bansheebeat

3.3

by Jacob Royal STAFF
July 7th, 2013 | 1175 replies | 23,675 views

Release Date: 06/28/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Full-fledged nostalgia.

Spiral Power is rooted in nostalgia, but for experiences I haven't even had. It’s a strange sensation, to listen to the album and get lost in thoughts that belong to someone else-- they’re vivid, even, as if I’m being strung along in someone else’s fantasy world. Bansheebeat is the one responsible for this sense of deja vu without cause, because his world is illuminated in exactly the way he wants it to be. He aligned Spiral Power’s inner architecture as he liked, steady and careful, and as a result the album conveys his thoughts to us, channeling them into our subconscious.

As a result, Spiral Power specializes in its own breed of cerebral storytelling. Maybe its most definitive moment is “Tepplin,” pure ecstasy with no shame-- the track shows Bansheebeat at his most instinctive, so it may be the most telling piece here. When its chorus kicks in there’s not a worry in the world; neither is there in the places the song causes me to imagine, like losing myself in the foot traffic of the congested city, taking in the neon lights above as a guiding light of sorts. And while strolling through the streets on the way back home, “Ninetails” wouldn’t be out of place, a grimy track that functions best when most of the world’s fast asleep. See, Spiral Power patches together a set of ideas that only its creator fully understands-- but the way it relays its intricacies to the listener is what makes it such a special and relatable journey.

As intoxicating as Spiral Power is, there are a couple of issues that bring me back to reality. Some of them are simple enough, like minute production choices that don’t sit well with the the music at hand. Sometimes the drums sound too sterile, like “Forgotten You” and its frail snare drum. It works, but lacks the oomph from which the song could be benefitted. On another note, some of the vocal-driven tracks find themselves falling under their own weight, with their vocal samples lacking that magnetism that’s necessary for maximum potency. In particular, “Mononoke-Hime” features samples that are slightly off-key, detracting from the track’s otherwise exciting momentum. For such a musically rich song, it’s a shame that only one element-- sure, its most important one, but still-- could negate its impact as much as this sample does.

The album also has an inconsistent mood, though, and this is a more pressing matter. For most of Spiral Power, the atmosphere at hand is crystal-clear and easily imaginable, but in other parts the music feels more reaching. When the record aims for subtlety it instead achieves passivity, breezing by without as much as a stir. See “Magnetic Rose,” a tune that wants to be tense, but falls short because of its stagnancy. The song relays a similar message for more than five minutes, and dilutes the momentum the album had acquired up to that point. This wouldn’t be a problem if the subtler ideas were more scarce, but when they comprise entire tracks that serve as cornerstones of the record, things get a bit drab.

Spiral Power’s other ideas are more engaging, and come closer to warranting longer track lengths. A fair amount of them lack the devoted passion of “Tepplin,” or the neon brilliance of “Nightosphere”-- two longer tracks that absolutely have to be as lengthy as they are. But this just makes me realize that this record would function best as a familiar listen all the way through, so that all the tales it tells are of more uniform importance. Spiral Power wants to drop us off in a world we’ve never experienced before, or at least capture the magic of a distant place as if it’s where we were all along. But while much of the record succeeds in this, it also gives the impression of needing time to blossom. Bansheebeat has proven that he understands how to deal full-fledged nostalgia in spades-- now he just needs to find a way to disperse it more evenly.

Tycho AwakeCHON Woohoo!
Cynic Kindly Bent to Free UsOlafur Arnalds Another Happy Day
Icarus the Owl Icarus the OwlBurial Untrue
TMobotron CONTRIBUTOR (4.5)
A high-speed drive through the future that starts at night and ends at day....

July 7th 2013

Stream / download the entire album here at your own price:

This album was created by Sputnik user Rev. Feel free to shoutbox him to tell him how neat his music is.

Digging: Koan Sound - Dynasty

ShitsofRain
July 7th 2013

Where is the Intro from? I really like it.

Digging: Ground Zero - Revolutionary Pekinese Opera, Ver. 1.28

Calc

2 days

oltnabrick

hmmm cool i guess

Digging: Ben Frost - A U R O R A

fish.

20194 Comments

keep trying to download this but my wi fi is awful and the download keeps failing

Digging: YG - My Krazy Life

Ire

wag

July 7th 2013

"Where is the Intro from?"

Rev told me it's from evangalian or whatever that anime and the chords are from that FF song

Digging: More Than Life - What's Left Of Me

July 7th 2013

thanks for reviewing this Jacob! It's an incredible review, though I am a bit bummed this didn't grow on you more =/

Where is the Intro from? I really like it.

the intro scene of Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0

mindleviticus
July 7th 2013

the middle section is so fucking good but the start and ends...man I dunno I just can't get into them

Irving
July 7th 2013

< 3 Sputnik reviewing Sputnik =)

Digging: Caleb McAlpine - All Things New

July 7th 2013

And, like always, the process comes full circle.

NOTINTHEFACE
July 7th 2013

Another awesome one Rev. This will be my "sit in my room and wonder why I'm not in Japan" album of the month. The art helps.

elephantREVOLUTION
July 7th 2013

rev you should get someone to rap on some of these tracks

Digging: IDYLLS - Prayer For Terrene

oltnabrick

ill do it

July 7th 2013

my next EP is gonna play out like a beat tape so maybe I'll send it out to some people

scissorlocked

nice work rev

Digging: Fantastic Mr Fox - Sketches

Acanthus
July 7th 2013

Surprised to see nostalgia mentioned, cool to see what this does to different listeners.

Digging: Flesh Field - Strain

mindleviticus
July 7th 2013

i don't really think it's all nostalgic unless if you think 2005 is nostalgic.

Awesome dig btw Acanthus

woah a feature!

and i should probably finally check out that koi. album after looking at those recommendations

July 7th 2013

Yeah it's definitely one of those albums that different people interpret in different ways.