Palms
Palms

by RivalSkoomaDealer USER (22 Reviews)
June 26th, 2013 | 15 replies

Release Date: 06/25/2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: While often overly-indulgent, Palms offer a debut that is at times equally rewarding.

It seems fitting that at the time of Chi Cheng’s passing several months ago, Chino would want to pursue some new horizons. He has come on record to say that he was greatly influenced by artists such as Depeche Mode, My Bloody Valentine, The Smiths, and the Cure during his teenage years and he exhibits those influences here with his own unique brand of shoegaze melodies. The wall of sound and atmosphere that Isis have been known to conjure would seem, in theory, to be a perfect fit for Moreno’s melancholic croons. Fans of Isis’ final 2009 release, Wavering Radiant, may look no further for an expansion of the melodic territory they experimented with before their departure. Thus, fans of Isis and Deftones alike know more or less what to expect from Palms’ debut.

Unfortunately, that is the main problem with the handful of tracks presented here. There are few surprises to be had and almost every single track seems to carry on a couple minutes too long. Each present a very subdued, almost hypnotic movement that all seems to run together at times. Mid-way through the album, on tracks such as “Mission Sunset” and “Shortwave Radio,” it feels as if Moreno and co. are simply going through the motions.

Still, there are moments of true beauty to be had here however and it makes for a worthwhile journey through Palms’ 47 minute runtime. “Future Warrior” opens on a high note, climaxing into a chorus that feels powerful but lacks the intensity of either band’s respective works. That restraint seems unhinged only once on the album: during Shortwave Radio’s final minute, in which Moreno shouts “I’m staring into Heaven, while staring into Hell.” The song that sums this up most perfectly would be “Tropics.” The group creates a beautiful blend of shoegaze and post metal on the track that never feels forced and provides a calming atmosphere that is warm and delightful. In contrast, “Antartic Handshake” presents a polar (haha get it?) opposite end of the spectrum from the rest of the album's moods and melodies and ends the album with what is easily the best track on the record. The ultimate payoff is near the end of the song (and the album itself) when Moreno’s vocals become lost within the spacey atmosphere that is presented and allows the boys from Isis to conjure a euphoric instrumental send off.

While often overly-indulgent, Palms offer a debut that is at times equally rewarding. It is easy to become lost in Palms’ brand of dream metal in which the whole is in fact greater than the sum of its parts. Palms debut is a success because, to me, losing yourself is what music should be all about.

3.7/5

Mick Jenkins The Water[s]Perturbator Dangerous Days
PARTYNEXTDOOR PARTYNEXTDOOR TWOWiz Khalifa Blacc Hollywood
Shabazz Palaces Lese MajestyClipping CLPPNG
AaronBatt (4)
A super-group that's worth more than the sum of it's parts...

Ryan Kroner (2.5)
An aesthetically pleasing effort that utterly fails to satisfy on an emotional level....

Peter K. Mark (4.5)
A cinematic odyssey of majestic proportions....

theacademy

koi

Digging: Chris Brown - X

Insurrection

Digging: The Contortionist - Language

SitarHero
June 26th 2013

Seems interesting enough. Will check this out. Good review too. Pos.

Drummerboy123
June 26th 2013

"as much as i love chino hes probably the worst part about this"

[2[

Never before have I actually been like "Chino, shut up and let the instruments speak for themselves".

His voice irritates me at certain points.

RivalSkoomaDealer
June 26th 2013

That's what makes the last 6 minutes of the last song so awesome.

Digging: Danny Brown - Old

Upsidedown_and_Sideways

Insurrection +1 on that.

Wizard

19410 Comments

as much as i love chino hes probably the worst part about this

He makes this so cringe worthy. I love Isis and all but his suckiness as a frontman really hurts this project from really becoming something special. It's like STP hiring the guy from Linkin Park. Wtf are they thinking?

Good review too!

Digging: Khonsu - Traveller

FearThyEvil

as much as i love chino hes probably the worst part about this

He really doesn't give his best effort on this.

Hawks
June 26th 2013

Idk I thought Chino was pretty great on this, but that's just me.

Digging: Engraved - Before The Tales

Acrosstheshield13

"as much as i love chino hes probably the worst part about this" [3]

I've never been a big fan of Chino or Deftones in general..and this isn't awful but i wish they would have just done a new Isis record instead.

Wizard
June 27th 2013

19410 Comments

I've seen Deftones live a couple of times and he was terrible live, sounded like a droning monkey. He is and the worst part of the Deftones and this band, period.

withateethuh
July 7th 2013

I think his issue live is his vocal style. Its really hard to sound consistent when your singing style sounds intentionally inconsistent. If that makes sense...

Ecksavie
August 13th 2013

I actually really dig this and I don't get the hate it is getting.

RivalSkoomaDealer
August 14th 2013

Its pretty bland in certain areas. Been done better by others in the past.

Minomol
November 20th 2013

"as much as i love chino hes probably the worst part about this"

I believe it is not really about effort, more about his voice not fitting this type of music.