She
chiptek

by Will Robinson STAFF
July 7th, 2013 | 15 replies | 1,376 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An electronic review that doesn’t mention the so-called “EDM revolution” in America! Wait, dammit

It’s a little unclear as to what she is going for on chiptek. At its core, it seems like a chiptune-meets-electro-house release - most songs have a cracking electric whip of a chiptune hook over mostly four-on-the-floor beats. However, the EP is all over the place - some influence from Far East pop ballads here (“memories,” “1997”), a little pinch of classic Crystal Method-styled big beat there (“intro,” “kicks”). At times, chiptek is honestly befuddling: it’s easy to imagine the title track building perfectly into a festival drop a few times over the course of the song, but it doesn’t climax nearly long or hard enough (sex pun not intended, in fact) to find an easy home at Creamfields or something of its ilk. Brief research into any sort of advice from the artist - an interview, some Facebook information - for making sense of the whole thing only yields more confusion: apparently, there’s a whole backstory behind the album, and, if I may quote the artist’s Facebook page, “the listener decides the outcome of events played out in the music.” (No offense, but what the hell?)

However, it’s precisely this eccentricity which makes chiptek such an alluring release. If there is one straightforward, easily visible fact about the EP it’s that the whole thing is incredibly vibrant. The heavily pitch-shifted vocals and maximalist chiptune-y backdrop of “music” is so chock-full of life that it’s hard not to enjoy yourself while listening (plus, there’s a sweet distorted guitar lick during the final 15 seconds which captures the spirit of the piece perfectly with its kick-ass tapping and great tone). No matter where she takes the listener, there’s always the thread of vitality tying the whole thing together, almost causing the all-over-the-place nature of the EP to knit itself into an easily understandable picture.

The fact that it’s near-impossible to totally understand what’s going on, though, is a testament to just how captivating chiptek is. It’s a wonderful experience, one that makes just enough sense to draw the listener in but that isn’t quite coherent enough to warrant an “I get it” and become boring. It goes in with a bang and goes out almost as quickly, a ephemeral shot of energy which shoots by and leaves the listener scratching his head. The big breakbeats of “intermission” sum up chiptek quite well: it’s close to but not quite stadium-filling, far too short, fantastically animated, and overall a sugary treat which is near-impossible to turn down.

Todd Terje It's Album TimeSkrillex Recess
NickBee Empty Your MindDisney Soundtracks Frozen: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
We Roll Like Madmen The Kids Must DieThe Glitch Mob Love Death Immortality

July 7th 2013

Mad writers block on this one, so I kinda felt like I was just filling space for a while - feel free
to call me out on it if you see fit. Props to Acanthus to introducing me to this, and the summary is a
reference to a quintessentially Dev comment on a Disclosure review

Download: http://www.shemusic.org/ (if you need more specific instructions than this then something is
very wrong)

Digging: Todd Terje - It's Album Time

Omaha
July 7th 2013

Well hey buddy! Pretty nice review here, you give a really good impression of what this sounds like. Only a couple minor things I noticed:

it doesn’t climax nearly long or hard enough (sex pun not intended, in fact)

Well, but wait! If you bring up the pun in the review, doesn't that make it intended? ;0

No matter where she takes the listener, there’s always the thread of vitality tying the whole thing together, and the vivacity of the whole thing almost causes the all-over-the-place nature of the EP to come together.

You use the word 'together' twice here, and 'vivacity' and 'vitality' are too similar for my liking. Maybe condense it into a single phrase, and then tell us why it feels so vital.

Digging: Koan Sound - Dynasty

Rev
July 7th 2013

Great review dude. Album cover is hella kawaii, gonna check this out

July 7th 2013

Thanks Jacob, I'll fix the second one (leaving the 1st in for now haha)

and Rev definitely check this out, I'll post the download link in my first comment (it's free)

Omaha
July 7th 2013

No worries, wasn't a serious point anyways. Adds comedic value too =]

pizzamachine
July 7th 2013

downloaded and listening righttt nooowww

Acanthus
July 7th 2013

Great to see that you liked this so much, band's awesome (recently released a new single too).

Digging: Ayria - Hearts for Bullets

foxblood

great alb

FadedSun
July 7th 2013

Chipputeku. Sounds cool. I'll check it out.

Deviant.
July 8th 2013

Summary would be slightly amusing if you didn't perpetuate that stereotype yourself

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

FrozenVain

lolicore

Very good review! Just randomly listened to Supersonic and it was sweet.

July 8th 2013

On a scale of 1 to 5, where 1 is "ignorable" and 5 is "worth writing a lengthy reply" that comment is probably about a 1.8 Dev, you've done better

Deviant.
July 9th 2013

And yet you created a rating scale for it

July 9th 2013

You gotta give me more material to work from than that Dev, I can't really respond to that comment with any substance whatsoever

stepmaniac