Soundtrack
Pacific Rim

by Alex Beebe USER (126 Reviews)
July 16th, 2013 | 28 replies | 3,788 views

Release Date: 06/25/2013 | Tracklist

Just after releasing the soundtrack that vividly brought to life the third season of the epic medieval fantasy world of dragons and magic that is Game of Thrones, Ramin Djawadi’s latest collection of compositions score a film in the completely opposite realm of futuristic sci-fi, Pacific Rim, in which humanity’s survival depends on the forces of enormous mecha “Jaegers” built to defeat the giant monsters, “Kaiju.” Having previously composed the score for the first Iron Man, Djawadi has had prior experience in creating themes for technologically advanced robot battle suits, and much like the Iron Man soundtrack, Pacific Rim’s score is very guitar-driven and fittingly for Pacific Rim, opts for a tone that’s just plain fun and kickass while remaining thrilling. There aren’t too many action films anymore whose soundtracks are concerned with trying anything else but being gripping and grim at an overtly constant rate, but Djawadi makes the right move of not taking it too seriously with the musical cues he constructs. There’s moments of captivating tension here as any film with action sequences should have, but those moments feel all the more intense since there’s a concise supply of them.

Tom Morello also works with Djawadi for the first time since Iron Man’s soundtrack and just as he did with that score, brings his signature brand of riffing funk swagger to enhance the guitar assault on a good share of cuts, though with the difference this time around being that this music is on a much more grandiose scale than Iron Man was. That grand-scale feeling makes for very expansive music that has plenty of room to fit massive battles between mecha and Kaiju, and Djawadi makes sure to fill that space with a plentiful arsenal of styles such as industrial, orchestral, and heavy metal. Glitching synthesizers pound and echo as guitar riffs pummel like the hulking masses of machinery in the film, but among the soundtrack’s 25 tracks there’s just as much urgency as there is confidence and triumph. There’s even some brief cues of quirkiness and traces of despair and defeat. To say the least, Djawadi made sure to cover all bases here in terms of mood and emotions, and even without Morello’s assistance on the guitar fronts he proves to be perfectly capable of banging out grooving rhythms with plenty of attitude and drive.

Pacific Rim’s music is as enjoyable as the film for many of the same reasons. Its biggest concern is being awesome on a scale of awe, and sporting just as much style as substance. It’s the first action movie score in a while to primarily and proudly boast themes that electrify without feeling the need to brood, and one can only hope that other composers will follow suit.

Les Claypool's Duo de Twang Four Foot ShackPeriphery Clear
Nickelback The Best of Nickelback Volume 1Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP 2
Active Child RaporJustin Timberlake The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2

sweet

breakingthefragile
July 16th 2013

First review after a month long break, so I might be a little rusty. I want this review to signify the start of something new I've been wanting to attempt for a while. From this point on I'm going to try exclusively reviewing new soundtrack album releases for films, TV shows, video games, Broadway productions, anything in the genre because I think it's heavily overlooked and it's usually damn good music.

So yeah, feedback is welcome as always. Cheers!

Digging: Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted To Know...

amemento
July 16th 2013

got soundtrack is really good hope this is too

tommygun

swee movie

Digging: Obliteration - Black Death Horizon

Omaha
July 16th 2013

Fantastic work, Alex. I've been told I need to see this, but I'm afraid it may be too action-movie-esque for me.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

tommygun

it rules see it anyway

Calc

11977 Comments

you were already the only person on the site reviewing country and mainstream releases now you're gonna be the only one reviewing soundtracks on the reg.

such a pioneer

Digging: Kashiwa Daisuke - April. #02

theacademy
July 16th 2013

are you a real person lol

wabbit

lol

Jash
July 16th 2013

"to enhance the guitar assault"

"guitar assault"

"assault"

"ass"

July 16th 2013

My GOD I want to see this sooooooooo badly!

Digging: Hey Rosetta! - Seeds

MMX
July 16th 2013

Go see it now, great movie

Digging: 68 - In Humor and Sadness

July 16th 2013

Pretty impressive movie. I wasn't expecting it to be so good.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

Acanthus
July 16th 2013

Soundtrack didn't stick out that much to me during the film, not sure if that was due to it doing its job or being lackluster.

Need to check this out and give it a proper listen.

Digging: The Cure - The Head on the Door

Jash
July 17th 2013

Same with me, I can't remember any music but a couple of the orchestra pieces

July 17th 2013

Man that was a fucking amazing movie, even if it was one big cliche.

scissorlocked
July 20th 2013

movie must be pretty good

Digging: John Roberts - Ausio