Letlive.
The Blackest Beautiful

by G.M.B. USER (18 Reviews)
July 8th, 2013 | 117 replies

Release Date: 07/09/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A testament as to why every aspect of an album is important.

Of all the albums I've listened to in the past couple years, most likely over a thousand at this point, letlive.'s Fake History is one of the handful that still gets regular, constant plays. To me, it's everything that modern post-hardcore should be, and while many insist that they're only enjoyable because they rip off of some of the older greats of the genre (Glassjaw leaps most readily to mind,) I say: who better to rip off? Fake History balanced on that tightrope between heavy and catchy quite well, and Jason Butler's vocals gave the album an extremely distinct, and somewhat wacky, edge. While the album was by no means perfect, it was certainly, forgive my hyperbole, a shining beacon in what is modern day post-hardcore.

The Blackest Beautiful is still decidedly letlive. but has a much more melodic edge than their previous album. Just like on Fake History Jason Butler somewhat steals the show, carrying the album on his back when it might be instrumentally lacking. It's choc full of his trademark rantish passages and his fairly distinct cleans. That's not to say that the instrumentation is bad though, as it too has its moments of shine. Musically, the album is a bit of a step down from Fake History but is still quite solid.

At this point, you're probably wondering why I have this rated as low as I do, when it's obvious that I have few qualms about the music itself. To make a long story short, the production on this album is awful, so much so that it really ruins the album for me. To be clear, I'm not by any means picky about production. While I can certainly appreciate a well produced album, or an album whose production may not be stellar but fits the music perfectly (as on Fake History) it's rare that production actually hinders an album's quality for me. But alas, The Blackest Beautiful has such poor production that I find it rather difficult to see past it.

To put the production in perspective, it's like downloading a 320 kbps leak (come on, I know you've all done this) only to find that it's really just a muddy, awful sounding 128 kbps transcode. This might be a slight exaggeration, but it's in the ballpark. The guitars are muffled and lack any kind of punch whatsoever, the drumming is way overproduced which is extremely detrimental for an album in this vein, and Butler's vocals are painfully overproduced at times as well. To give this such a low score based on production alone is probably a bit harsh, but it baffles me that this kind of production made it onto the final master of the album.

Long story short, The Blackest Beautiful is an otherwise solid effort marred by extremely poor production quality. Everything that you either love or hate about letlive. is present, but lacks the production necessary to really give an album like this the punch it should have. It's by no means a bad album, but it serves as a startling reminder that each and every part of the process of creating an album is important.

The Dear Hunter The Color Spectrum LiveMade In Heights APORIA: IN THESE STREETS
Jacco Gardner Cabinet of CuriositiesThe Angels of Light We Are Him
Lindsey Stirling Lindsey StirlingBring Me the Horizon Sempiternal

ILJ
July 8th 2013

I'll probably catch some flak for this, but it needed to be done.

If you catch mistakes, please let me know.

Digging: FKA Twigs - LP1

Tyrael

20971 Comments

BigPleb
July 8th 2013

Liking this more than Fake History.

A pretty easy task, mind you,

Digging: Arc Iris - Arc Iris

July 8th 2013

Unbearable, post-hardcore is officially dead

Digging: Friendzone - Collection 1

Spec

lil b sucks

SeaAnemone

20970 Comments

just finished listening to this and it's horrible
the only thing separating it from the lowest of Hot Topic scenecore is a smidgeon of self-awareness
deleting this right away, can't stand to have it next to Leonard Cohen in my library
every song is formulaic save the last (which just draws things out)
production is (obviously) atrocious
it's more of just post-hardcore (though semi-aware of their influences here, seemingly) appealing to the lowest common denominator

the album art is pretty sick though

Digging: Viet Cong - Viet Cong

climactic

19983 Comments

listened to 1 song on youtube and had to quit halfway through

Digging: Downfall of Gaia - Aeon Unveils the Thrones of Decay

FearThyEvil
July 8th 2013

Yeah, this album really does suck and the production only makes it so much worse.

JackSparrow
July 8th 2013

You write good reviews man. Haven't heard this yet but I'm bracing for the disappointment

porch
July 8th 2013

band sucks and their main influences suck, they never had a chance

AliW1993
July 8th 2013

Pretty good review overall, though you do repeat yourself a little towards the end.

I've not heard the record yet. I plan to seen.

pepster50
July 8th 2013

you guys are fucked this album is great, but ya, the production blows.

SeaAnemone

20970 Comments

not sure why more glassjaw fans aren't drooling over this tbh

porch

yep

JazzHands333
July 8th 2013

I miss when post-hardcore meant Fugazi

charlie15
July 8th 2013

Great review man. Hit the nail on the head. Production is awful. Would've been a 4 for me otherwise

Spec

Well deserved feature.

TooManyFriends
July 8th 2013

If you think the 320 kbps version sounds like a 128 kbps transcode thats because it probably is the transcode. It was circulating around for weeks. I have a legit 256 version and it sounds fine but still, nice review

FourthReich

not sure why more glassjaw fans aren't drooling over this tbh

wish this sounded like glassjaw lol

Azn.