Aaron Trinkner
Always Waiting

by Alex Trinkner CONTRIBUTOR (71 Reviews)
July 16th, 2013 | 24 replies | 1,029 views

Release Date: 07/12/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Sitting pretty in the pew was the love I thought I knew.

Sometimes it is nearly impossible to not hold some sort of bias when listening to certain artists. No matter what Holy Vacants is going to end up sounding like, I am fairly certain it will be one of my favorite releases this year, and regardless of any mitigating factors I know I will love any piece of music Aaron Weiss’s name is attached to. While reviewing with any semblance of bias if often gazed upon despairingly, it would prove difficult to find a review that doesn’t imbue certain biases. When it comes to Aaron Trinkner, it does not make much sense to attempt to pretend there isn’t an inherent sense of bias regarding his music, as he is my twin brother. While this may seem to some as an insurmountable source of bias rendering my opinion on the matter useless, I would staunchly disagree, for the fact that Aaron Trinkner’s second EP Always Waiting is another superb release should not be lost on listeners due to the mere fact that this reviewer happens to be a blood relative.

Trinkner’s use of minimalistic recording techniques are well known to those who have listened to but a single song released by this 19 year old songwriter, as all of the tracks are recorded on a household computer using usb microphones and free recording software. But don’t let this description serve as a reason to not give this record a chance. Through intertwining effects laden guitars and tasteful harmonies, Always Waiting never has a dull moment. Songs flow effortless through unconventional structures all while having a sense of cohesion far surpassing any preconceived expectations. Album opener “The Names, The Faces, The Fears”, opens with a single guitar and reverb laden vocals, scooping and sliding through snaking guitar parts until a climatic build, backed by impassioned harsh vocals, almost too quiet to hear, yet loud enough to make the intended statement. This loud/soft dynamic is prevalent throughout the remainder of the ep, with songs constantly ebbing and flowing between soaring choruses and subdued verses.

This time around Aaron Trinkner forgoes using unconventional instrumentation, instead opting to manipulate the soundscape using different effects on his vocals and his guitar, a technique that makes for a more focused and definitive record. While there is a lack of “experimentation” in the sense of instrumentation, these five songs go places Trinkner hasn’t gone on past releases, be it the use of harsh vocals or his falsetto. An atmosphere is created on every track, be it the ominous album opener, or heavy “The Return”, the latter having one of the most interesting and all around captivating instrumental breaks Trinkner has ever recorded.

With Always Waiting listeners are treated to an obviously matured lyricist in Aaron Trinkner. Gone are the occasional lyrical hiccups and awkward phrasings, as Trinkner seems to have meticulously penned each and every line. “I Won’t Wait” sees a pensive and vindictive young man sharing his soul ahead of simple clean guitars and temp changes. Every song on this ep deserves some sort of mention; be it the emotional climax of “My Pulpit” or the jazz inspired outro of “Carrying The Fire”, every song has at least one thing lending to immediate replay value. At a mere five tracks, Always Waiting is by no means a chore to listen to, and given a chance, has the potential to become a record worthy of repeated listens.

Trophy Scars Holy VacantsSeahaven Reverie Lagoon: Music For Escapism Only

To Be Kind

Reflektor

St. Vincent

July 16th 2013

So i'm pretty sure that this is a great record, and it deserves some attention. It's available for free streaming and free download at his bandcamp, so go check it out.

I'd listen to "The Return" if you only listen to one track.

GnarlyShillelagh
July 16th 2013

is this like your brother or something?

it's his twin brother

Digging: The Avalanches - Since I Left You

July 16th 2013

I can't tell if you're joking or not lol but if you're not..

"When it comes to Aaron Trinkner, it does not make much sense to attempt to pretend there isn’t an inherent sense of bias regarding his music, as he is my twin brother."

July 16th 2013

capt did that like 4 times, didn't he?

July 16th 2013

funny that actually turned out to be seedofnothing because some people had long speculated that they were the same person (the two would show up at the same time/places. seedofnothing disappeared but only reappeared for a while just to review capt's new record), but were never so sure because the two talked to each other like they weren't.

July 16th 2013

Yeah.. I can barely play powerchords on a guitar so you don't have to worry about me ever writing a review for any "songs" i ever write lol

Calc

11922 Comments

for a second I thought you reviewed yourself and was gonna be like "oooooooooooh maaaaaaaan woooooooow" [2]

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02

July 16th 2013

At the top of my review is says my name : (

CK
July 16th 2013

If I had twins, I wouldn't give them such similar names. I'd name one Alex and the other like Zamboni or something

July 16th 2013

Aaron and Alex aren't thattt similar of names

ABjordanMM
July 16th 2013

Cool man. I'll give it a listen.

CK
July 16th 2013

I look at the A at the beginning of the name and don't focus too much on the rest. I'm a guy that recognizes faces, not names.

So in your case I'd be screwed no matter what

July 16th 2013

@abjordan it's worth a listen or two

@ck it's okay. Good thing we will never meetlol

Ecnalzen
July 16th 2013

Zamboni could be a solid name for a boy.

Digging: O.C. and Apollo Brown - Trophies

July 16th 2013

Really? I wouldn't want that to be my name..

Ecnalzen
July 16th 2013

It was probably sarcasm, but I can't be sure.

So, your bro made an album, eh? That's pretty cool. From what I am getting out of this, it looks like he did this all himself. Is he just going to do solo stuff, or is he going to get a band together at some point?

July 16th 2013

Didn't you review one of his albums before?

It's hard not to assume that you're being a homer by giving family a 4.5, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Digging: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus

July 16th 2013

sowing, he said that before this one and the one before it, he didn't really dig any of his brothers stuff, at least not to that extent.

July 16th 2013

I'd give it a chance. Sounds good.