Attila
About That Life

1.5
very poor

by P.J. Quinones USER (35 Reviews)
June 28th, 2013 | 288 replies

Release Date: 06/25/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: If you want to hear a failed resurrection of previous works, here you have one.

Started in 2005 by some friends fresh out of high school, Attila took a while to rise out of the local scene. In 2010 they attained enough success to sign to Artery Recordings for their 3rd release, Rage, and got them on tour with some household names of the genre. A year later they had the reputation of riffs, headbanging, breakdowns, and rap screams with the breakthrough release of Outlawed. So when they went in the studio to record their 5th album, they had high expectations and quite frankly have failed. About That Life is a sub-par release that fails at imitating the success from the previous two albums.

Attila appears to have had the impression that wringing out the better moments from the previous recordings would result in more success. All this resulted in is an abundance of unnecessary breakdowns and recycled riffs. The lyrics have always been ridiculous when compared to their contemporaries but now they’re completely over the top: “You can do anything you want in life, just don’t be a f***ing b*tch.” The famed rap screams are barely enjoyable as a result of the boring repetitive nature of the songs in which they are found. Fronz is a decent screamer too but he and his band are puking up the dreadful results of choking on a fat ego. A few of the riffs aren’t bad either, and the solos are fun at times as well but the rhythms aren’t good enough for them to sit on. Examples of this are Backtalk, Callout, Shots For The Boys, and Party With The Devil.

At fourteen tracks and a running time of 37 minutes (all songs of 3 minutes or less), there is simply too much material on the album in order to retain the interest of the listener. Both the album length, the overuse of breakdowns and Fronz’s large ego will definitely ward off potential listeners. Whilst the album shows potential in its use of catchy hooks, enjoyable riffs and (rarely) well-placed breakdowns, this is all undermined by the overwhelming stupidity of trying to build upon previous success with a formula drowned in old ideas. Attila has much work to do if they are to recover from this travesty.

The Word Alive RealBlessthefall Hollow Bodies
Bad. Just bad....

WBC Vs. Attila.

YakNips
June 28th 2013

You sure love reviewing bad music.

Pos'd.

Digging: Jordaan Mason - The Decline of Stupid Fucking Western Civilization

June 28th 2013

I honestly don't feel skilled enough to give good albums the credit they deserve. For instance I'm in love with the new letlive. album, but I couldn't do it justice in a review.

TrstN01
June 28th 2013

Backtalk sounds like Area 64-66 by Emmure with better guitar playing.

June 28th 2013

I would never torture my ears with listening to Emmure unless I got paid to. They bad.

oltnabrick

disagree

Digging: Popol Vuh - Nosferatu

DegausserGuernica24

This is Billy Joel's best side project ever. 5/5

You're very clever Degausser

oltnabrick
June 28th 2013

are attila really bout that life?

wacknizzle

this is gold

Digging: Phobocosm - Deprived

bach

Is it facetious gold?

Digging: Tinashe - Aquarius

nononsense
June 29th 2013

The band doesn't give a fuck, I don't give a fuck. It's a fun over the top deathcore album that's not supposed to be taken seriously. Realistically its a 2 overall, but its sure as hell a fun album.

J0ckstrapsFTW
June 29th 2013

I'm only listening to this album crossfaded since that was how its meant to be listened to. #partycore

J0ckstrapsFTW

whoa double post

June 29th 2013

Yeah it's not meant to be taken seriously at all.

Sauce
June 29th 2013

saw the title on the homepage and literally lol'd

Bloodlax
June 29th 2013

I couldn't hear the album over fronz's ego.

But I did seriously enjoy this album, more than I should.

Devastator
June 29th 2013

In "Callout" they scream "Fuck For Today". Why?

June 29th 2013

Because of the homophobic remarks.

Devastator
June 29th 2013

It was an ex guitarist not the entire band.