August Burns Red
Rescue and Restore

by nipplefingers USER (2 Reviews)
June 27th, 2013 | 17 replies | 2,242 views

Release Date: 06/25/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: With Rescue and Restore, August Burns Red transcend the barriers of modern music, genuinely and daringly encouraging their peers to follow in suit or be left behind.

They say that "good" music takes you somewhere. For me, ABR's new album does just that. It's an album with so many beautiful guitar melodies that I find it difficult to choose a song to call my favorite. Upon initial listens, Spirit Breaker caught my attention with the ridiculously high bends near the end of the song; bends that, for one reason or another, make me close my eyes and imagine I'm soaring through the air as if I am the bird in the lyric video ABR released for the song.

However, as beautifully written as that song is, a few more listens brought my attention to the deeper songs on the album, such as Beauty and Tragedy and Count it All as Lost. Although these songs do not have that melodic lick at the onset, each one incorporates an uplifting guitar riff a minute or two into the song to accompany an onslaught of ear-piercing vocals.

But, even with a few more listens, songs like Provision, Creative Captivity, Faultline, and Echoes all found their way to the top of my list. Rescue and Restore is an album that requires several listens before making any judgments regarding it's worth in one's collection. Many will disagree and shrug it off as nothing more than another run-of-the-mill metalcore album, but I feel that to be an injustice to the artwork that Rescue and Restore is.

Go pick it up. If you don't like it, return it. If you do, well, you're welcome.

• BeevyD (4)
    To skeptics, Rescue and Restore provides proof that “metalcore” is alive and well. Whi...

Jesse Knight (3)
    Nothing to write home about, but you can be proud to match this up among your other ABR re...

Benjamino Jackanory (4)
    Shot through with a seemingly inexhaustible supply of adrenaline, Rescue & Restore is a no...

fromtheinside (4.5)
    A revitalized August Burns Red and suddenly the game changes....

• Matt Harrison CONTRIBUTOR (4.5)
    August Burns Red finally succeed in expanding their sound into territory that is both appr...

ILJ
June 27th 2013

"With Rescue and Restore, August Burns Red transcend the barriers of modern music, genuinely and daringly encouraging their peers to follow in suit or be left behind."

that's some drastic hyperbole there bro

Digging: Mastodon - Once More 'Round the Sun

prog is dead

Digging: Heroin Party - Summer Made Me Blue; Summer Gave Me The Sky

sixdegrees
June 27th 2013

also pretty amusing parody review, well done

ILJ
June 27th 2013

there are some long ass sentences in this review, damn. it ain't a bad review but like treb said, it's just metalcore. executed well and perhaps a bit fresh at times though it may be, it certainly is still metalcore and still isn't all that unique. they just pull it off damn well for the most part

LightRedFloyd

lol nipplefingers

paradox1216
June 27th 2013

"With four full-length albums and one well-timed Holiday album"

I lol'd

this album is pretty great

Digging: Braid - No Coast

pepster50
June 27th 2013

haha this was an entertaining review to read. Your a crazy son of a bitch you know that? That being said.. the album is pretty fuckin good.

nipplefingers
June 27th 2013

Drastic hyperbole was what I was going for here. Can you imagine the kind of hyperbole and drawn out sentences that would follow a 5/5? I can't.

J0ckstrapsFTW
June 27th 2013

Album slays a genocidal amount of orphans

someguest

20220 Comments

Transcend the barriers of modern music?

Get the fuck outta here!

Digging: Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

Fluttertrank
June 28th 2013

hahahaha. fucking nice, thats classic someguest.

Aids
June 28th 2013

haha this is the dumbest review, seriously

like, it's written well, but check your facts man. you say some hardcore dumb shit here.

Digging: Ought - More Than Any Other Day

ANJ45
July 1st 2013

"bends that, for one reason or another, make me close my eyes and imagine I'm soaring through the air as if I am the bird in the lyric video ABR released for the song."

Digging: Ozric Tentacles - Pungent Effulgent

MuhNamesTyler
July 1st 2013

I was just about to quote that but you did a better job, bravo

AnEpicDeath
July 2nd 2013

Not sure if this review is serious, trolling, or satire -_-

Your AILD review is very good, but you don't have enough ratings for me to tell if you actually hold
semblances of the opinions in this one or not, and the troll 5 on AILD's Awakened doesn't help my
confusion.

I see that you acknowledged this is hyperbolic, but that still doesn't really answer the question.
What was the intent? If mocking the other reviewers, I approve, as both the (other) 4.5 reviews are
naively over-the-top. If mocking the album, I'm a little disappointed, because I think this is
probably as good as Constellations, which is to say quite good indeed.