Skillet
Rise

by hcwhite254 USER (1 Reviews)
June 30th, 2013 | 12 replies

Release Date: 06/25/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: If only other reviewers would "awaken" from the doldrums of "Awake", this album offers significantly more effort and substance than the previous platinum album. Here's a fair shake.

In the world of Christian Rock albums, the term "Platinum" is scarce, and that may be either due to the band's devotion to it's message as opposed to it's success, or a non-interest in popularity. Skillet is one of the bands that enjoys both message and multitude, and has done so for 11 years. It's safe to say many reviewers will make the claim that a good Skillet is one that keeps evolving, or roughly putting it, A Skillet that sounds like Skillet doesn't cut it anymore.

Now, everyone, Panheads and regular rock aficionados alike, knows the only strengths in Skillet's previous album "Awake" were the singles. The radio tunes that would eat at your head with catchy lyrics and the staple tracks performed at concerts. "Rise" does have much of the same, but the accompanying tracks (i.e. What I Believe, Hard to Find, Madness In Me, etc.), when listened to by a prepared listener, offer something just a tad different than preceding tracks such as Lucy.

Effort.

After holding serve along side The Black Keys' "El Camino" and Mumford and Son's "Babel", the band actually tried to do better than it has before to spread it's message of love and offer a solution to the tumultuous world of teenagers today. It (albeit during the recording process) attempted to create a concept with all of it's tracks, encouraging listeners to bite at all 12 - 15 tracks depending on the album they bought, and one thing that is hard to deny unless you didn't give the band a chance before opening the album is this.

It's much better than Awake.

Over the last four years, Skillet acquired guitarist Seth Morrison to the fold, and his part in the album is noticeable in tracks such as Circus For a Psycho, Rise, Madness In Me, Freakshow, Sick Of It, and Not Gonna Die.

The ballads the track offers (Fire and Fury, Hard to Find) provide now-common, and still effective call and responses from John Cooper and either wife Korey or drummer Jen Ledger, who is featured more than prior efforts, but also features new instrumentation, with dulcimer and mandolin easily identified by ear.

The story of a teenager coming to age does often get lost due to either enjoyment or confusion during some tracks, and while American Noise and Good To Be Alive are heartland filigrees, they don't seem to be as effective to the listener as the band would hope for. Is it different however? For a band that makes it's bread and butter off of power chords and ballads, it is a step in the right direction, and this group has proven it has the fortitude to continue making music, regardless of the effects of an album that may not deserve to be platinum.

If this one ends up having the same fate, the argument can be made that his album does, in fact, have the stuff to claim that title. It just takes an open mind.

2.4
  • mcdaid (3.5)
    Don't expect this album to be as great as Comatose, but is a better overall album than Awa...

DKaiser (1.5)
    A nostalgic goodbye to a band who traded their edgy image for a position in the mainstream...

Drazor1 (4)
    Skillet has "Risen" back to their former glory!!!...

ButtsweatAndTears (4)
    Skillet make many statements on Rise. The loudest of which being that they're back....

• Will Robinson STAFF (1.5)
    Out of the frying pan, into the fire...

silentstar
June 29th 2013

when Hayley laughs, you know it's bad

ChopSuey

very poor

June 29th 2013

Review is not badly-written, but it's so damn invested in this album which (at least to me) is really superficial and vapid that it doesn't deserve that. Like, Seth is noticeable? I honestly had no idea there was a different guitarist until I started writing. "American Noise" as "heartland filigree?" To me, it's about as authentic as Nickelback going pop (and I mean that)

loneNLwolf

Bad album, good review. Pos'd

joshieboy12345

Fair points reviewer.

savaah
June 30th 2013

you have good writing skills

you have terrible tastes

not sure to pos

hcwhite254
July 2nd 2013

If that is really Hayley Williams, I'm quite honored...Regardless of who it is, the question is, what is so funny about my review? I'm definitely new at this and would like to learn how to better serve both the music I am reviewing and the listeners that turn to my review as a consumer.

Personally, I think I have as much credibility as People Magazine does when it comes to offering my thoughts on an album. The only differences are that they seemed to dislike "Rise" more than I did, and that they got paid for their thoughts.

Out of sheer inexperience, what does "pos" mean? I'll laugh with you while you are laughing at me for not knowing that one.

I don't write to say other listeners are wrong in their own experiences, but to share how I felt. I took the opportunity here because I noticed a difference between my opinion and that of many, and I figured I would come to some common ground. If you were to ask me what the best Skillet effort was, I would have to say Comatose, with Collide very close behind.

ChopSuey

pos= clicking 'Yes' in the 'Was this Review Well Written? Yes | No' section

July 2nd 2013

Hey man, welcome to the site. HayleyWilliams is one of the contributors to the site (Necrotica aka Brendan Schroer) working under an alt (alternative account, his main one got banned), so don't get your hopes up too high haha

If you're looking to get better, I applaud that step - not everyone's willing to receive constructive criticism. Your feelings are perfectly fine to have, and though people will inevitably judge you for giving this album a 3.5 it's up to you to defend your opinions through your writing. However, saying things like "I think I have as much credibility as People Magazine" doesn't help people respect your opinions - this is a music site, not a vapid "star culture" magazine. I really think you're a good writer, but along those same lines you say a lot of things that don't really sound like an individual's thoughts. Case in point:

These three specific examples (in a review full of them) are kind of empty. Like, Example 2 doesn't actually tell me anything whatsoever. "The guitarist is noticeable in these tracks." I really want to see you get better as a writer, and that's what (I'm assuming) you're here for. You have so much potential that it'd be a shame to waste it on throwaway statements like "The band is trying to spread its message of loooove" (not exactly right but you know what I'm getting at). For examples of how to write something like this, check out some staff/contributor reviews. Specifically for defending a mostly-disliked album (and also to throw some of my own work in haha):

Enjoy, and I hope to see you around here and writing more!

July 2nd 2013

Also, the term "pos" refers to clicking the "This review was well-written" button below every user review

ZomarK
July 6th 2013

While I dont necessarily agree with your rating, I really liked your writing as well. It seems too stand out in style in comparison too other reviewers.

AnEpicDeath
July 11th 2013

I really want to neg this out of sheer repulsion from your opinion, but that wouldn't be fair. This is well written; pos'd. The only thing I'd change is the review summary; the pun is cheesy, and the sentiment is slightly condescending.