Dangers
Messy, Isn't It?

by andcas USER (5 Reviews)
July 9th, 2013 | 25 replies | 1,225 views

Review Summary: Dangers up their musical ante and move forward as a band and in the hardcore world, even if some of their identity is lost in the process.

"It's so nice, to wake up in the morning all alone, and not have to tell somebody you love them, when you don't love them anymore"

For all the doom mongering lyrics and the seemingly unending, shallow spite that many may get out of Dangers's music, these words right here ("Love Poem" written by Richard Brautigan and a very recurring theme in the album), are a perfect representation of the band's path, and, by extension, this record.

You see, the guys from Dangers are clearly smart, they know exactly what they want to do with the band and what they don't, even if figuring out exactly what is in their minds can prove quite tricky. As an example, we have this album. I mean, just look at the cover, some of the lyrics, and if you wanna venture it out a little more there's also the unsettling (to say the least) full image of the cover. While many of those type of themes were there with Dangers since the beginning, never before were they this evil and often sadistic. So it makes you wonder: Is this still really the same band?

Let's be clear; For all the endless savaging that the lyrics and the rest of the band provided with their past efforts, there was still a visible, if very (very, very) strange lightheartedness to it all, partially because most of it was so... Well, ***ing funny, and the band never tried to hide it, with many of the performances bordering on straight tongue-in-cheek, which often made you wonder how actually serious they were on many of the not-so-funny moments. So you really need to ask yourself if they truly knew who they were or are they doing this for simple evolution? After all, many of the original band members are now gone, so changes are only a realistic expectation, but this?

The album certainly puts you in a test to answer this multiple times, and it wastes no time in challenging: The very first line spit in the entire album is "Why didn't you kill yourself today?". But this is not all; The riffs feel so much crunchier, Al Brown's vocals have lost all their traces of tongue-in-cheek-ness, for a no-nonsense venom spit that stays through out most of the album. The atmosphere is so much darker, you feel the tension rise up in your very guts until the band finally decides to hit you with all they got and refuse to stop.

The lyrics have suffered a severe overhaul; They continue to be as in-your-face as they always were, but many of the most obvious slams and straight forward venom spitting found in Anger are now not only harder to really understand, but they also begin bordering on a type of psychotic poetry that, when put together to how vicious the band continuously is through the album, makes it almost impossible to laugh at or enjoy in the most happy of ways, even at the times were the band has obviously dropped it and decided to call back to their funnier style ("Jeremy spoke in class today, and this is what he said: I raped Alice in Chain with my Nine Inch Nail, and now her Reading Rainbow's dead").

However, let it never be said that a stylistic change always means regression, because the band most certainly did not do this. For the most part, almost everything about the technical aspect in the band has been considerably improved, and the band displays a terrific chemistry that surpasses the previously seen (which was excellent in itself). The biggest improvement is found in the guitar; The lead guitarist from before was one of the casualties in the band's numerous line up changes, and you can tell; While they usually try to keep it straight forward without trying to steal the spotlight too much from the lyrics, on many occasions the guitarist performs some excellent guitar work that never quite steals the spotlight, but is more than appreciated (i.e. Listen to "I'll Clap When I'm Impressed"). The rest of the band, unfortunately, give you a little sense that they attempt to hold back; The bass never gets anywhere other than "decent", and it's never trying to be anymore than that, simply attempting to be a base for the rest of band to go nuts, but never does it itself. The drums are often fantastic, but usually serve little than another way for the guitarist and the vocalist to shine through, and it's a shame. But, at least, the band works off of each quite well, and it never feels like there is anymore in need, so there is that.

With the severe change in sound, Dangers have slowly but surely began making themselves a name in the hardcore world, but it's unclear whether they'll ever ascend to the heavens with the extended periods of time in between each record and the notable lack of communication from them. However, it should never be left in doubt that they are, at the moment, one of the most exciting and important to-look-out-for bands in the new decade for the hardcore world, and it seems unlikely anyone will be taking that place away from them.

Rationalist (4)
Overall, this is a harrowing descent into the minds of the band members of Dangers. The music is ent...

Jared W. Dillon (4)
Dangers make diverse and technical changes to their sound resulting in their best overall record....

Eric (4)
Intense, isn't it?...

Well shit.

If this review seems a little bloggy-ish to you is because this was never intended to be a review, or
did i really ever intended to review this in the first place, but I was clearing out my thoughts on
the album and started writing a few notes, and without realizing I had basically written a review. So
I re-read it, added a couple of things, made a few changes, and figured I'd post it. Hopefully this
marks the end of my writer's block!

Plus too much fucking letlive. so had to make a change.

toxin.

#yolo

sixdegrees

monrning

Digging: TIMO DA LEGEND - molsom love/my life

YakNips
July 9th 2013

I always love Gwyn and sixxy's avis

Digging: I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism... - 8 Song Demo

;]

Scoot
July 9th 2013

need a new album from these guys

Digging: Acme - To Reduce the Choir to One Soloist

July 9th 2013

they've been hinting at it severely so hopefully we're lucky by the end of the year

July 9th 2013

I absolutely love the closing track. When those drums crash in and it just slowly plods along? UNNFFF!!!

I don't really think this review reads like a 4.5, to be honest. It kind of sounds more critical, if anything

July 9th 2013

A lot of my points aren't put as praise, but I don't really think they read as critic.

I tried to put as me being ambiguous as to what I thought of the lyrics and the changes and all until
the last few paragraphs were I moved to praise.

henryChinaski
July 9th 2013

Always wanted to check this out. Sweet artwork.

Digging: The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

July 9th 2013

Do it man, totally worth it

sixdegrees

MONRNING

July 9th 2013

Hm, never seen the full artwork. As suspected, the woman is quite unpleasant to look at

hmm

henryChinaski
July 9th 2013

Unpleasant because she's old? :] I think all in all that vinyl looks awesome.

climactic

album is crazy

someguest
July 9th 2013

When did crazy become a synonym for boring? I've never seen the gold with this album.

Digging: BABYMETAL - Babymetal

July 9th 2013

Her nose irritates me, her complete lack of chin, those weird lips. It's an irrational hatred for her face that is made even worse when I have to see the rest of her

SpritzSpritz