Italian and the breathless and long scream as an outro gives the most ‘Floydish’ song by “Nosound” and one of their most psychologically heavy songs.

So… To conclude this review, “Afterthoughts” is a perfect album, or almost perfect. The only flaw of the album is the accent of Erra’s singing but I didn’t really care because the overall result is truly emotional and beautiful. Give yourself a chance to listen to this album and travel with it in bright or dark places. “Afterthoughts” is bittersweet…so does life.

July 19th 2013

Plz people. Listen to this one...

Any constructive criticism is welcome

warlordfun
July 19th 2013

sweet review, nice and short. I liked the second paragraph very much. i really need to listen to Nosound. Besides, i want to take a break from all the power and thrash metal staff that i've been into recently.

Digging: Lords Of The Crimson Alliance - Lords Of The Crimson Alliance

July 19th 2013

thank you! you should definitely check this one..

LightRedFloyd
July 19th 2013

It's about time someone reviewed this. I didn't bother reading it though but I just saw the 5 and scrolled down here and started writing this comment and I'm not going to read it so you can just get over it and I'll neg your ass if you have a problem with that.

insomniac15
July 19th 2013

I considered reviewing this when it was released, but I haven't listened to anything before it. It is a good record, however, it's not a 5, maybe a 4. Pos.

Digging: Karma To Burn - Arch Stanton

TrueBlood
July 19th 2013

been hearing about this a lot, gotta sheck

Looks like it might be interesting />

GnarlyShillelagh
July 19th 2013

this album has been like a sleeper this year but like everyone knows about it too it's weird

bakkermaarten007
July 19th 2013

Sounds promising, will check. And have a pos for the accurate description.

July 19th 2013

It was a hard decision for me to choose between 4.5 and 5. But I really enjoyed it...

Mad.
July 19th 2013

Argh, you beat me to it. I'll be reviewing the Nosound discog at some point. Review was good bar a few grammatical errors and the album... what an album.

Nosound are hugely underrated on this site. Anyone who likes this should definitely check A Sense of Loss and Sol29, and as for Erra's voice, I think the accent helps give it a kind of exotic and Italian feel and they complement the music really well, especially in this album. Chris Maitland's drum work is also brilliant.

Digging: Dwellers - Pagan Fruit

Don't be mad mad. :D

Yeah...album is great and it's so overlooked on sput.. I Haven't heard all of their works yet. Only
this , sense of loss and at the pier. But this one...omg!

Gmork89
July 19th 2013

Really liking this, nice and straight to the point review btw. This reminds me of a less rocking version of Riverside.

Digging: The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

Drummerboy123
July 19th 2013

Yeah album is incredible.

Digging: Sleepmakeswaves - Love of Cartography

July 19th 2013

This reminds me of a less rocking version of Riverside.

Yes... And his voice is pretty similar with the voice ofduda

johnnydeking29

Good review bro, pos'd
This sounds great; if I had more money I'd probs order it and listen when it arrived, but I've got too much on my plate atm to listen...if you shoutbox me in a week, I'll check

Digging: Naked City - Radio

Vakarian12
July 20th 2013

this needed to be reviewed gj

manosg
July 20th 2013

I must admit that I wasn't aware of this album but your review and all those comments have made me curious to give it a spin.

Also, review is well written, pos.

Digging: Donovan - Sunshine Superman

July 20th 2013

Thanks guys. I'll remind you johnny

Mad.
July 20th 2013

Posted my review of the debut, just thought I'd say go check it

SlMBOLlC