Orchid (USA-CA)
The Mouths of Madness

by Rastapunk USER (29 Reviews)
July 15th, 2013 | 29 replies

Release Date: 05/14/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Traditional Doom Metal from San Francisco.

2013 is the year of the return of traditional doom metal. With Black Sabbath releasing a long awaited album with frontman Ozzy Osbourne and Orchid releasing their second album The Mouths Of Madness, this couldn't be better for Doom lovers. Orchid is still an underground band, building a bigger fanbase with every release and concerts they are giving. Originated in San Francisco, the band started in 2007 and have released a total of two records and three EP. One could easily mistake this band for a Black Sabbath cover band as their sound is greatly influenced by the metal pioneers.

Mouths Of Madness is a perfect opener for this album. It gives you a good preview of what to expect until the end of the LP: slow Doom riffs, Rocking guitars and a a great doomy vocal performance. Like Ozzy Osbourne, Theo Mindell is the perfect match for the sound the band is trying to achieve. All along the listen, we are gifted with headbanging riffs (Marching Dogs Of War) and stunning performance by all musicians. One notable highlight is Silent One, an over seven minute masterpiece that starts the same way Electric Funeral (Black Sabbath) did.

One could just say they are just doing what Sabbath did, and are adding nothing to the mix, that would be wrong. Orchid's touch on Traditional Doom comes in play in songs like Mountains Of Steel with a great piano solo. The production is definitely trying to recapture the old feelings of albums like Paranoid and Master Of Reality. This album is full of tasty solos and riffs from the guitars, bass, drums and some harmonica.

If Thirteen never made it to the stores, this would have definitely been the record of the year in the Metal genre. The band's fanbase is growing exponentially yet they are still unknown to many potential fans. The feeling you get from listening to this record is as close as you can get to listening to masterpieces like Black Sabbath Self Titled and Paranoid. Orchid is on its way to becoming one of the best Doom Metal band of today, and this albums proves it.

Groundation A MiracleGroundation Hebron Gate

Black Sabbath Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath Paranoid

MrElmo

1955 Comments

Digging the artwork but don't know anything about this band though

insomniac15
July 15th 2013

The album is good, but it gets boring towards the end. They rely too much on that traditional sound, which is cool, but it's too much at some point. Also, I found Capricorn slightly better.

Digging: The Ting Tings - Super Critical

Rastapunk
July 15th 2013

I felt the solos made it less boring, loved that record

XingKing

Not skramz

Gwyn.
July 15th 2013

the fags on the last.fm page because of this band are intolerable

JasonCarne
July 15th 2013

Pretty cool record, but it's more like a 3.5.

Digging: Echoes (UK) - The Pursuit

manosg
July 15th 2013

I'll probably check this out. Review is short and sweet, pos.

Digging: Acrimony - Tumuli Shroomaroom

Rastapunk
July 15th 2013

Thanks for the input on the review Manosg. I felt it was a little too short, was I wrong?

July 15th 2013

Orchid dudes should sue for using their name

Digging: Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

XingKing
July 15th 2013

There is no way they give a shit

demigod!
July 15th 2013

suing and lawyers are totally un-punk

Digging: Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright in the End

July 15th 2013

This band took over the most played for last week on last.fm though

manosg

@Rastapunk

If you can get the message through with a short review that's fine. On the other hand, a long review needs to be interesting in order not to bore the reader. Your review is a bit short but it's fine.

Good band.

Digging: Mare Cognitum - Phobos Monolith

auberginedreams

faux orchid

sixdegrees
July 15th 2013

True music listener listen to Orchid (Alexander Tooth) and Orchid (indie pop). [3]

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

FourthReich

needs skramz agreed

Cygnatti

good dig, reichy ^.^

FourthReich
July 15th 2013

thanks idk why they aren't more popular

SteelErectedb4you8er
July 16th 2013

I was actually thinking about reviewing this since it has been awhile since I have done a review. I love Capricorn, that is where I feel in love with them, but this album had to grow on me. I feel like though, on this album, they expanded their sound from just Black Sabbath. Songs like "Nomad" and "Marching Dogs of War" show some of their own identity. Good review though.