Cyclone Temple
I Hate Therefore I Am

by Mister Twister USER (23 Reviews)
July 17th, 2013 | 14 replies | 753 views

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A fairly unique thrash album which is more melodic than the typical effort, while retaining the harsh biting edge the genre is famous for.

Coming in during the dying days of thrash metal, Cyclone Temple were doomed to fail from the very beginning. Rising from the ashes of an already obscure thrash band, Znowhite, Cyclone Temple coughed up two albums before disbanding, left to fade into obscurity. Fortunately, the internet exists, and they have received recognition for the quality releases that were all but ignored in their time. The first of these albums, I Hate Therefore I Am is a rather unique album in that it features more melodic influences while still being abrasive and aggressive enough to entertain hardcore thrashers.

The first thing one will notice upon listening to this album is the more melodic influences. Brian Troch's vocal performance is rather soothing and adds an emotional edge to the album, while still being harsh enough to contribute to the sections of pure thrashing. Many tracks begin with a softer segment, or have slower passages laced within. Tracks such as the stellar Words Are Just Words or the album opener Why showcase these qualities melded together expertly, and create an enthralling experience for the listener. However, the band does not rely on these sections as a crutch, as proven by Silence So Loud, which is a thoroughly entertaining 4 and a half minutes of pure speedy, crunchy goodness.

As mentioned, the melodic elements are not the only thing this album has going for it. Anybody searching for just plain quick and harsh headbanging music will not be disappointed either. Riffs are everywhere, and each song is distinctive enough that they are easily distinguished from one another as they power along each song with their crushing force. Musicianship is nothing particularly special, but the album works better without moving into wank, and still showcases instances of impressive playing on tracks such as March For Me, Die For Me, proving that the composition is simply restrained, rather than going overboard.

It is quite unfortunate that I Hate Therefore I Am had faded into obscurity and went ignored by the general public for so long, as it is an impressive effort that is under-appreciated and quite enjoyable. As one of the dying beacons of light from the then-dwindling thrash metal genre, I Hate Therefore I Am is an album which should not be missed, as it has been for so many years.

Highlights:
Why
Words Are Just Words
Silence So Loud

Tantara Based on EvilPentakill Smite and Ignite
Powermad Absolute PowerTime Requiem The Inner Circle of Reality
Warbringer IV: Empires CollapseUltimatium Hwainoo

July 17th 2013

Written for KILL because I wrote a review for Cryonic Temple and he thought it was for this and he was disappointed.

Words Are Just Words is probably the best song I've heard in a while.

ResidentNihilist
July 17th 2013

First two tracks rule on this.

July 17th 2013

Whole thing rules pretty hard. Third track is my personal favorite here, it's so great. First two are also excellent, of course.

Yazz_Flute

lol the album title

Digging: The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

July 17th 2013

It's better than the album title implies. Remember that this was the nineties.

JasonCarne

Awesome album.

ConcubinaryCode

2062 Comments

I mean they're not the best band ever but to title their album that makes their hate pretty irrational imho.

Madbutcher3

Words Are Just Words is pretty damn fantastic

Oh and Pos'd

sweet album gj

Digging: David Axelrod - Song of Innocence

ffs
July 18th 2013

reall y hated the vocals on this iirc

July 18th 2013

The vocals are kind of out of the ordinary for thrash, but I find they fit well with the music and add an anguished emotional feeling that doesn't seem forced or take away from the aggression.

July 3rd 2014

So good. I always return to this album, I love it.

July 3rd 2014

I love it so much I f*ck it.

July 3rd 2014

Lol btw I just found out Brian Troch (the guy who sings on this record) is now a born again Christian. http://www.godrevealed.com/site/2012/11/05/the-testimony-of-brian-troch/ It seems he's been through a lot this past 25 years. It's okay if this helps him in life, but blaming everything bad (alchohol, drugs, commercial failures, etc.) on Satan is just ridiculous. It's too bad though, he was quite talented and had a unique voice in my opinion. Knowing all this almost makes this album more eerie. It also takes me back to a very certain period of time long ago, when everything was pretty much in flux heavy metal music-wise. It's definitely an underappreciated and special album.