Defeater
Letters Home

by Robert Lowe CONTRIBUTOR (88 Reviews)
July 17th, 2013 | 89 replies | 11,025 views

Release Date: 07/16/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: And still all I see is that bastard in me

The saga continues, yes the melodic hardcore band with a penchant for storytelling known as Defeater have released yet another concept album about an angry white man in his early 20s, and this time they went all George Lucas on us and made it a prequel about the wife beating father of the boys from the previous albums when he was younger. What they should have learned from the Star Wars prequels is that no one cares what the villain of your story was like when he was young. We don't need to see that he was an angry white twenty something year old just like his kids, we could have easily inferred that for ourselves. While Defeater's previous album Empty Days and Sleepless Nights story about the brother of their debut album Travel's protagonist was interesting because it was the other side of the Travels' coin that repeated some of the same events, but from a different point of view, the story of the characters' dad has no logical connection to the other two stories and is simply not worth telling. With all that being said, an album that has a lot going on musically could easily be forgiven for its unnecessary story and uninteresting lyrics, but unfortunately Defeater's third full length album Letters Home is as uninteresting musically as it is lyrically and conceptually.

The biggest problem with Letters Home is that very few of the album's ten tracks stand out at all. The opener "Bastards" is excellent with its frantic pace, great guitar riffs, and catchy refrain "And still all I see is that bastard in me," but none of the succeeding tracks even come close to being as good as the opener. "No Saviour" stands out because it sounds the least like Defeater of all the tracks on the album, but that doesn't make it a good song. It starts off with melodic and emotional guitar chords that build up and explode when the rest of the band comes in, and of course it all breaks down halfway into the track, and it all just comes off as a typical emo tinged melodic hardcore salad with Touche Amore light dressing added on top. The overly long, drawn out closer "Bled Out" is the most disappointing of all the tracks on Letters Home. It's a really slow track that has this really simple main guitar riff that just drones on for six minutes with not a lot of dynamics, and it just doesn't cut it considering Defeater's history of excellent album closers. A couple songs such as "No Shame" and "Dead Set" slow things down in an attempt to try something new, but these tracks like most other tracks on Letters Home lack anything interesting musically and drone on as boring background noise. Ultimately, Letters Home is about as average as a melodic hardcore record could be, and it is less fast, less melodic, less emotional, less creative, and most of all, less interesting than all of Defeater's previous albums combined.

Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) You Will Eventually Be ForgottenKyary Pamyu Pamyu Pikapika Fantajin
Brave Bird T-Minus Grand GestureOld Gray/Tiny Moving Parts Split
Banner Pilot SouvenirCarissa's Wierd Songs About Leaving
3.3
Jacob R. STAFF (3.5)
Let me be damned....

NothingForSomething (3.5)
Defeater’s third LP is what you make of it....

Charlie (3)
Defeater's third outing "Letters Home" is largely competent but ultimately forgettable, and sees the...

ALucidReality (3)
Letters Home has all the elements needed to be a classic hardcore album - most of the time found in ...

July 16th 2013

This review is really symmetrical looking, I like it

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

July 16th 2013

Very nice review, I like the concise approach. These guys never really impressed me, so I doubt I'd like this.

Digging: Maybeshewill - Fair Youth

dimsim3478
July 16th 2013

Great review. Everything you said was true, and it was well put and concisely packed.

Cygnatti

Defeater The Other Ones
Touche Amore Speaking of Beating a Dead Horse
Departures Is Better
Verse Did It Better
I'm dying

Letter's Home

Apostrophe looks pretty out of place

other than that I don't have any problems with this review, nice score. pos

Digging: diSEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence into the Peripheral

... if i could lol

ti0n
July 16th 2013

must agree on that closer
maybe gonna 3.5 it. nice review trebs.

yea biches

Fixed, thanks gwyn

Omaha

Nice feature, Sayid.

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

cvlts
July 16th 2013

still havent gotten around the listen to this... couldn't possibly be as bad as everyone's making it out to be.

Omaha
July 16th 2013

Yeah, I have a feeling I'm going to dig it more than most of these bitches. But I don't listen to true hardcore~~~ so no surprises there!

tommygun
July 16th 2013

proofread man apostrophes like whoa

Digging: The National - Cherry Tree

July 16th 2013

It's def not ATROCIOUS or anything like that, it's just p boring and i can't tell if this is them trying way too hard to get their past glory or just phoning it in

BassDemon333
July 16th 2013

Album isn't bad at all. Solid Defeater, and thats fine.

Digging: Mudvayne - L.D. 50

x1186x
July 16th 2013

Lost Ground is still their crowning achievement. This isn't bad but it definitely feels like the music and writing is becoming monotonous.

BassDemon333
July 16th 2013

If they keep up this story for much longer it will. Maybe make an album about the mother if they REALLY feel the need to keep this story going still then move onto something else but they really should start a new storyline.

SgtPepper
July 16th 2013

Great review, Robert. Sadly I can't comment on the music because I have never heard a single song by these guys, but I have been seeing their name pop up everywhere, so I'm somewhat curious to check them out.

Digging: Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty

dylanjones42
July 16th 2013

Nice write up man. I'm scared to listen to this. I wasn't really even impressed with Empty Days so I really doubt I'll enjoy this at all. Sad because I loved Travels so much.

Hep Kat
July 16th 2013

this is even shittier than my writing

Digging: Botany Boyz - Forever Botany

FromDaHood
July 17th 2013

Tell me more about the guitar riffs plz